The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 168 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#190488 - 09/24/09 08:07 PM Baby boomer women and fashion/style
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I just got off the teleseminar where I interviewed Sherrie Mathieson about midlife fashion. I'm all jazzed to begin looking better. HA! She's the author of Steal This Style: Moms and Daughters Swap Wardrobe Secrets.

So, what new wardrobe item have you bought for fall/winter?

#190495 - 09/24/09 08:34 PM Re: Baby boomer women and fashion/style [Re: Dotsie]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
So far, nothing. Do I anticipate I will: I hope not. Seriously. Another money-saving thing. I already spent money this spring on cycling stuff.

The last fashion thing this year I did (besides getting a hair cut), was to rediscover a brand new pair of black dress pants that I bought....2 years ago. I spent time hemming up the pants to wear for interviews. They look great. Now there's a brown wool dress pair pants I would also work on...purchase from nearly 3 yrs. ago. But way more work, since it has cuffs. Oh jeez, more work. But cheapo me will do it myself since it is not that complicated, just time-consuming.

I can be fashion wasteful...that's why I have to buy classic cut clothing styles. Otherwise things will truly look wrong if I don't alter the clothing in same year of purchase!!!

I am abit of fashion slacker..cycling has made me abit forget. smile I know women who are into regular fitness activities/sport that their regular daywear tends to be casual or at least mimicking fitness wear in a chic way.

#190500 - 09/24/09 09:13 PM Re: Baby boomer women and fashion/style [Re: orchid]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Same old, same old. Black and grey trouser suits. Bought green and purple leather gloves for winter and brogue flats when I was in Rome.

#190502 - 09/24/09 09:24 PM Re: Baby boomer women and fashion/style [Re: orchid]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Originally Posted By: orchid
I can be fashion wasteful...that's why I have to buy classic cut clothing styles. Otherwise things will truly look wrong if I don't alter the clothing in same year of purchase!!!

Orchid, you are right in line with Mathieson's thinking. She said that women need to buy the classic cut and accessorize. These styles never go out and can be dressed up and dressed down; depending on the occasion.

So you're right in style!

I haven't bought anything for winter YET. I'm hoping I will though. I LOVE scarfs if they are soft wools and such, so I may be on the lookout for some new accessories this year.

#190506 - 09/24/09 09:35 PM Re: Baby boomer women and fashion/style [Re: jawjaw]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
And Lola is right on with her green and purple leather gloves!

#190543 - 09/25/09 05:36 PM Re: Baby boomer women and fashion/style [Re: Dotsie]
Mountain Ash Offline

It works for me that classic quality clothes dont go out of style.Having four seasons and Autumn now I am storing my summer clothes and my jacket/coats come out again.Good scarves Jaw Jaw..yes and I have dark red leather gloves Lola.
I have aso bought little felted brooches at craft fairs to brighten up my coats.They are simple but effective in changing the look.I always have winter coats dry cleaned ready for the chills..and each year pass on the unused that season garments to the thrift/charity shop. That way I have decluttered work wear..

#190544 - 09/25/09 05:57 PM Re: Baby boomer women and fashion/style [Re: Mountain Ash]
Lola Offline

Do you wear a hat in the winter time, MA? Except for the boater we were forced to wear in school, I have never bothered with headwear during the cold season. But, last year, the top of my head was always cold so, I might try some head covering this year.

#190546 - 09/25/09 06:22 PM Re: Baby boomer women and fashion/style [Re: Lola]
Mountain Ash Offline

Yes Lola..
a beret from Next bought three years ago.Its black angora..and a brown felt cloche with felt cut out daisies .Scotland is chilly .Only problem is hairstyle once the hat flattens my hair I am lothe to remove it if I go for coffee..so I sit there like a Jean Brodie type woman..

#190547 - 09/25/09 06:58 PM Re: Baby boomer women and fashion/style [Re: Mountain Ash]
Lola Offline

I love Jean Brodie. Wish I had her as a teacher.

#190548 - 09/25/09 07:19 PM Re: Baby boomer women and fashion/style [Re: Lola]
Mountain Ash Offline

The Creme de la Creme

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved