The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 146 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#190350 - 09/22/09 11:08 AM Son's marrying his live-in SO...WHAT gift should
cara Offline

Loc: PA
I give them? They're already living together, and have been for 2 yrs now; she's not even having a shower, as she doesn't need the "stuff." They don't have a lot of money, average income--but I think giving money (from the mom/mom-in-law) is tacky and impersonal. I was going to knit them an afghan but do absolutely not have the time, and I wouldn't buy one from someone--that kind of gift has to come from me. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm really not a creative gift-giver, and have absolutely no idea what to do about this. Thanks.

#190357 - 09/22/09 01:39 PM Re: Son's marrying his live-in SO...WHAT gift should [Re: cara]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
It would help to know your budget; my husband and I lived together 7 years before we got married (married now for 26), and while we had lots of "stuff", most of it was from yard sales and second hand stores so we really appreciated all of our new gifts.

Is there a room in their home they want to re-do? A piece of furniture, new dinner settings, nice silverware? Do they like to entertain? A new gas grill for barbecues, maybe some outdoor furniture?

Is there someplace they always like to go, such as a theatre or sporting events? Maybe season tickets or box seats to a game. Is their honeymoon planned? Maybe you can chip in on that.

It doesn't sound like they have children, but if they do, you could make up a book of "time" certificates so you can watch the kids for them while they are out - I'm sure that would be really appreciated too. Not sure how close you live to them.

Good luck!
K

Edited by Dancing Dolphin (09/22/09 01:40 PM)

#190359 - 09/22/09 01:51 PM Re: Son's marrying his live-in SO...WHAT gift should [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
Gift cards to the local grocery store (one they use often), restaurants, department store etc.

We combined households (did not live together before marriage) and had lots. Relatives gave us money...I used to buy new bedding etc. It was nice to have something "new" that was ours and not mine/yours.

#190375 - 09/22/09 02:54 PM Re: Son's marrying his live-in SO...WHAT gift should [Re: Di]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Di, my recommendation was going to be new bedding. How funny.

Not sure of your budget either, but how about a night or two away, depending upon what you can afford.

Congrats on your new DIL!

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved