The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 137 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#191094 - 10/05/09 07:37 PM Christmas Ornaments
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I'm already looking at making Christmas Ornaments. Have any of you made the Santa's out of light bulbs? I have saved my burned out ones and want to try my hand at it. Plus I want my grandbeauties to do it with me.

So have you? IF SO, do you consider it a hard craft? Easy? Intermediate?

I HATE SEWING. So please, no sewing crafts. But if you have any others, I'd love to hear them. It's never too early for Xmas.

#191095 - 10/05/09 07:50 PM Re: Christmas Ornaments [Re: jawjaw]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland

#191110 - 10/05/09 08:07 PM Re: Christmas Ornaments [Re: jawjaw]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK

#191133 - 10/05/09 08:36 PM Re: Christmas Ornaments [Re: Lola]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Those are so cool. They aren't the ones I have instructions for, but these you gave will be easier, I'm thinking.

THANKS!

#191144 - 10/05/09 11:12 PM Re: Christmas Ornaments [Re: jawjaw]
Lola Offline

Does anyone own a sewing machine? I want to purchase one but, at a loss as to what type and/or make I should get. What should I look out for? I have never owned a sewing machine in my life and, except for those which I used in tailoring class in school, I have not been near one for a long time. A very long time. I think JJ's Christmas home craft idea has just inspired me to make Christmas cushion covers, table runners etc. Hope someone would be able to help out because I am raring to stitch something!

#191172 - 10/06/09 01:32 AM Re: Christmas Ornaments [Re: Lola]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
I still have and on the rare occasion, use my sewing machine. Before cycling passion bit me, I sewed alot. Nearly 80% of my wardrobe.

Perhaps a shop has/could recommend a used sewing machine to buy? Features I would look for:

*straight stitch, zigzag of different variations, serge stitch (of different variations)
*ask for hands-on demo how the sewing machine is threaded to lift the bobbin thread out,
*how to the machine reels on thread on the bobbin--is it easy and guarantee to be tangle-free.
*how does it make buttonholes automatically.
*zipper-fit installation?
*table-top is perferred, with capability to remove part of sewing bed, to do difficult corners, etc.
*can change different needle sizes and which companies will it accommodate?

My machine is nearly 30 yrs. old so I have no digital/computerized features. So I cannot advise on such features. smile

#191184 - 10/06/09 06:26 AM Re: Christmas Ornaments [Re: orchid]
Lola Offline

Thanks ever so much, Orchid! You made your own clothes? That's fab! It'll be some time before I get to your level. I must overcome my clumsiness with needles first as I used to break them in sewing class...a lot. I'll have to start with table runners and anything that deals with straight lines. Over and beyond, the machine will have to do for me...like the zigzag.

I'll print off your tips to take with me when I traipse off to John Lewis on Saturday to check out what they have there. The wonderful thing about that shop is that they have fabrics as well and hands-on demo. I'll be like a child in a sweet shop! Many thanks again.

#191225 - 10/06/09 07:30 PM Re: Christmas Ornaments [Re: Lola]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Better you than me, Lola! LOL! But I do wish you luck. I love hearing someone rave about a new-found passion. It's refreshing, isn't it?

#193462 - 11/07/09 05:16 PM Re: Christmas Ornaments [Re: jawjaw]
Mountain Ash Offline

Lola
I replaced my trusty sewing machine last year..I loved my old machine and it earned its living from cot sheets to childrens clothes and many fundraising projects.One great thing it had was the ability to sew stretch stitch..very handy for activity wear.
Alas it retired...
what I bought is so much lighter...and for me that is a bonus..I tried to buy one as near as possible to my first one.
It is a Toyota..like the car!!!

let us know what you decided..

#193466 - 11/07/09 07:18 PM Re: Christmas Ornaments [Re: Mountain Ash]
Lola Offline

I bought one from John Lewis, MA. The cheapest (£49.00)and coloured pink (one has got to get her priorities in order grin) but, it does 10 stitches and is ideal as a start-up machine for me. I have not used it yet as the lady from Church, who is supposed to teach me how to cut patterns for my first project (Christmas cushion covers) does not arrive from holiday until mid-November. Wish I lived close to you...I'd be sewing away by now!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved