The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 144 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 17 of 37 < 1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 36 37 >
Topic Options
#196090 - 12/17/09 06:34 PM Re: What are you reading? [Re: Dotsie]
Mountain Ash Offline

By age 11/12 before we moved to senior school each friday afternoon the library box was set up.We were allowed one book and had to present our ourcome the following week.
My friend and I were serious readers and worked out we could exchange our book with the other mid week.We left home met in the park..first having measured in steps where exactly was half way between our homes.
This breaking of the rules was our invention we never shared this with other friends.Of course as the term went on we had read most of the books and had to re read those that were left..it never nothered us that we had read a book before but how we wished for more new titles.
Senior school allowed free borrowing and I did this from day one.
libraries have a special place in my life...

#196108 - 12/17/09 09:56 PM Re: What are you reading? [Re: Mountain Ash]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Interesting....when growing up, my city was population of 30,000 (now it's over 200,000) and we had well-stocked libraries.

Like Mountain Ash, I had a friend in middle school where she and I in an informal, fun way engaged in reading contest. The English compostion class required all students to record in common log book of books that we read.

Must have logged in over 200 titles by the end of school year. Books were 100-300 pgs. long. I was 14 yrs. old. Wasn't a chore to me. I found this school assignment so easy! smile
No, there was no prize or recognition at end. Or if there was, don't remember because didn't care.

No didn't swap titles with friend since she lived in another part of city and she had slightly different reading taste. She was getting into more feminist stuff. No kiddin' at age 14: she politely didn't understand my diet of teenage love novels at that age, amongst the history, art and politics that I read also.

#196259 - 12/20/09 03:47 AM Re: What are you reading? [Re: orchid]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
I read a lot of non-fiction memoirs, research, and essays about domestic violence, child abuse, suicide, and sexual assault. I am reading "A Private Family Matter" by Victor Rivas Rivers. It is his memoir about immigration from Cuba in the early 1950s and hardships as a Cuban in Chicago. The child abuse inflicted upon him and the domestic violence he witnessed is one of the worst horror stories I've ever read, and I've read a lot. I'm feeling much compassion for a male victim of abuse. The man turned out to be a football player for the Miami Dolphins. The book is so well-written it is amazing to see this abused man evolve into a writer who can tell a hard story in beautifully written style. Yet, I can't read it before bed as it is too harsh and gives me nightmares.

Edited by Princess Lenora (12/20/09 03:49 AM)

#196265 - 12/20/09 12:27 PM Re: What are you reading? [Re: Princess Lenora]
Mountain Ash Offline

i agree with you PL about biolgraphical bedtime reading ..that it infringes rest.As it should...if the reader has compassion/The processing of the written word is essential.I always have a space between books..so that whatever was there to be felt/understood can tumble into my thinking.Also after a play..what was the theme.
Much of social welfare essential reading is also thought provoking..the treatment of pre marriage preganancy not so long ago.How girls were sent away..some even hospitalised..for their "sins"
I have used Simple Abundance over a number of years at bedtime..each new reading allowing another insight..also Sarah
Ban Breanachs other books..they hit the spot for peaceful rest.

Recently I read a biography of an English woman who Father from day one of her life made it clear he would be her p..i...m..p.
sad beyond words...yet her life now is educating others..she graphicly describes a very cruel childhood..within the text she repeated tells how she continued to love her father...

#196300 - 12/21/09 01:32 PM Re: What are you reading? [Re: Mountain Ash]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
What fun to hear how many of you were avid readers as children. I think Imm making up for lost time.

#196306 - 12/21/09 05:35 PM Re: What are you reading? [Re: Dotsie]
Saundra Offline

Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
I was a shy, only child and after we moved to Los Angeles where I turned 12 and had no friends, my avid reading began. I had all of the HEIDI books (still have 2 battered copies), NANCY DREW mysteries, etc.

Even before we moved I was a reader. I still have the MOTHER WEST WIND "HOW" STORIES by Thornton W. Burgess written in 1916 and dedicated to Morther Nature.

I've always enjoyed reading.
www.gotteethguide.com for your Free Tips

#196309 - 12/21/09 05:49 PM Re: What are you reading? [Re: Saundra]
Saundra Offline

I'm reading GEORGE CARLIN LAST WORDS, published posthumously(sp?) written by George Carlin and Tony Hendra.

It's not large type and hard on my eyes. I enjoyed the last half more than the first half. Yes, I skipped around.

#196356 - 12/22/09 04:49 PM Re: What are you reading? [Re: Saundra]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Tell me what you think of this book, Saundra. I see that you say you skipped around some. Too much detail? I am thinking of reading this but wondered if it would be worth the time invested. Your thoughts?

#196402 - 12/23/09 12:23 AM Re: What are you reading? [Re: jawjaw]
Saundra Offline

Queenie, there was too much detail. How did you know? Every little thing. He kept notes his entire life about his entire life and left nothing out. The first half may be of more interest to others. I enjoyed most of the last half, but I wouldn't say, "You've got to read this."

I've learned to skip around in books that don't interest me in the first pages and I've learned that not every book is for me. I'm glad that I had the opportunity to see it.

#196428 - 12/23/09 02:49 PM Re: What are you reading? [Re: Saundra]
Saundra Offline

BRIGHT-SIDED How the Relentless Promotion of Positive Thinking Has Undermined America by Barbara Ehrenrich

It was more serious than I thought it would be, but I appreciated her writing. She makes excellent points on both sides while reminding us that we must be realistic to fix problems.

Page 17 of 37 < 1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 36 37 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved