The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 170 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#182016 - 05/12/09 04:37 AM ..when people "our age" seemed older?
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
My next birthday will mark my 52 years alive. It's so hard for me to imagine that I am the age I used to think was old.

Do you think you act like what YOU thought others were like when they were your age now?

#182018 - 05/12/09 04:58 AM Re: ..when people "our age" seemed older? [Re: Di]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
That's a good question Di. I think I act younger than I am. When I was younger, I considered 60 really old. But I have to admit, when I see photogaphs, I think, eeeeee....I look old. So I guess the fountain of youth is way deep inside of me....so deep, nobody can see it. My DILs tell me I look alot younger, but they are always sweet to me, so I don't know if it's the truth.

Is your picture a recent one? You look like 20 year olds.

#182019 - 05/12/09 06:12 AM Re: ..when people "our age" seemed older? [Re: Edelweiss3]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Agree with you Di, but I probably don't look that young anymore. Hard to know what others would guess my age if they didn't know my background or know anything about me.

But for certain I look entirely different in the aging process compared to my mother at same age (50). Physically having 6 children wore down my mother.

#182036 - 05/12/09 01:54 PM Re: ..when people "our age" seemed older? [Re: orchid]
Ellemm Offline

That's an interesting question. In some ways I'm definitely older. I don't dye my hair, so am sure a lot of younger folks think I'm about half dead. I don't think I wear old-lady clothes, but sure don't care too much about what's in fashion. My mother got quite heavy and I haven't, so there's a difference. And I was quite active until a serious illness laid me out; I'm lucky I can walk and am much stiffer, but bit by bit....

One thing I have noticed, which used to frustrate me when I was younger, is that I, too, no longer get that worked up about things. I think we have all seen plenty of elections, natural disasters, wars (unfortunately), sickness, and celebrity scandals. After awhile you learn this too shall pass....

#182040 - 05/12/09 02:12 PM Re: ..when people "our age" seemed older? [Re: Ellemm]
Madelaine Offline

Loc: Pacific Northwest
When I was 6 I was an exceptional child. I didn't get along well with other children, so i chose to hang out with adults. I learned somehow how to guess other people's ages and I was astonishingly good at it (I can't do this now!)
As a matter of fact, i really annoyed some people by correctly telling their age in social gatherings.
I remember this one woman, her name is gone into the mists of time. She was a single woman with a boston terrier. I sat next to her and looked at her greying hair and her wattles (neck skin) and her funny fingers... she was 52 years old (I'm 57 now) to me she was very old. She did not like children and especially smart aleck children who guess her age. Of course I knew people who were older than her back then too, but noteworthy is the fact that at the age of 6 I was certain that 50 was over the hill.
I have strived to not be that puffy unhappy woman.

Edited by Madelaine (05/12/09 02:13 PM)

#182044 - 05/12/09 03:18 PM Re: ..when people "our age" seemed older? [Re: Madelaine]
Plains Woman Offline

Loc: Iowa
I sometimes forget I'm 62 and then I see a picture of myself...yikes, I'm an old woman. In looks I haven't aged well, grey hair, fat, winkled, etc. but I'm happy as a lark and enjoying this age and time of life.

Being a preschool teacher to 3 and 4 year olds I'm sure they think I'm old beyond belief. I have the patience with them I never had as a younger person so I'm sure they think of me more as Grandma than.....

I've found Di that it's a great time of life. The responsibilities of raising family, working because you must, etc. etc. is over, for me anyway, and I can pretty much do as I please.

It's good we get to this age gradually because it's so much easier to accept. It seems our minds tell us we're young and can do anything we please. Of course when we try doing some of those things we find we can't but it's alright, we accept it gracefully...ha! smile

#182060 - 05/12/09 09:57 PM Re: ..when people "our age" seemed older? [Re: Plains Woman]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Growing old is something very difficult for me. I use to tell people my age and they always said, oh my you look so much younger. Now they don't say that as often. I never felt old until recently. I certainly don't act or think old, not even close. Heck I am 68 and doing sexy, steamy phone fantasy calls like a 29 year old. I am beginning to think about my own mortality which I never did before. My mom is 89 and going strong. She is full of life and acts 50. However mon has no health problems, I on the other hand am overweight, have diabetes and high blood pressure so who knows if my good genes will make a difference. I guess if I were to be completely honest I would say growing old sucks!!!!! Especially being alone at this time.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#182062 - 05/12/09 10:24 PM Re: ..when people "our age" seemed older? [Re: chatty lady]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
I, too, have great difficulty growing older. Especially knowing that I'll be alone.....no children/grands to have in my later years to enjoy and be around and dote over.

Although DH and I do our best to eat as healthy as we can (except for chocolate), one just never knows. Having had cancer all around my family (mother, aunts, grandmother), that leaves a bit of concern, too.

Since I never feel old enough to be the age that a grandmother would be...heck, I still get shocked that friends my age have kids! In my mind, I'm still not "old enough" to be a parent. It's sad to admit but I guess I'm still in "waiting" mode, yet it never happened. My head still has not grasped the fact that I'll never be a mother.

People, too, get shocked at my age (hey, it's the Shea Butter...what can I say??), but sometimes my body sure doesn't move like it used!

Funny how the mind can play games on us.

#182083 - 05/13/09 04:07 AM Re: ..when people "our age" seemed older? [Re: chatty lady]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Originally Posted By: chatty lady
I am beginning to think about my own mortality which I never did before. My mom is 89 and going strong. She is full of life and acts 50. However mon has no health problems, I on the other hand am overweight, have diabetes and high blood pressure so who knows if my good genes will make a difference. I guess if I were to be completely honest I would say growing old sucks!!!!! Especially being alone at this time.

Guess am wondering, chatty what is triggering you to think more negatively about aging? Unlike some people your age, you are actively engaged in some paid work, improving some family relationships and you have some hobbies on the side that you enjoy. You are clearly more self-aware and taking action in various areas of your life. A good thing. smile

#182124 - 05/13/09 07:21 PM Re: ..when people "our age" seemed older? [Re: orchid]
Madelaine Offline

Loc: Pacific Northwest
yeah, Plainswoman, I'm with you. It's better not to look in the mirror! the old grey mare ain't what she used to be, that's for sure. And I can look forward to getting all the saggy skin and wrinkles that my two grandmothers developed. The alternative is worse! In my head, I'm still in my 30's. Raw confrontations with the mirror dispel those notions, so I try to avoid it.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved