The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 157 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#190528 - 09/25/09 04:39 AM learning new exercise/sports
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Instead of hijacking chatty's thread about biking accident, thought I would start a new topic in response to Dotsie's comment about her 2nd pilates class and wondering what my experience would be like. See very last message in post topic: http://www.boomerwomenspeak.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=190371#Post190371

Well tonight's lst class of 12 students..is a combined yoga and pilates class. I wanted this and am glad I chose this route. The sequence of exercises has been interwoven with various movements and stances from both to get each type's benefits..which do overlap. ..though I think yoga movements integrate more simple meditation and techniques to slow down the brain/stress while executing certain movements.

If I hadn't been looking and trying certain simple yoga and pilates movements in past few years on my own, I would have been totally lost in this lst class.. and unable to do certain poses. I was trying to memorize certain movements to practice on my own since this class is only once/wk.

Well, Dotsie the abdominal/core muscles are there but they did want to collapse for certain movements. Cycling does not strengthen core muscles. But in order to cycling strong and for several consecutive hrs., it does help alot to have strong core so the back doesn't get sore, etc. I do need to do overall simple as well asymmetrical body stretching, etc., so that even the simplest movement on the bike for safety, ie. a shoulder check, to check for traffic behind me, can be done..with my head turned enough to the side, so that I can see something while my rolling bike stays straight ahead on the ride as I ride forward. Just an example of helpful, required body flexibility from 1 sport for another sport.

I do have some problems in balancing in certain yoga positions on 1 foot. It may be due to my slight scolosis where 1 shoulder is more dropped than the other, hence body back alighment is not straight. But hopefully these sessions will show me things to help myself for also balance, improved posture.

Now I am so glad I took a shower..after cycling home from class in the night time darkness...and also my fitness ride earlier this morning.

My head and body feels very cleansing..in every sense of the word with proper types of exercises today..at a pace that I like...and of my choosing. But I need to try to kick in my memory cells to remember all that I did tonight..to practice. crazy

#190694 - 09/28/09 08:36 PM Re: learning new exercise/sports [Re: orchid]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I'm so glad to hear you like it. It is indeed hard work. I want all the benefits without having to do it. I must admit that I don't love it while I'm doing it, but feel great and am thankful to have completed once the class when it's behind me.

I may not do it if I wasn't doing it with a freind. We hold one another accountable.

Her 20 year-old daughter went last week and admitted it was touch for her too. Why does that make me feel good? HA!

Another class tonight. Hoping not to make as much of a fool of myself as the last couple weeks. It's the balance exercises that are toughest for me. Well them, and anything that involves stomach muscles.

#190993 - 10/02/09 08:14 PM Re: learning new exercise/sports [Re: Dotsie]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Since it is a yoga-pilates integrated class, there are also short segments where we are guided through relaxation and proper/deep breathing exercises. Very helpful for self-help /de-stressing when easing into a proper mindset at start of class, whenever a particular movement is difficult (so a person just stops and learns how to relax in certain positions) and end of class.

So far after each class, I cycle home ..it's a 10 kms. ride one way, take a shower and eventually a few hrs. later get to bed. I find myself breathing much more deeply and contentedly when I lie down in bed. Quite a positive and unexpected result! Part of the purpose for the exercises is to "loosen" and empty one's mind from troubles and to also learn how to breathe optimally that expands one's lungs/diaphragm.

Now am still trying to remember all that I've learned in class. Instructor showed us some more different movements.

And not surprisingly after each class, I have to go to the washroom. It's just me... But my whole body does feel as if it has had a massage after the whole workout.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved