The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 146 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 37 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 36 37 >
Topic Options
#181534 - 05/05/09 09:30 PM Re: What are you reading? [Re: Kathryn Magendie]
underwearmaven Offline

Loc: Winston Salem, NC
Hi all, My Fiction picks:
1. I just finished reading The Help by Kathryn Stockett. I was born in Georgia and grew up in North Carolina. My Mom's from Jackson Miss and Dad's from Jasper Ala so this one really hit home. It's about black maids in Mississippi in the early 1960's. Some of you guys cracked me up with comments about some people in Turkey because you would have been fired in my former Corporate America world. So maybe it's not a pick for a discussion but I still think it's a good read.
2. The Thirteenth Tale: A Novel by Diane Settenfield I think it makes a great summer light read.

#181547 - 05/06/09 01:21 AM Re: What are you reading? [Re: underwearmaven]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
The new 112 page soft cover book by Jimmy Gillentine called
Of Blood and the Moon. It is a suspense thriller and what a book, I just got it yesterday and can't put it down.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#181548 - 05/06/09 01:23 AM Re: What are you reading? [Re: chatty lady]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
I am reading the story of John Wayne. Interesting.

#181587 - 05/06/09 01:59 PM Re: What are you reading? [Re: Di]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I finished our Kathryn Magendie's book and loved it. I felt like I'd lost a few friends when I finished. Her writing style is incredibly good ladies. I'm not kidding. I can't recall reading a book that has such fun dialogue and such endearing children. Loved it.

chatty, one fo the next books I'm reading is one you suggested, Voluntary Madness. It's about the woman who checked herself in to the psychiatric ward, though she isn't mentally ill. I can't wait to read it. The author is Norah Vincent. She also wrote the book, which I didn't read but heard about, Self-Made Man wehre she goes undercover as a man. Sounds like a really neat investigative journalist. I'll let you know what I think.

#181589 - 05/06/09 02:02 PM Re: What are you reading? [Re: Di]
Kathryn Magendie Offline

Loc: Western North Carolina
I read Kathryn S's THE HELP and reviewed it for Osondu Booksellers review site smile

I'm between books. Looking forward to the next one. Just read a collection of stories called "Married to the Military" by Terry Rollins. Not my usual kind of reading, but she is a local writer and I happened to walk in the bookstore while she was sitting there at a table with books, so I bought one to support another writer. It read quickly. It read more like "essays" than short stories, but the stories were poignant.

#181603 - 05/06/09 03:05 PM Re: What are you reading? [Re: Kathryn Magendie]
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
Just read:

Per Petterson...Out Stealing Horses
Sandra Dallas...Prayers For Sale
Curtiss Ann Matlock...Chin Up, Honey

Going to read next:

Susuan Weed....New Menopausal Years, The Wise Woman Way: Alternative Approaches for Women 30-90.

And going to re-read...

M. Scott Peck and Don Miguel Ruiz books that I have on my bookshelf.

#181638 - 05/06/09 09:19 PM Re: What are you reading? [Re: Cookie]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Dotsie, you are in for a real treat. Nora is a wonderfully different kind of writer in ever sense of different...

#181645 - 05/06/09 10:28 PM Re: What are you reading? [Re: chatty lady]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
Dots, I wish we were closer, too, for many reasons besides book sharing.

Here's a website WEB OF DEBT for a quick read, if unable to read the book, WEB of DEBT. Girls, I'm not a gloom and doomER, but I AM ONE WHO BELIEVES we're in for a rough storm... really rough. Like I tell my daughters, 'don't get caught up in hysteria, but be informed.'

#181695 - 05/07/09 06:22 PM Re: What are you reading? [Re: gims]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
gims, I jsut sent this link to my son to see if it's a book he'd like to read. I think he might. Thanks.

chatty, I've only read about 15 pages, but I think I'm going to love it. Did you read her first book?

cookie, how is prayers for sale? Sounds interesting. And please keep me posted on Susan Weed's book. I should probably read that one if you like it.

I love hearing what others are reading.

#181714 - 05/07/09 08:33 PM Re: What are you reading? [Re: Dotsie]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

I try to read everything written by an authors work I am fond of.

Page 3 of 37 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 36 37 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved