The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 158 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#192805 - 10/28/09 11:56 PM Why aren't you taking supplements?
lindasusan Offline

Loc: NJ
Ladies, As we go through our menopausal years, there is a need to be certain our bodies are being supported. In fact, all of our lives, there is that need. I'm hoping most are taking their supplements and if not start to. I have mentioned that I take Vivix in another reply I wrote; I personally love it. In addition, I take a multiple, calcium, Vitamin D and Vitamin C. It makes a difference in me. Also, be sure you get your exercise. smile

#192807 - 10/29/09 05:03 AM Re: Why aren't you taking supplements? [Re: lindasusan]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Each woman is different, meaning boomer women and older. Even within our own age range group here.

I absolutely would not need to take more Vitamin D..I am outdoors, cycling or walking a minimum of half hr. in bad weather but more the norm of 1-2 hrs. daily of cycling. On weekends, it jacks up to 3 hrs. per day of cycling. I eat alot of fruit. It is possible I might need more calcium and iron. But for now, my doctor has told me to get off the iron supplements now that my iron levels are normal.

There is a whole group of women not represented in BMWS, who take very good care of themselves diet-wise and are highly physically active. smile

#192818 - 10/29/09 11:49 AM Re: Why aren't you taking supplements? [Re: orchid]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
lindasusan, I've heard that when taking Vitamin D, there's another vitamin you should take so it absorbs. Is that C?

And yes, if you spend lots of time outdoors, you don't need D.

I take E because I have fibrous cycstic breasts and it helps tremendously for me. Again, this may be an individual thing. After last mamogram and sonogram, I was told I need to go back in six months for another check. You better beleive I'm taking my E for these six months!

Edited by Dotsie (10/29/09 11:49 AM)

#192887 - 10/30/09 08:07 AM Re: Why aren't you taking supplements? [Re: Dotsie]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
That's interesting, Dotsie.
I've just started taking vitamin B6 and 12, because that is supposed to help prevent shingles,...especially if you could get contaminated. My Mom, got another fresh bout of shingles, on the same arm! The doctor said he has never had such a case before. She is going through the whole damn thing again!
Chatty, I asked the doc about ZOSTAVAX. He said it's contained in the cream she gets. He was impressed that I asked. I told him my friend from Las Vegas recommended it. He laughed and said, "Patients used to say my neighbour recommended it. Now it's world-wide."

#192890 - 10/30/09 09:39 AM Re: Why aren't you taking supplements? [Re: Edelweiss3]
Mountain Ash Offline

I consulted the naturopath yesterday and asked about avoiding more shingles/herpes simples since I had the recent trigeminal attack.I have his brand of Anduvite..one a day before food.In addition a new manuka/bee pollen aloe vera suppliment.
what my doctor has said is that should any herpes start near my nose I immediatly telephone for a prescription for the tablets...They cost £100 per course and he cannot give these until an attack is present..must be taken within a time frame..so fingers crossed this is not on a Sunday..

so self help to prevent may be my best bet..
I am sorry your Mother had more problems..

#192910 - 10/30/09 04:25 PM Re: Why aren't you taking supplements? [Re: Dotsie]
lindasusan Offline

Hi Dotsie, I believe it's calcium that Vitamin D helps absorb, and again, I take Vitamin D3; you need to be sure about the differences. Also, Dotsie, I have heard that cycstic brests could be due to a lack of potasium, I would look into that as well. Have a great day!

#192988 - 11/01/09 03:01 AM Re: Why aren't you taking supplements? [Re: lindasusan]
hotflashgal Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Dotsie...how much E do you take? Does anyone have a recommendation for a good multi vitamin. I hate taking pills of any sort, so if there is one that is effective, that would be great. Plus, vitamins tend to really upset my stomach no matter what time of day I take them.

Eileen

#193003 - 11/01/09 02:58 PM Re: Why aren't you taking supplements? [Re: hotflashgal]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I have 400 IUs and take two a day. I swear by E for help with the cysts.

I'd also like a good multi recommendation.

#200579 - 03/07/10 03:08 AM Re: Why aren't you taking supplements? [Re: Dotsie]
lindasusan Offline

I see such a difference in myself when I do not take my supplements. I do not eat healthy all of the time; that together with my busy schedule probably can deplete the good I do eat. I'm in favor of supplements; I don't know if everyone can say the same. I know many people who do not take them....but even then, I wonder if they would be feeling a whole lot better if they did.

#200582 - 03/07/10 11:29 AM Re: Why aren't you taking supplements? [Re: lindasusan]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

lindasusan, what supplements do you take? I'd love to know.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved