The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 148 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 18 of 37 < 1 2 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 36 37 >
Topic Options
#196594 - 12/27/09 07:09 PM Re: What are you reading? [Re: Saundra]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Saundra, can you give some more info? Do they address The Secret? It sounds very interesting. I'm reading Howie Mandell's book and loving it.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#196613 - 12/28/09 01:08 AM Re: What are you reading? [Re: Dianne]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
All of my Christmas cards, yet again. I love some of what was written inside of them...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#196623 - 12/28/09 02:32 AM Re: What are you reading? [Re: chatty lady]
P.J. Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
I am reading The Art of Racing in the Rain right now but when I am finished I am going to read Howie Mandell's book.

#196624 - 12/28/09 02:34 AM Re: What are you reading? [Re: P.J.]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I glanced through Howie Mandell's book at B&N, and want to read it after the New Year. What I read briefly about him was a real shocker to me.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#196645 - 12/28/09 04:53 PM Re: What are you reading? [Re: chatty lady]
MustangGal
Unregistered

I'm currently reading "90 Minutes in Heaven" by Don Piper with Cecil Murphey. I understand it's a true story with regard to God's reality. I've been reading fiction books like "The Shack" of which I enjoyed, yet wanted to read something more realistic. A lady reverand (who is also a fellow horsewoman) loaned me her copy. Gosh, she is actually the 1st lady reverand I've met, have ya'll met any female church leaders? I think a woman's perspective is refreshing.

#196661 - 12/28/09 10:10 PM Re: What are you reading? [Re: ]
Saundra Offline

Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
Hi, Diane. Here's a summary of BRIGHT-SIDED. Yes, she does mention THE SECRET.

A sharp-witted knockdown of America's love affair with positive thinking and an urgent call for a new commitment to realism.

Americans are a "positive" people, cheerful, optimistic, and upbeat: this is our reputation as well as our self-image. But more than a temperament, being positive, we are told, is the key to success and prosperity.

In this utterly original take on the American frame of mind, Barbara Ehrenreich traces the strange career of our sunny outlook from its origins as a marginal nineteenth-century healing technique to its enshrinement as a dominant, almost mandatory, cultural attitude.

Evangelical mega-churches preach the good news that you only have to want something to get it, because God wants to "prosper" you. The medical profession prescribes positive thinking for its presumed health benefits. Academia has made room for new departments of "positive psychology" and the "science of happiness."

Nowhere, though, has bright-siding taken firmer root than within the business community, where, as Ehrenreich shows, the refusal even to consider negative outcomes (like mortgage defaults) contributed directly to the current economic crisis.

With the mythbusting powers for which she is acclaimed, Ehrenreich exposes the downside of America's penchant for positive thinking: On a personal level, it leads to self-blame and a morbid preoccupation with stamping out "negative" thoughts. On a national level, it's brought us an era of irrational optimism resulting in disaster.

This is Ehrenreich at her provocative best, poking holes in conventional wisdom and faux science, and ending with a call for existential clarity and courage.
www.gotteethguide.com for your Free Tips

#196662 - 12/28/09 10:17 PM Re: What are you reading? [Re: Saundra]
Saundra Offline

Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
Just for fun, I read Stephen King's book UNDER THE DOME.

It's 1,074 pages of really good! I swear I hurt my back carrying it around, but it was really good!
www.gotteethguide.com for your Free Tips

#196666 - 12/29/09 02:11 AM Re: What are you reading? [Re: Saundra]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Ah Chatty, that is so sweet and touching.

Thanks so much, Saundra. My publisher has built an empire on positive thoughts so I was interested in another viewpoint.

I downloaded Howie's book on my new Kindle! I love my little machine and I loved Howie's book too. Poor guy suffers from OCD so bad it makes my heart hurt for him.

I'm also a new fan of David Sedaris although Barrel Fever had a few rough mentions of gay sex. He's so funny outside of that.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#196712 - 12/29/09 06:07 PM Re: What are you reading? [Re: Dianne]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
mustang, one of my favorite ministers at out church was an interim female minister. She was so refreshing. She's the one who shared that she didn't understand many of the people in our congregatin becasue they had a "why me" attitude, which many people I know have. She didn't understand why we didn't have a 'why not me' attitude. That one conversation changed much of my thought process with regards to bad things happening to good people. So cool. Her dad was a doctor who was a missionary and did most of his work in Africa so that's where she was raised for the most part. She had very little expectations which I beleive caused her to be an unusally blessed woman.

I'm reading An Alter in the WOrld which teaches how to see the sacred amidst everyday living. Several different spiritaul practices are taught which are eye-opening.

#196726 - 12/29/09 06:44 PM Re: What are you reading? [Re: Dotsie]
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
Just finished reading:

Friend Of the Family by Lauren Grodstein,
Have a Little Faith by Mitch Albom,
Positive Energy by Judith Orloff, M.D.

Page 18 of 37 < 1 2 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 36 37 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved