The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 153 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#186671 - 07/17/09 05:01 PM Re: ..when people "our age" seemed older? [Re: Madelaine]
Mountain Ash Offline

Socks...were hand knitted..up to knee in winter.extra wool mean they were re footed as they wore.....a slight shade difference!!
Garters kept them neat
my cousins had thigh high knitted stockings...joined by suspenders onto a liberty bodice.One cousin hated them and changed at school.They had a distance to walk.I was nearer school thank goodness

#186722 - 07/18/09 12:44 PM Re: ..when people "our age" seemed older? [Re: ]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Mountain, you memories are very touching, and reminiscent of another era.

Mad, I also wore a uniform from kindergarten thru 12th grade. Elementary school, everyone looked the same. White socks in the summer, navy knee highs in the winter. Plaid skirts and white peter pan collared blouses, with either a navy or white sweater. By the time I went to high school, we wore the same skirts and shirts, but we could wear any socks or sweaters we wanted, and the nuns had a tough enough time managing that. Everyone showed their creativity by switching up the socks, sweaters, and of course, jewelry. I actually liked iit better when we all looked the same, and didn't have to think about what to wear with my uniform.

Anne, I look back at photos of Mom's hair and wonder what were they thinking back then. She'd have her hair done every Friday right before we got out of school. Nothing looked natural. Not by a long shot. Tons of color and way too much hairspray.

#186726 - 07/18/09 01:11 PM Re: ..when people "our age" seemed older? [Re: Dotsie]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
These posts were fun reads, about uniforms and handmade clothes. Grandma sewed a skirt 'n blouse outfit for my 7th Grade Home Economics project. The teacher displayed the skirt 'n blouse outfit in a showcase, for all to see. Grandma sewed fanastically. I, on the other hand, did not. But I wish I was good at crafts.

Edited by jabber (07/18/09 01:17 PM)

#186738 - 07/18/09 03:45 PM Re: ..when people "our age" seemed older? [Re: jabber]
Mountain Ash Offline

What I did not mention was hair ribbons..I had plaits for years and they were tied with elastic first then ribbon bows.Then later a cut where one tuft was held back ith a ribbon finished by a clasp.Later early teens I had a pony tail for a time then trimmed and I stated to use rollars.My friend was a trainee so hairdos were done by her.indeed looking back despite uniform/home made we exercised our individual style in other ways.
My ribbons were kept crisp and a source of colour and texture.I still like ribbons and have a small stash amongst my sewing items

#186752 - 07/18/09 08:32 PM Re: ..when people "our age" seemed older? [Re: Mountain Ash]
jabber Offline

Love to see little girls with hair ribbons. I even like to see
hair ribbons in puppies! LOL...

#186759 - 07/18/09 08:50 PM Re: ..when people "our age" seemed older? [Re: jabber]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Now thats sometnhing that has all but disappeared, the hair ribbon. I like seeing a little girl in her fancy dress wearing a ribbon. Some old customs need to never die.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#186780 - 07/19/09 01:23 PM Re: ..when people "our age" seemed older? [Re: chatty lady]
jabber Offline

I agree.

#186980 - 07/22/09 08:26 PM Re: ..when people "our age" seemed older? [Re: ]
Madelaine Offline

Loc: Pacific Northwest
I remember going to the store and being allowed to pick out my own ribbons. Wonderful colors, plaids. Anne, I don't think they went out of style because they slip out of the hair of active children; i think they have been replaced by plastic doodads. My mother used to IRON the ribbons. Can you imagine a modern mother doing THAT?

#187010 - 07/23/09 08:08 AM Re: ..when people "our age" seemed older? [Re: ]
Mountain Ash Offline

My ribbons were washed wrapped round a heating pipe and were ready to be stored .These were my treasure..
some did get ironed..but the heating pipe did a good job...

#187035 - 07/23/09 05:40 PM Re: ..when people "our age" seemed older? [Re: Mountain Ash]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Mad, that was big when I was in high school too. I recall going to the fabric store and falling in love with the ribbons. Our basketball team all used the same red and white checked ribbon so we all coordinated. Urg, we also wore RED High Top Converse. EW!

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved