The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 126 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#183749 - 06/05/09 01:29 PM Re: Proper length for shorts post 50+? [Re: Louise_Kahle]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Originally Posted By: Louise_Kahle
I'm also glad to hear there were younger women there (non-cyclers, I presume) who dressed up for the event.

Did you mean that alot of younger women would not tend to dress up for such an event?

In all honesty, I wear shorts this short even in high-end, expensive restaurants..in my home town and wherever we vacation elsewhere. In the last 15 years, when I pack I minimize the amount of weight because either I have to cycle with all my clothing in my bike panniers when we vacation somewhere or I just can't be bothered to deal with "extra" pieces of clothing in luggage. My travelweight when vacationing even somewhere has become streamlined.

For a 3-wk. vacation, clothing is in 1 carry-on luggage.

Unless I have to attend a wedding or a business meeting where I am there as a representative of my employer, I don't pack any dressy blouses, dress pants nor dresses/skirts.

In a way, I wish some women in our age bracket who dress well, weren't too concerned all the time about their image even when they exercise. I've had a number of women tell me that they don't want to cycle because they are afraid of helmet hair or whatever other image fear they might have (ie. sweating alot, etc.).

#183779 - 06/05/09 11:26 PM Re: Proper length for shorts post 50+? [Re: ]
orchid Offline

Originally Posted By: Anne327
I agree. If one worries about how they might look when they sweat, or if their hair gets messy while exercising, one will never exercise enough to look good anyways.....kinda defeats the whole purpose and sounds like an excuse.

Men with brains can see if someone is exercising sincerely, to improve their body, or they are just "posing". But then, that's men with brains...........

You said it Ann, in the above quoted lst paragraph.

While the business of fashion image and good taste is useful for paid jobs, representing an organization or very formal/meaningful occasions ie. wedding, funeral, etc., methinks it's up to the boomer women to redefine of what is acceptable for casual and comfort wear, so that there are no pscyhological barriers (and real barriers of wrong clothing for physical activity) for women who want to exercise on an ongoing basis and make it part of their lifestyle so that they aren't constantly changing clothing just to please a bunch of people at an outdoor barbecue or even sit down luncheon.

Now, can we predict when we reach our 80's what we would wear in hot, humid weather? laugh

Now,please do not tell me, it's going long pants (it makes no sense) nor it has to be a dress (why?). Otherwise we are stuck 50 years ago or more of aging women polite at their tea parties and white gloves.

I say these comments because we already have younger generations of teenage girls and women who are far more overweight than we ever were at their age. (in general). So if we (our generation) become more comfortable and less self-conscious of our bodies for health related reasons, moving comfort..then it will help them.

It's a wonder that alot of teen girls..do NOT bike regularily. It's shriekingly obvious at many cycling events we go to and on the roads/bike paths. Yea, I wonder. worrying about their makeup, hair, fashion...geez. Not about good sporty fun, as we all remember when we were budding teen-women.

Sorry for my rant. crazy

#183782 - 06/06/09 03:03 AM Re: Proper length for shorts post 50+? [Re: orchid]
Ellemm Offline

So are these our only choices? Tea parties and white gloves or biking gear? Can't we do both if we choose? Or something in the middle? I get your point, but I wouldn't assume that any woman who is dressed up is doing it to catch a man or because she's foolish. We all have different routines.

There's no doubt we spend too much time worrying about what we look like and don't build enough exercise into our daily routines, but I don't see casual dressing and regular exercising as necessarily connected. I already see people very sloppily dressed or nearly undressed all the time. They don't need any lessons in learning to be casual or in not worrying what they look like, and they certainly don't look like they're exercising regularly. I think for a lot of us just encouraging us to value sensible shoes for walking would do a lot of good. Cycling is awesome but not everyone's going to do it. *Any* exercise would be good.

And I don't usually wear shorts because I burn too easily. In fact, I have a scarf I wear in my car because I get burnt just driving. Light, covering clothing is better and safer for me.

#183787 - 06/06/09 02:39 PM Re: Proper length for shorts post 50+? [Re: Ellemm]
orchid Offline

Originally Posted By: Ellemm
So are these our only choices? Tea parties and white gloves or biking gear? Can't we do both if we choose? Or something in the middle? I get your point, but I wouldn't assume that any woman who is dressed up is doing it to catch a man or because she's foolish. We all have different routines.

There's no doubt we spend too much time worrying about what we look like and don't build enough exercise into our daily routines, but I don't see casual dressing and regular exercising as necessarily connected. I already see people very sloppily dressed or nearly undressed all the time. They don't need any lessons in learning to be casual or in not worrying what they look like, and they certainly don't look like they're exercising regularly. I think for a lot of us just encouraging us to value sensible shoes for walking would do a lot of good. Cycling is awesome but not everyone's going to do it. *Any* exercise would be good.

And I don't usually wear shorts because I burn too easily. In fact, I have a scarf I wear in my car because I get burnt just driving. Light, covering clothing is better and safer for me.

Ellen, I only meant my comments about some women who won't engage in vigorous exercise (some really need this) because they have outright told me in person about not wanting to look sweaty/unpleasant, etc.

Sorry to say, but a certain amount of regular physical activity means anyone will look abit unpleasant. One can't wish much about beautiful self-image while sweating away, working the heart bit, etc. Having said that, there is always rm. for times of being dressed up. But in some social circles, there is near requirement of looking dressier for restaurant dinners, etc. But thank goodness those social requirements are abit more relaxed/casual than 50 yrs. ago.

ANd hence, way more diverse choice on comfortable clothing and shoes for walking, easier movement, etc. than many years ago.

But like you, I don't equate casualness with being sloppy. Like you, I cover up the top part of myself (ie. I don't wear tank tops, sleeveless when cycling, hiking) to protect my skin. But I leave my legs exposed as a concession to heat relief.

Sorry if I caused misunderstanding.

#183814 - 06/06/09 10:08 PM Re: Proper length for shorts post 50+? [Re: orchid]
Ellemm Offline

Oh no, I think you are absolutely fine. People who say they won't exercise because they will get sweaty need to decide just how important it is to them. Plenty of people can and do work out early in the morning, on lunch hours, or after work -- you know, whatever works for the individual. There is such a range of activities that we all should be able to find one or or several things we enjoy that fit our personalities and abilities.

Me, I like working out early in the morning so my day can't get away from me. No worries about clothing and I can take a nice shower afterward and get on with my day. Other people are night people, others like to swim, etc. You know, if you like to do a concentrated workout you won't be kind of sweaty; you'll be a complete mess. At least I am. Mild exercise like walking, no. Kickboxing, totally.

I think as much as worrying about appearance, a lot of people get the idea that they can't do something and we need to help ourselves get over that. Often it's surprising how much we can do with a little encouragement.

#183825 - 06/07/09 03:13 AM Re: Proper length for shorts post 50+? [Re: Ellemm]
MustangGal
Unregistered

Gosh, all my shorts are now knee length! I feel so exposed if shorter.

Last night I was at wally world and noticed a women about 50, heavily tanned, tank top, tatoo, and with I'm certain were fake ta-tas. Her shorts were not only exposing the bottom of her bum, but also her plumbers coin slot through the fabric! I was embarrased to see someone of her age exposing herself - I know in todays economic times that less is more - yet, not with clothes! I wanted to throw a beach towel over her. Eek and geesh.

I saw her again at Target about an hour later! She sure was strutting her stuff!

#183834 - 06/07/09 02:10 PM Re: Proper length for shorts post 50+? [Re: ]
Ellemm Offline

I think I know that woman -- or her cousins! You know, there's a huge difference between orchid's cute photo -- pulled together, neat, well fitted, and obviously athletic outfit (I would not wear it everywhere, but that's just me) -- and the rear-end and boob-exposing, sloppy stuff I'm sure we all see on a regular basis. I hate to indict my own gender on this issue, but in my experience women are the primary offenders about 90% of the time. If some men dressed the way a lot of these women do, they'd be exposing themselves and we'd have them arrested. But women can get away with anything, including exposing *their* personal bits, and no one says anything. Really, it's not fair, it's tasteless, and it looks terrible.

For me -- which is a little off the topic of the thread but still related -- I'm not wearing anything that shows too much or that has to be adjusted. No short skirts you have to worry about tugging down or having to keep your legs squeezed together when you sit, no see-through, no stuff that's too low or wants to flop open in the front or is cut so you have to keep adjusting your bra straps.

I wore short skirts in the 60's and they were fun, but you had to watch what you were doing. My legs are still in good shape, but I am far more interested in comfort. (And, to be honest, a little style so I look neither like I'm trying to be 25 or like I'm 80). Today I have on cotton/linen drawstring slacks, so they are very light but not confining, a t-shirt, and comfortable Clarks sandals. Oh, and the pants are navy blue so I'm not worried about any show-through.

I subject shorts to the same test: any tugging or worries about showing my bits and they're out. I like capris because they're covered and comfortable; crops not so much, but only because my legs are so short they look like they don't fit. Again, the laziness. Once I get dressed, I want to be comfortable, look decent, and not think about it again.

Edited by Ellemm (06/07/09 02:11 PM)

#183843 - 06/07/09 03:11 PM Re: Proper length for shorts post 50+? [Re: Ellemm]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I'm with you on the comfort thing. I recall wearing the low cut bell bottoms back in the day and I was always worried about my butt sticking out. I like to wear clothes that I don't have to think about what's showing, or moving, or tugging, etc.

We've grown to this point. The younger kids who wear the short stuff, low cut tops and bottoms aren't there yet. They still do it for the sake of style. Been there, done that.

The older ones (and I've seen them or their cousins too) that dress like their 20 are only doing it for attention. DOn't you think?

#183844 - 06/07/09 03:22 PM Re: Proper length for shorts post 50+? [Re: Dotsie]
Ellemm Offline

Oh, my gosh, Dotsie, I haven't thought about those hipster bellbottoms in forever! We thought we looked so good in them; actually, I did, come to think about it, but that was a long time ago.

I'm not so sure about the older ones' motives. I'm sure some of them are doing it for attention and to recapture their lost youth, but I'll bet a lot of women got it in their heads a long time ago that that's how you dress and haven't altered their thinking.

There was a woman in my office who always wore very short skirts and dresses, despite the fact that she was in her 60's. Yes, she did have nice legs, but her clothes were so short you could see her underwear if you were walking up the stairs behind her and when she sat down she must have been sitting on her underwear alone. Frankly, everyone made fun of her behind her back. Not only had all of us seen her underwear but her clothes looked so dated -- these awful polyester dresses that she must have preserved forever. I don't know what she was thinking, but it was her 'look.'

#183871 - 06/08/09 01:38 PM Re: Proper length for shorts post 50+? [Re: Ellemm]
Louise_Kahle Offline

Loc: Toledo, Ohio
Wow, gone a few days and look at all the conversation! I can't help but agree with everything that's been said.

Our personal image/style reflects who we are, who we want to be and who others think we are. In the first 5 seconds of meeting someone, an assumption (right or wrong) is formed about our level of education, social heritage and much more. We do judge a book by it's cover and that doesn't make us wrong - it just makes us human. A value is placed on everything the eye takes in - is it safe or is it threatening, is it pretty or is it ugly, etc.

Realtors know that a house must have "curb appeal" before anyone wants to go inside. Authors and booksellers know that a book must have an eye-catching cover before people will pick it up and look inside.

Does your cover tell people what you want them to know about you?

Edited by Louise_Kahle (06/08/09 01:39 PM)

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved