The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 141 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#188784 - 08/24/09 10:39 PM Re: Who's right? [Re: greene]
greene Offline

Loc: Atlanta,Georgia
One more thing, alcohol is the only drug that can cause death from withdrawal if not medically handled.

#188880 - 08/26/09 12:57 AM Re: Who's right? [Re: greene]
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
I remember way back when I was in the Air Force that one could get in trouble if one was not a member of the Airman's or NCO or Officer's Club. It was even noted in our performance reports that we supported our club which meant we paid dues each month. Gosh, when I think back on that, how weird, eh? After work everyone would go to the clubs...I didn't but I had to join anyway. I'd go for the restaurant and dancing. I'm thinking it was some time well after the viet name was, someone in government finally woke up and realized the military was creating lots of alcoholics with the forced club joining demand.
I am not an alcoholic, but I did turn to alcohol to numb a lot of pain I was going through from time to time. I finally quit, got the help I needed, faced my problems and would never touch a drop. I don't miss it at all.

#188890 - 08/26/09 02:43 AM Re: Who's right? [Re: greene]
KathyC Offline

Loc: North of Dallas, TX
Originally Posted By: greene415
One more thing, alcohol is the only drug that can cause death from withdrawal if not medically handled.

There are many anti-depressant drugs that warn people not to stop them "cold turkey" at the risk of death. I used to do research on this stuff. I was amazed at how many anti-depressants have that warning on them.

#188899 - 08/26/09 08:27 AM Re: Who's right? [Re: KathyC]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
greene, interesting that this happened at the age of 55. I thought it an alcohol dependency usually happened long before that, but I'm sure life circumstances can trigger certain behavior. Glad to hear so many here have kicked the habit.

Kathy, I know a woman who is bagin backed of an anti-depressant a half a pill at a time and it's taken months. She was taking two pills. This must be the safe and right thing to do because she feels well.

#188921 - 08/26/09 04:15 PM Re: Who's right? [Re: Dotsie]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
alcohol can cause death from withdrawal, cesures etc, but so can cocaine, and heroine, diazepam, antidepressant anti psychotics, painkilloers.

i think chatty what perhaps the writer of the article was trying to convey was just taking physical damage alone alcohol can take some time to destroy liver etc. heroine cocaine are also physically addictive (as alcohol can also be physically addictive) but just by physical means heroine, speed and say cocaine will alter brain and bodie functions more quickly and the time of using untill death from just physical means will be much much shorter.

in reality any drug can couse accidental death, accidental overdose or accidental in trying to drive, walk in front of a car, fall asleep smoking etc. I think cannibise is one of drugs that is very hard to physically overdose on as the amount relativly substantial before bodie can not cope with the drug in its system and dies.

i think we all agree that addiction and death from addiction to any drug is horrendous (i include alcohol as a drug)look up ethanol, and you see its a poison to the bodie, the rest is all colourings and flavours but all alcohol comes from the one source.

so rate of death and damage is always quicker with narcotic drugs, alcohole can be as harmless as gum but the same can never be said for heroine or cocaine etc..

so he's right but unless he's explained it properly he's just not doing a very good job as a writer

hope mine and others answers helped for you

#188922 - 08/26/09 04:18 PM Re: Who's right? [Re: celtic_flame]
celtic_flame Offline

dee
i am glade the military wised up or raf, we are raf sorry.

dose you country destinquishes between air sea and land armed forces? I know what an insult it is to get it wrong here and I am just trying not to insult you lol.

i still blowen away by your job and when you done it smile

#189007 - 08/27/09 06:52 PM Re: Who's right? [Re: celtic_flame]
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Ah Celtic...you do my heart good darlin'. You make me smile all the time. You could not insult me if you tried.

I'm not 100% about the military history but the Air Force broke off from the Army Air Corp and now we have the ARMY and the AIR FORCE as separate branches of the military. The Army is more ground forces and the Air Force's mission is to fly and fight...their mission is in the air.
The Navy, of course, is sea mission and the Marines is ground mission. I know there's a lot more to the missions than this but this is the basics, I think.

I am blushing that you're blown away by my being in the service...it was fun while it happened. I really don't have any bad experiences except for the jerks who sexually harrassed me...and other women. In the 1970's we had a thing called "Social Actions" which really wasn't anything more than a place to make complains...not that anything really happened after we compalined. But, things have gotten better, thank goodness, for women serving now and if not they have lots better avenues in which to address problems.

There are programs for people facing alcohol addition in the military, I think, which is good.

#189342 - 09/03/09 09:35 PM Re: Who's right? [Re: Dee]
celtic_flame Offline

we have same distinctions here with diff forces along same lines only no marines in the uk, i always though they were navy kinda salour based but not sure what type of salouring they did, watching to many american forces programes/movies is how i got my info of course, very true is hollywood lol. think my mistake came about marines turning into seals (special oppts??) but looked like army based stuff.

anyway my g/d was raf air based too, quite a cultural diff between them, so he biased me towards air forces being best.

i laughing at though of "social actions" in the 70's i think world over no one got any joy outa any kinda complant, no one had an idea about sexule harasment, physical or verbal or any real notion of human rightes, well not in uk and not in 70's or earloie 80's hmmmm much more enlightened times now but not enlightened enough in some areas. ah well we'll all get thir wearever the thir actulie is.

the thing that stopped me joining up was my mum, who lifted me by the ear away from joining on carrers day at school or i would have joined thir and then, sighned on the line.

It was the idea of exercise and adventure i loved and hope of flying helicopters!!! excitement about assault courses. I was very fit (swimming running martial arts and weight lifting, circuits was what i done in teens alone)

goodness good to know vets can still blush lol wink

#191317 - 10/08/09 12:29 AM Re: Who's right? [Re: celtic_flame]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
It must be the hardest thing on this earth to suddenly find oneself in the line of fire in a war zone. These kids some of them are still wet behind the ears. Seeing what they see, the smells and hearing the cries of wounded fellow soldiers would cause anyone, even seasoned vets to drink or do drugs. We must help them in anyway we can to overcome these horrors when they come home. We need to be understanding and patient. The young kids we sent away are not the same ones that return. They have been forced to grow up under the most brutal of circumstances.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#199227 - 02/06/10 05:05 PM Re: Who's right? [Re: chatty lady]
jenifer Offline

I think alcohol is not bad if we use it moderately and take control on onself, drugs is more dangerous than alcohol because it's easy to make us drug addiction.Generally speaking we must know when stop them.

BabiesRUs promotional code

Edited by jenifer (03/14/10 03:09 AM)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved