The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 159 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#183887 - 06/08/09 07:52 PM Re: Proper length for shorts post 50+? [Re: Louise_Kahle]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Originally Posted By: Louise_Kahle
Our personal image/style reflects who we are, who we want to be and who others think we are. In the first 5 seconds of meeting someone, an assumption (right or wrong) is formed about our level of education, social heritage and much more. We do judge a book by it's cover and that doesn't make us wrong - it just makes us human. A value is placed on everything the eye takes in - is it safe or is it threatening, is it pretty or is it ugly, etc.

Realtors know that a house must have "curb appeal" before anyone wants to go inside. Authors and booksellers know that a book must have an eye-catching cover before people will pick it up and look inside.

Does your cover tell people what you want them to know about you?

Louise: What I do like about North American society is that we tend not to over-emphasize visual images and make snap judgements about people based on their front "cover". This is why for work hiring, by law in North America, it is illegal to submit photos of oneself with your resume.

Totally different practice in many Asian and European companies which some firms ask out right for a photograph of yourself when you email /send your resume. I worked for a German company that is here in Canada and with alot of ex-patriate employees from Germany, U.K. and Philippines. These are university/college educated employees.

As an example, there was young German engineer, who started with the firm. He wore a suit a tad too big, he looked stiff but he was pleasant. Then over time, he understood the corporate work culture, simply dresssed/carried himself in a more natural style and became a resourceful, helpful person. Had I judged him solely on his attire, it would have been unfair and I (with emphasis on myself) would have been criticized for being negative.

I do feel the visual dress and image is important in the workplace up to a certain point. What is noticeable to me over the past few decades, is more women showing their decollatege...so different from 20 years ago. To me, it is the younger generations that can be abit too casual and need to be guided.

However the attire that you see in my photo or wearing of lycra shorts/tights after getting off the bike, I have worn and strolled into workplaces where the corporate culture ranged from very formal (courts, law firm) to more relaxed (engineering firm, construction site), I have never worried about what other people think, even if I look sweaty/splashed up due to rain. Then I get changed into work attire

I'd rather convey the message to any employer that I care about my health, I am doing something about it, I am physically mobile and alert (not aging and incapable), instead of wondering if people will make snippy remarks about my shorts/legs, etc.

I really do want to be careful about over-emphasizing visual self-image to others. It can be a barrier to cross-cultural, cross-class integration and diverse community building.

A few years ago, there was a discussion in opera enthusiasts and classical music subscribers, about the younger generation /others attending a lovely opera/symphony in jeans, spiked hair...not important? I'd rather remove the barrier of "proper" clothing requirement (as long as they aren't barefoot/wearing bathing suits) and rope in more future younger enthusiasts for Pucinni, Mozart, etc. concerts.

#183890 - 06/08/09 08:27 PM Re: Proper length for shorts post 50+? [Re: orchid]
Alice Offline

Loc: Michigan
Yes, my "cover" tells people what I want them to know.

Now, where did I put my tiara??!!

I have 2 tiaras, actually; I would like to get dressed up every weekend and go to a fabulous party, dance, symphony, etc....now if I could only find that man.

#184126 - 06/12/09 01:43 AM Re: Proper length for shorts post 50+? [Re: Alice]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
orchid, I never knew other countries allow/expect pictures. I just Googled it and found some of the information interesting.

In another forum, we're talking about predictions. I'm thinking people will eventually have a video resume. Do you think that will happen?

#184133 - 06/12/09 03:57 AM Re: Proper length for shorts post 50+? [Re: Dotsie]
orchid Offline

Already video conferencing for job interviews in past few years. I've had several where all these situations, the employer was in a different province.

I disagree with the concept of video resume. It IS very unfair, people will judge others on their appearance, voice, accent. We get into issues of colour/race, ethnicity, age and weight. I am against video resume as an automatic required submission prior to shortlisted interviewing process. It would violate alot of human rights legislation here in Canada ..and I'm sure in the U.S. also. Certainly for some jobs like acting or dance or modelling it is part of the job --how one looks, so it would only be those jobs.

I sound brutal..because strangers can be unfair in their assessment on candidates. There have been some studies done on assessing overweight people vs. not so for jobs, attractive people vs. not so for high management jobs, etc. It's not pleasant.

#184490 - 06/17/09 10:21 PM Re: Proper length for shorts post 50+? [Re: Ellemm]
Louise_Kahle Offline

Loc: Toledo, Ohio
This is so fun! So much fodder for my blog!
Let's talk about cleavage (breast, not butt, we'll leave that for another time.) Cleavage has gone in and out of style (in public, anyway) for decades. No longer do we just see it in evening wear and on the beach, it's everywhere, in the boardroom, on the Senate floor, and at your local bank. I would like to ask the following questions:
Is there an age limit? If you've got some is there a minimum age? Is there a maximum age? Does size matter?

#184523 - 06/18/09 01:26 PM Re: Proper length for shorts post 50+? [Re: Louise_Kahle]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I think it has to do with how one can carry it off. I'm sure we've all seen some women and wanted to say, "cover it up."

There's also a time and place for everything. Leave it out of the boardroom and off the Senate floor. Keep it out of the local bank too.

Oh boy, can hardly wait to talk about butt cleavage with the thong stuck in between!

#184530 - 06/18/09 02:25 PM Re: Proper length for shorts post 50+? [Re: Dotsie]
Ellemm Offline

I'd really prefer not to see cleavage at all outside of dress-up occasions or the beach. Truly, I think it's vulgar. I also have trouble with people who complain about people staring at them; well, if you don't want stares, don't show your boobs around an office conference room! And yes, I think size has an effect. The bigger your are, the bolder the, uh, statement you make by uncovering your chest. I see plenty of women who aren't showing cleavage but actual boobage, if that makes sense.

I don't care what we *think* about cleavage, there's no getting around the fact that most people will see it as some level of sexual display. I realize with the huge rise in surgical procedures these women will want to show off what they paid for, but include me out.

#184565 - 06/18/09 08:02 PM Re: cleavage [Re: Dotsie]
orchid Offline

I changed the topic line so it reflects more accurately the change of topic.

I too get tired of seeing cleavage in workplaces. There's no purpose...at all. I went to a job interview where there was a panel of 3 women interviewing me. It was business dress casual culture. But 1 woman, in information technology dept., probably an analyst or management role, wore a top distinctly revealing 3 inches of her cleavage. What for???

On the street, etc...it's so common now among younger women that unfortunately the acceptance of some cleavage goes lower and lower into the age bracket.

I guess for parties, there could be more flexibility. But again, the older one gets..we shouldn't delude ourselves. The skin doesn't look as supple, etc.

Sometimes the solution for woman not to feel pressured to show her cleavage, is to start off in life, not doing it outside of the beach and bedroom.

#184687 - 06/19/09 11:18 PM Re: cleavage [Re: orchid]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
I don't like trying on clothes but I need some new gym bras, majorly, because a lot of my old no-cleavage clothing seems to now have too much stuff showing.

The solution for me, I guess, is to go shopping.

Poet and essayist

#184690 - 06/19/09 11:51 PM Re: cleavage [Re: meredithbead]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
I'm right with you orchid. I get so embarrassed when I see cleavage.....knowing that other men OGLE her breasts!

A couple of recent purchases are making me wear some low cut necks WITH a shirt underneath. I feel WAY too bare with skin showing....and I have no cleavage!

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved