The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#18391 - 04/28/05 06:06 PM Fibromyalgia
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
There seem to be quite a few people who have mentioned they have fibromyalgia. Lynn suggested starting a post for everyone to share information. So here you go...

#18392 - 04/29/05 07:26 AM Re: Fibromyalgia
Happy Birthday Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Hi Dotsie, thanks for starting this topic. I'll offer a brief and non-professional definition of fibromyalgia until I or someone else can get to a more definitive version. May is national fibromyalgia awareness month. Fibromyalgia is a systemic condition that affects joints and muscles. It manifests in aches, pains, fatique, and sleep disruption. It can often be mistaken for chronic fatique syndrome. There are 18 points that are taken into consideration when diagnosing F, including knees, hips, neck, shoulders, elbows. A rheumogologist usually makes the diagnosis by ruling out other condisitons, such as Lupus or MS. Therefore, a professional diagnosis is essential to rule out other diseases. The typical managment of F is Flexeril to reduce muscle stiffness, anti-depressants to aid in the depression that comes from being limited in motion and in pain all the time, and pain management. The meds recently recalled like Celbrex were often used for F. The arthritis foundations often fund therapies for F, including walking and water exercise. F is often related to a physical or emotional trauma, such as a car accident, or even childhood abuse. Women are more often diagnosed than men not because it is a women's condition, but because men tend to tough it out. F cannot be measured on a blood test, therefore it was considered a faulty diagnosis for a long time, as if it was all "in your head." People without F often cannot understand that a full day of activity for the patient can result in full on aches and pains the next day. It's like when you work out too hard one day and your muscles rebel the next. That's all I have for starters. Love and Light, Lynn

#18393 - 04/28/05 08:29 PM Re: Fibromyalgia
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
This topic of fibromyalgia in the other forum has already been an amazing eye-opener for me. I've had increasingly-debilitating chronic fatigue since the mid-80's. In the past three years, I've noticed a dramatic increase in sleep deprivation (I wake up feeling as if I've run the Boston marathon), crippling joint pain (knees and hips are the worst) and muscle aches, as if I have the flu all the time.

The doctor has been useless. Because of my history of depression, everything gets lumped into "mental illness", even though I've been depression-free for over a year. I've long suspected that the depression could be a symptom of an underlying problem and not the culprit that is producing all of these other symptoms. I've begged her to test me for adrenal exhaustion (the list of symptoms is similar to both CFS and F), but she only requests the simplest test, not the in-depth ones that would uncover any anomalies. And despite a persistent elevated white-blood-count, she doesn't investigate further.

It hasn't occurred to me (or her) to pursue fibromyalgia. But having researched the list of symptoms, it's another possibility.

But how to get the doctor to participate in any diagnostic testing is the big question. She's overworked and exhausted herself, and seems almost as overwhelmed as I feel by the myraid of tests she would have to run to arrive at a diagnosis. And with a critical shortage of doctors across this country, it's not possible to switch to a new one right now (I've already checked, many times).

#18394 - 04/28/05 09:16 PM Re: Fibromyalgia
unique Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Here's my two cents. So far I've heard:
a) I don't see anything wrong with you.
b) It's all in your head.
c) Your tests don't show anything.
d) We can't give you that. (Rx)
e) Nothing shows up on a blood test.
f) Your X-rays look fine.
Only one MD has suggested F. Two chiropractors have told me I have it. An article in Reader's Digest several years ago convinced ME I have it. I am in pain every single minute of every single day; I can't help but wonder how much more productive I'd be if I weren't "dealing with" the pain all the time. Pain management makes me laugh. I already know how to MANAGE it. I want to get RID of it!! Most of my journal entries are RE: pain. And now an old head injury is flaring up and girls, I'll be honest here, I AM TERRIFIED. Not because of pain, I've been dealing with that forever, but my cognitive functions are affected. Sometimes I feel like I'm 'losing' it. My insurance stinks; even if I found a doctor to say, 'Yep. There's something wrong with you all right.' I have no way to pay for any treatment. Some days it's all I can do to pay attention. So that's it. Maybe I'll stroke out one of these fine days and the doctors can say, 'Oh, gee. There really WAS something wrong with her.'

#18395 - 04/29/05 05:09 AM Re: Fibromyalgia
Happy Birthday Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Oh, Unique, I am so sorry you are suffering with pain! It sounds really horrible. How can your cognitive functions work properly when they are undermined by pain? Eagle, yes, there is a connection between depression and fibro, but what comes first? Even if your doctor comes to a dignosis, the treatments are basically non-effective unless the patient is willing to take a myriad of medications. Oh, I am anemic which makes the fatique all that much harder to bear. More on this later, Lynn

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved