The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 127 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#194973 - 12/01/09 03:44 PM Re: Delaying Mammograms Until 50? [Re: Dotsie]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
IMO every female needs to do, what works best for them, individually. We are where we've been. I've had less than
positive experiences with mammos. But that's just me! I pray
everyone does whatever their reasoning tells them is personally the best move to make!

#199242 - 02/07/10 06:09 AM Re: Delaying Mammograms Until 50? [Re: Dotsie]
hotflashgal Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Had to weigh in on this even though it is an older topic. On 12/14 I had a mammogram. On 12/16 I received notification of irregularities in BOTH breasts. I immediately went back for compression mammograms and ultra sounds which revealed what were believed to be fibroadenomas. However, I needed biopsies to confirm. This week I had a core needle biopsy on each breast and received the call yesterday that both are benign.

No one could feel these lumps. Not me, my gyno or the breast surgeon. They could only be seen by the mammogram. They are new and if I only was able to have a mammogram every two years, and they were malignant, I would have had serious trouble. I had my first fibroadenoma at 25!!

These last 7 weeks have been grueling. The weight of worry was aweful, and I am more grateful than words can express that my outcome is positive. Many women have some sort of abnormality that needs to be monitored before the age of 50.

#199244 - 02/07/10 03:40 PM Re: Delaying Mammograms Until 50? [Re: hotflashgal]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
I found a lump while I was showering (a couple of years ago). Not one to wait around, I went to the doctor that day, was referred for a mamogram, had the ultrasound and the needle biopsy. Everyone seemed to think it was not a fibroadenoma because of how it felt and did not move around. However, the core needle biopsy showed it was a benign lump.

I went home and did lots of research and discovered that the error rate on core needle biopsies was 5%. Not wanting to be in that 5% and find out years later that it was cancer, I went back to the doctor and had the lump removed. I told them to slice it and dice it and test the heck out of it, and it still came back benign. That was a relief! Now I can relax and not worry about that 5%; I think that would have nagged at the back of my mind.

By the way, that was my one and only fibroadenoma that I am aware of. I'm not saying you should have them all removed, especially if you have a history of them and they've all been benign, I'm just saying I needed to so I could feel better about the whole thing. Or maybe I just don't trust test results.

On a funny note, I had my first mammogram when I was in my late 20's. My doctor wanted a baseline for the future. When I called the office for the results, the secretary told me I had Mammary Dysplasia. That scared the heck out of me! So I asked her what it was, and she said "I think it means you have small breasts."

Well I knew they were small, but to have the doctor's office make it official was the worst. I found out later that's not what it means at all! It just meant I have dense tissue and it's so common that it's pretty much considered normal.

#199269 - 02/08/10 12:48 AM Re: Delaying Mammograms Until 50? [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
hotflashgirl, so good to see you here again. Celebrating along with you and your good news.

dd, what was that secretary thinking? I can't imagine saying that to someone.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved