The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 176 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#189220 - 09/01/09 08:31 PM Re: ...when a minute was a minute? [Re: ]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
My brain won't cooperate... anne, do you mind giving me a search word or phrase to bring me to a study, or two, so I can read up on this (sounds applicable and interesting)? Everything I come to with the words/phrasing I'm trying is garbage... thanks. (google or bing? - the results can vary, I've found)

#189227 - 09/01/09 09:50 PM Re: ...when a minute was a minute? [Re: Lola]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Time is not a friend to the elderly or even once we are on the downside of 50. It's a fact and nothing will change it. The key is to try to ignore the obvious and enjoy the time we are in right now. Don't long for the past and worry about the future we may not even have one SO enjoy the present...Grab all the gusto you can get and the sense of it all be damned...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#189232 - 09/01/09 10:11 PM Re: ...when a minute was a minute? [Re: gims]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
LOL! Anne's got me googling as well..."perception of time and aging". However, most of what was brought up i.e. Cambridge Journals were "locked", as were other academic researches, and the rest were forum discussions which did not bear cited authorities. Even if they did, I reckon, it would be just too scientific for me. Anyway...here's what I came across. And, guess where? On a site on Patek Philippe. Guess if one googles time...chances are one would also be referred to watches and clocks. LOL!

"- AGE - I find that children and the young tend to think that it takes an eternity for time to pass. This was certainly my own experience. As one ages, time seems to slip by and then fly-by. I find that sometimes I even "lose" whole days. This phenomenon is the assessment of the passage of time vs a body of experience. This is something that is very difficult to explain, as it relates to the amount of a person's past experience influencing the perception of time. Thus, a child, because it has not been alive a long time and has a smaller body of experience, will actually measure a specific period of time vs this. Having this fairly high ratio will give a child to perceive period of time to seem longer than it actually is. It explains why as we grow older and have more "time" behind us, that the same period of time seems shorter. Of course, because of the complexity of this argument, there are many schools of thought and debate is inevitable. Also, as a child our metabolic rate tends to be higher, relating to the higher growth rate. In the elderly, the metabolic process slows, affecting time perception." - Time Zone -

I guess, I'm happy with that explanation...for now...because as to the percentages, it turned up a lot of variables.

Edited by Lola (09/01/09 10:26 PM)

#189247 - 09/02/09 01:34 PM Re: ...when a minute was a minute? [Re: Lola]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Okay Lola, that makes sense. I recall when I was little, Sundays
dragged on forever. Now the weeks flit passed. Fifty years felt like a roller coaster ride, they disappeared so fast. Good Lord willing, I'll fulfill whatever I'm destined to accomplish.

#189318 - 09/03/09 07:41 PM Re: ...when a minute was a minute? [Re: ]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Regardless of how fast time flies, all that matter is that you're having fun. "Time flies when you're having fun." That's what Mom always said.

So ladies, are we having fun?

gims, I work from home so my days are also interrupted. So far today:

-meet the exterminator out front to show him where the huge bee hive is so he can deal with it

-take dog to vet because she's scratching and we can't figure out why (neither could the vet-they gave her benadryl-$48.00)

-take daughter to work

-do laundry

-stop by dad's for a quick visit since I was away for two days

When working from home, I am a major multi-tasker!

#189338 - 09/03/09 09:06 PM Re: ...when a minute was a minute? [Re: Dotsie]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
i fill boxes. lol

i a box for lucens stuff, tickets to films to drawing everything and anything. Junk mostylie but his junck and i let him or his memorie be jogged by it. He has a scarrrie memorie at two thir was several descusions of a boy named XXX 1.5 years later he heared the name and went oh yes thats the boy whoxxxx......when the original descusion was going on he was non-verbal, but remembered the boys name....thats how scarrie his memorie is for something, lol not how many sweets have you had today.

anyway i now mesure my time in boxes of stuff not in calkender days wink

it is very fast now but was when little, it onlie is not fast if i hate somnething and now i more control as an adult, i just walk away from what i hate so what a speedie time i have lol.

#189343 - 09/03/09 09:45 PM Re: ...when a minute was a minute? [Re: celtic_flame]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
Hi Celtic! Glad you still have time for the BWS box. lol
How is little Lucien? And are you still working on creating web sites?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved