The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 175 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#193551 - 11/09/09 02:09 PM Re: Swine Flu Controversy [Re: chatty lady]
Sandpiper Offline

Loc: Kissimmee, Florida
My sister is undecided as to whether to take the swine flu vaccine. She recently returned to work and the elementary school she teaches at has had 3 confirmed cases of swine flu. Since she just spent 6 months dealing with three surgeries and infections, we're not sure what she should do also.

My sister that had open heart surgery this summer has already taken the Flu shot and the Swine Flu shot also and seems to be fine. This is really a problem one does not know how to respond to. Very Scary!
www.tidedancer.com

#193606 - 11/10/09 03:33 AM Re: Swine Flu Controversy [Re: Lola]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Originally Posted By: Lola
Orchid, would'nt the hospital where your sister works make vaccination compulsory for medical professionals at the frontline of healthcare? My daughter's hospital has had to shut down a ward recently because of swine flu. She has had her vaccination which considerably puts my mind at ease.

I am so sorry to hear about your Dad's bout with prostate cancer. It helps tremendously to have a doctor in the family as she would be able to explain to the rest the nature of the illness and the appropriate treatment your Dad would have to undergo. I pray all be well.

Most likely she is vacinated. Your kind thoughts, Lola and those of others here, are appreciated.

The happiness bubble in our family..has broken now. While our family has endured significant psychosocial upsets, this is the first potentially deadly illness that anyone in my family has experienced. So we've had a winning streak right up to the 80th yr.

Yes, my sister is a great resource.
I live 4,300 kms. apart from my whole family.

#193618 - 11/10/09 12:02 PM Re: Swine Flu Controversy [Re: orchid]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Your Dad is 80, Orchid? I can only imagine how upsetting it must be for your family but, you must draw strength in the company of each other under the circumstances. Sticks in a bundle are unbreakable. My prayers for your family, most especially for your Mom. Do members of the family live fairly close to them?

#193619 - 11/10/09 12:06 PM Re: Swine Flu Controversy [Re: Lola]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
I have the sniffles and joint pains today. Hope it is'nt the flu. Ought to really have made time for the flu shot...Vit C does not seem to have helped. Nice thing about taking a sick day off work is that I can watch b/w films on telly.

#193636 - 11/10/09 06:10 PM Re: Swine Flu Controversy [Re: Lola]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Sandpiper, I'm glad to hear that your sisters are doing better. I recall praying you all three of you not too long ago!

Anne, I'm with you. I will not be getting the flu shot. Never have. Afraid to take a chance. Some think I'm foolish, but it's my choice.

Orchid, the happiness bubble? I love that. But don't let it pop too soon. Prostate cancer is very curable. How's Mom, and do any of your sibs live in Mom and Dad's town?

#193637 - 11/10/09 06:11 PM Re: Swine Flu Controversy [Re: Dotsie]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Lola, enjoy your day off in front of the TV. There's always a blessing in everything, even a day off when sniffling.

#193644 - 11/10/09 06:49 PM Re: Swine Flu Controversy [Re: Lola]
Josie Offline

Loc: NJ
I have the sniffles and joint pains today. Hope it is'nt the flu. Ought to really have made time for the flu shot...Vit C does not seem to have helped. Nice thing about taking a sick day off work is that I can watch b/w films on telly.

Hope you feel better very soon! Feeling sick is not a pleasant state of affairs..... I have a question about the British TV programming you are watching today, but I posted it in the TV section......

#193650 - 11/10/09 07:10 PM Re: Swine Flu Controversy [Re: ]
Josie Offline

Loc: NJ
Originally Posted By: Anne327
Mostly everyone I know who gets the flu shots each year get the full-blown flu within a few days. And mostly everyone I know who does not get the shot, does not get the flu.

Most childhood immunizations are for life. Yet this flu shot thing is still experimental as far as I am concerned because we "have" to do it yearly. And because we were told in the 70's that dead viruses were being used, only to find out in 2002 that in the 70's they used live viruses and lied....I do not care to be anyone's guinea pig

I respect your feelings on this subject. It is common to LATER find out we were duped about a particular health concern or treatment.

I waited years before accepting the annual seasonal flu vaccine, and have suffered no ill effects during these last 4 years of getting the shot. At my age, my immune system is not what it used to be, so I'm hoping what they say is true that the annual seasonal flu shot has a measure of protection against the swine flu as well.

I have no intention of getting the swine flu vaccine, since the number of USA swine flu fatalities has shown to be very low as compared to the 30,000 annual USA deaths from the seasonal flu.

My husband works in a hospital and was required to get the seasonal flu vaccine period. I am limiting my contact with people, practicing frequent and effective handwashing, and am avoiding what I consider this experimental swine debacle. Wheter it be the live virus (spray) or the dead virus (vaccine), I don't want it at this point.

Some study came out last week in CA saying that older people are more susceptable than previously thought, and then that story was quietly buried. So for the moment, only children and pregnant women are being prioritized in many places for the limited vaccine available.

And I notice the variations about the swine flu story/vaccine, depending on which TV "expert" you listen to.

I've lived long enough as a woman, wife, nurse and mom to be my own expert. And I say "No thank you."

#193683 - 11/10/09 10:33 PM Re: Swine Flu Controversy [Re: Josie]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
No one has mentioned that this so called MIRACLE flu shot isn't free, it costs $29.95 here in Nevada to get it. Hummm. that couldn't be the reason their trying to push it down our throats, you think???

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#193759 - 11/11/09 10:21 PM Re: Swine Flu Controversy [Re: Lola]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Your Dad is 80, Orchid? I can only imagine how upsetting it must be for your family but, you must draw strength in the company of each other under the circumstances. Sticks in a bundle are unbreakable. My prayers for your family, most especially for your Mom. Do members of the family live fairly close to them?

Yes, he's 80. My siblings live scattered about the city..within 40 kms. at most or closer. Might have mentioned here months ago, but my mother understands and speaks primarily only Chinese. So with us, adult children having lost alot/never acquired much (depends on birth order of each child) alot of Chinese speaking fluency, you can imagine ongoing conflicts and gaps in communication.

My father is fully bilingual..he has been the mediator, language-interpreter between my mother and all of us. So it's pretty complicated family dynamics because of linguistic shortfalls.
As for swine flu vaccinations: my sister-physician had herself vaccinated just 2 weeks ago. She is 5+ months pregnant also. She will be working until end of Jan. before taking maternity leave. Her 2 yr. old daughter and hubby got vaccinated last wk.

She has had the regular flu vaccination annually for last few years. She must. She complains that some patients couph at the physician, which really ticks her off: Do the patients not realize the doctor is a human being also?

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved