The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 101 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#183292 - 05/29/09 11:57 AM shorts?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Anyone wearing good old shorts this summer? I tend to lean towards capris and longer shorts that pretty much cover above the knee.

I'm guessing dancer is still comfortable wearing shorts...

#183300 - 05/29/09 12:32 PM Re: shorts? [Re: Dotsie]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
I only wear shorts around the house/shop since no one sees me! Have not worn them in public in YEARS. Petal pushers for me, too!

#183302 - 05/29/09 01:26 PM Re: shorts? [Re: Di]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
I wear shorts most of the time out in public and at home.

There is no distinction in length of shorts in public and private spaces.

Length ranges from alot of leg
http://www.boomerwomenspeak.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showgallery&Number=163812 to approx. 6 inches above knee which is longer than the photo.

I actually had a pair of knee length cycling shorts that fell apart earlier this spring. So last month, I bought my lst ever pair of knee length casual cotton shorts with a pocket. It's sort of hipster which is a serious departure for me but it has drawstring inside a fitted waistband which covers that troubling gap around my back. I had to break them when on bike, to feel comfortable. I've been so accustomed to wearing lycra cycling bottoms.

Wearing shorts indoors even at home, does serve something to myself very subtley: By not covering up my legs, I see my own legs, a reminder to keep them in shape.

#183384 - 05/30/09 11:10 PM Re: shorts? [Re: orchid]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
I always wear shorts in the summer, in public and at home. It's shorts, or a heat migraine -- not a particularly hard choice.

For me, the only issue is having to shave my legs on a regular basis in the summertime (which, for the climate-uninformed, can last 9 months a year here.) Ugh ugh and ugh. I've wasted years of my life with this stupid custom.

Poet and essayist

#183495 - 06/01/09 07:15 PM Re: shorts? [Re: meredithbead]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

orchid, I like your theory about shwoing legs. But what if they are already out of shape? Urg.

Meredith, speaking of shaving, it's that time of year here in Baltimore. Even with capris, I like to keep my legs shaved.

#183633 - 06/03/09 07:42 PM Re: shorts? [Re: Dotsie]
Louise_Kahle Offline

Loc: Toledo, Ohio
Dotsie,
You don't mean "hot pants" do you? For the younger boomers out there, that would be Daisy Dukes.
I've still got pretty good legs, but these days my shorts don't go much above my knees and that's only on weekends vacation and at recreational events. During the week when I am running around doing errands and such, I wear capri pants. I think they are a great look and they can be casual or dressy. Wearing pants too short when you are not somewhere it would make sense to, could send the message that you are missing your lost youth a little to much.
Having said that, I live in the upper mid-west and if I was in warmer climates, my opinion might be different.
Louise
Take The Time: Image Matters! www.take-the-time.com

Edited by Louise_Kahle (06/03/09 07:44 PM)

#183700 - 06/04/09 07:38 PM Proper length for shorts post 50+? [Re: Louise_Kahle]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Louise:

I posted a photo in the photo gallery on left. Your opinion on my length of shorts (actually it's a lycra skort).

I wear lycra shorts or cotton shorts at that length.

I actually wore this outfit to a museum opening night yesterday. It was a cycling theme. But jeepers: there were non-cyclists where there were women younger than I, in sleek sundresses, fetching tops, etc., strappy sandals. It was over 80 degrees F sunny yesterday.

I actually forgot that women dress up for such events (maybe to catch a "man" too, since some of them didn't seem to have any guy around them).

Yes, I did cycle to the event. So did my partner. He and I often go into expensive restaurants..in cycling gear.

I guess I should be ashamed. But I'm not. Either I'm clueless or stupid. cool

#183717 - 06/04/09 10:48 PM Re: Proper length for shorts post 50+? [Re: orchid]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Quote:
I guess I should be ashamed. But I'm not. Either I'm clueless or stupid.

Huh? Why should you be ashamed? Did you toilet paper the neighbor's dog and forget to tell us?

Poet and essayist

#183731 - 06/05/09 09:29 AM Re: Proper length for shorts post 50+? [Re: meredithbead]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

orchid, you're athletic and dress the part. Wearing shorts for cycling is different than wearing short shorts to show off your legs. I saw your photo and you look fantastic. I'd wear shorts too if I were you.

Louise, sounds like we have similar taste when it comes to capris and shorts.

Meredith, I often get a chuckle from your posts.

Edited by Dotsie (06/07/09 02:59 PM)

#183745 - 06/05/09 12:44 PM Re: Proper length for shorts post 50+? [Re: Dotsie]
Louise_Kahle Offline

Loc: Toledo, Ohio
Orchid,
Great legs!
I think wearing cycling shorts to the museum was perfect since that was the theme and that is what you do.
I'm also glad to hear there were younger women there (non-cyclers, I presume) who dressed up for the event.
I am planning to write my newsletter today, I think wearing shorts will be the theme. I'll even put in NABBW"s website!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved