The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 164 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#165686 - 11/15/08 08:11 PM Re: Let's Talk Vitamins and Supplements [Re: Sharonie]
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Welcome Sharonie to BWS. We have been talking supplements in another thread and you are a wealth of information.I think I will start the vitamin D soon.Thank you for posting.I'm sure the questions will be coming from other members soon.

#165726 - 11/16/08 03:03 AM Re: Let's Talk Vitamins and Supplements [Re: chickadee]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Sharonie, thanks for jumping in, and welcome. Are probiotics good for digestive health? Do you know anything about that? Also, I swear by E. I have cyctic fibrous disease (lots of cysts in the breasts) and E definitely helps with this. Heaven help me when I run out. I get more cysts and my breasts hurt. No joke. Staying away from caffeine also helps.

Anxious to hear how gims did today.

#166111 - 11/21/08 04:48 AM Re: Let's Talk Vitamins and Supplements [Re: Dotsie]
Heartstrong Offline

Loc: NJ
Hi,
Just a helpful hint for people taking fish oil capsules - if you experience a fishy aftertaste - put the fish oil capsules in the freezer. This will eliminate the fishy aftertaste but does not alter the potency of the capsules. Reliable brands for fish oil capsules include Natures Made, Natures Bounty and Kirkland which is the Costco brand.
You need to be careful when taking any kind of supplement because they are not regulated by the FDA and some supplements may contain more or less than what is actually listed on the label. A good site to check for more info is consumerlabs.com
Heart Healthy Blog http://heartstrong.wordpress.com/
https://twitter.com/HEARTSTRONG1

#166113 - 11/21/08 05:01 AM Re: Let's Talk Vitamins and Supplements [Re: Heartstrong]
Heartstrong Offline

Hi,
Quick comment about Vitamin D:
A recent study (The Framingham Offspring Study) published earlier this year reported an increased risk for heart disease in people whose Vitamin D levels were low. People with high blood pressure were at an even higher risk than people with normal blood pressure.
The study suggests that Vitamin D blood levels less than 15 ng/ml may increase your risk for a heart attack, heart failure, and stroke. In the study even after adjusting for other common risk factors (high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes) people with low Vitamin D levels were at a much higher risk compared to people with normal Vitamin D levels. Low Vitamin D levels are relatively common in the United States, especially among people who do not get a lot of sun exposure or in areas that do not get a lot of sunshine. Darker pigmented skin and the use of sunblock prevents the sun rays from being absorbed and decreases normal Vitamin D production in the body. Routine screening of Vitamin D levels is currently not recommended and you should discuss your individual risk with your health care provider. The American Heart Association recommends getting Vitamin D from food sources (milk, salmon, mackerel, sardines, fortified cereals) rather than taking supplements. Most people should consume between 800 and 1,000 IU of Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) daily.

#166271 - 11/23/08 01:43 PM Re: Let's Talk Vitamins and Supplements [Re: Heartstrong]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Carolyn,

I have read some of the same things you've mentioned above about Vit. D. I'm wondering why all of a sudden V-D is in the news. Seems like everything I pick up here lately in the health arena has a focus on V-D.

I wonder why that is. Do you have an opinion on this media frenzy?

Just curious. Oh and I've checked my own VIT routine to make sure it includes it! HA!

#166284 - 11/23/08 02:29 PM Re: Let's Talk Vitamins and Supplements [Re: jawjaw]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

heartstrong, thanks for your hot tip on putting Fish Oil in the freezer. I'll be back to my fish oil tomorrow. I liked taking it becasue I felt like I was doing soemthing good for myself by simply taking a viatmin, but couldn't take the fish taste. I'm not a real lover of fish, unless it's grilled, or deliciously seasoned so this is great news. Thanks.

#166493 - 11/26/08 02:50 AM Re: Let's Talk Vitamins and Supplements [Re: Dotsie]
Heartstrong Offline

JawJaw,
A few recent studies have been published about Vitamin D. That's how most medical trends start and unlike other health trials (which frequently report conflicting results) these studies all keep showing the same results about the importance of Vitamin D. It just appears to be the "trendy" vitamin of 2008.
Dotsie,
Glad you will be able to start taking your fish oil capsules again they really are very beneficial.

Happy Thanksgiving to All !!

#166627 - 11/28/08 10:05 PM Re: Let's Talk Vitamins and Supplements [Re: Heartstrong]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
In the past 15 to 20 years when patients are going in for colorectal cancer surgery and given blood tests, it shows them ALL to be almost completed depleted of Vitamin D. I find that perplexsing as we only need to expose our skin for 15 minutes a day to the sun in order to get the Vitamin D needed to sustain itself in our systems. Or take a supplement. I take a su[pplement daily to make sure my body has all it needs. Its cheap and so simple.

Dotsie, the fish oil is beneficial but you need to make sure you get both Omega 6 and Omega 3 in order for either to be as beneficial as they could be.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#166662 - 11/29/08 12:49 AM Re: Let's Talk Vitamins and Supplements [Re: chatty lady]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

chatty, what fish oil do you take?

#166663 - 11/29/08 12:49 AM Re: Let's Talk Vitamins and Supplements [Re: Dotsie]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

And where is gims? Anyone seen her? I miss her.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved