"Resilience: Reflections on the Burdens and Gifts of Facing Life's Adversities" by Elizabeth Edwards

I recommend this book, an inspirational story by a woman coping with the sudden death of a child, her husband's public infidelity, and her own mortality. Elizabeth is not afraid to share lessons she has learned from the difficult challenges she faces.

The book is titled "Resilience."

Editorial Description: She's one of the most beloved political figures in the country, and on the surface, seems to have led a charmed life. In many ways, she has. Beautiful family. Thriving career. Supportive friendship. Loving marriage. But she's no stranger to adversity. Many know of the strength she had shown after her son, Wade, was killed in a freak car accident when he was only sixteen years old. She would exhibit this remarkable grace and courage again when the very private matter of her husband's infidelity became public fodder. And her own life has been on the line. Days before the 2004 presidential election-when her husband John was running for vice president-she was diagnosed with breast cancer. After rounds of surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation the cancer went away-only to reoccur in 2007.

While on the campaign trail, Elizabeth met many others who have had to contend with serious adversity in their lives, and in Resilience, she draws on their experiences as well as her own, crafting an unsentimental and ultimately inspirational meditation on the gifts we can find among life's biggest challenges. This short, powerful, pocket-sized inspirational book makes an ideal gift for anyone dealing with difficulties in their life, who can find peace in knowing they are not alone, and promise that things can get better.

A reader review: Elizabeth Edwards has written a fascinating book on her life and the storms she has weathered. From the death of her father and son, to her mother's suspicions of infidelity in her own marriage and Elizabeth's reality of John's affair, this is one strong woman. She is brutally honest in her reaction to her son's death and living with cancer. For all the pre-release publicity, there is surprisingly little about John's affair. I wasn't looking for the tabloid details. Instead I was hoping she would be as honest about the aftermath of the affair as she was about other aspects of her life. How did they deal with it immediately? How was the trust re-broken after he finally told the whole truth? What has her relationship been with her children, especially the adult daughter? How are the kids and extended family feeling about John? How are they mending their relationship?

I would definitely buy and read the book again. Although more details were available in the Oprah interview regarding the affair, her honesty and thought processes are incredible. As I said, she is a strong woman. (written by Financially Secure of Ohio)

Resource: http://www.amazon.com/Resilience-Reflect...8726&sr=1-1