The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 179 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#192879 - 10/29/09 11:44 PM Basil
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Anyone who has read my book might recall Basil. Basil is a priest, a much-beloved friend and one of the most significant people in my life. There just aren't enough words to adequately express how very precious Basil is, not only to me but to everyone who has ever met him.

I just came back from a trip to Nova Scotia, and had the opportunity to spend time with Basil. Basil has Lou Gehrig's disease and is almost completely physically incapacitated. He is bed-ridden, can no longer speak and communicates mostly by writing (also uses eyes and hand signals).

The reason I'm sharing is because despite being bedridden and incapacitated, Basil continues to live, breathe, communicate and radiate the Presence of God. Being in that room with him was like walking on Sacred Ground (I still don't want to wash my socks...LOL). It was amazing...I wept, not because of how this terrible disease has ravaged this precious man's body, but because when I kissed his cheek, I felt like I had kissed the face of God.

Just those few moments in his presence brought such immense inspiration, peace and sense of Presence. Sacred Space...we can never underestimate the power of God even in the midst of what to some might seem like empty powerlessness.

I didn't want to cover up Gims' post in the prayer section, but would ask anyone who is so inclined to keep Basil in prayer, not only that he will find rest from this horrid disease, but that he will continue to be a beacon of Presence and hope through his devotion to intercessory prayer and his desire to continue to be a conduit of God's love and Presence even from within his incapacitation.

(Maya Angelou)

#192882 - 10/30/09 12:20 AM Re: Basil [Re: Eagle Heart]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Isn't it amazing Eagle how one person can personify all that we strive to be? God bless Basil and you as well.

#192921 - 10/30/09 06:07 PM Re: Basil [Re: jawjaw]
LTWayfaringWords Offline

Loc: Missouri, recently moved from ...
Eagle Heart, I've read your words three times and feel blessed and inspired by your words, your insights, and Basil. Bless Basil and you. Thanks for sharing.

#193017 - 11/01/09 03:52 PM Re: Basil [Re: LTWayfaringWords]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Eagle, I'm just seeing this. What a blessing he is and what a blessing you are to all of us. Isn't it amazing that someone who's been through as much as he has, can still be the light we are called to be when we are healthy and well, but fall so short?

Did you keep the notes he wrote while you were visiting?

I'm happy to carry Basil and you in my prayers.

#193020 - 11/01/09 04:59 PM Re: Basil [Re: Dotsie]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
What a wonderful treasure you have in your life. My heart is with both of you!

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#193023 - 11/01/09 11:00 PM Re: Basil [Re: Anno]
Eagle Heart Offline

Thanks for your caring words, everyone.

JJ, Basil has been my mentor through so much over the past 30 years. He has definitely been my best "glimpse of God" and I will forever treasure his presence in my life.

Linda, no words could possibly convey the spiritual gift that Basil has been and continues to be to all who spend time with him. A very rare gift indeed. I could have written an entire book on Basil and still not have said enough.

Dotsie, I wanted to ask for the notes, but didn't. But I did copy the quote from Thomas Merton that Basil said was what he was living now. And he wrote about kneeling in the midst of the burning bush of his disease, and also about "this" "all of this" (disease, being bedridden, everything) as being Sacred Space. Amazing. And palpable.

Anno, he has been a rare and much-beloved treasure in the lives of everyone who knows him...words just cannot adequately describe how faithful he is and how, well, holy and sacred it feels to be in the same room with him. I don't mean to build him into something more than human, but there is no doubt in the heart of anyone who spends time with Basil that they have walked on Sacred Ground.

(Maya Angelou)

#193070 - 11/02/09 09:13 PM Re: Basil [Re: Eagle Heart]
MustangGal
Unregistered

Eagle, thank you for sharing your friend's amazing soul with us, I feel my heart warming a bit.

#193075 - 11/02/09 09:52 PM Re: Basil [Re: ]
Josie Offline

Loc: NJ
My mom read Thomas Merton's "No Man Is An Island" to us when we were kids. (It took me a few readings to catch the drift of many passages)

Father Basil sounds like a gentle soul who radiates peace constantly outward. Yes, you and others are very lucky to call him friend and mentor.

God bless you both!

#193146 - 11/03/09 09:38 PM Re: Basil [Re: Josie]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Is Father Basil still at St Peter's, Eagle? It's wonderful that you had the opportunity to visit him.

#193153 - 11/03/09 11:03 PM Re: Basil [Re: Lola]
Eagle Heart Offline

Hi Lola, Fr Basil has actually been bed-ridden for a few months now (in his sister's house - she's his primary caregiver) and is no longer able to be active in a parish. But the Archbishop of Halifax visited him and was deeply touched by Basil's spiritual presence, and continues to visit him regularly...he could also sense Basil's hunger to be a part of the diocese which he has so faithfully and lovingly served for his entire life, and so the Archbishop keeps him informed on all the going-ons and has given Basil the mandate to carry all the priests and the bishop himself in prayer. So it helps Basil to feel connected to his church community. Fr Louis (he was my parish priest at St Peter's) visits Basil regularly and celebrates Mass with him in Basil's bedroom.

I am SO happy and grateful that I had that opportunity to visit with him. He has always been a shining light in my life, but this was, well, nothing short of "sacred ground"...that time spent with him that afternoon is permanently etched in my heart as an afternoon spent in the Presence of God Himself.

(Maya Angelou)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved