The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 188 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#181581 - 05/06/09 01:47 PM Got a SPRING in your walk?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I don't know what it is about the seasons, but they affect me. Do they you? Spring comes and I immediately tell myself it's time to walk every day. I get excited, motivated, and go so far as to actually put on my tennis shoes. Then the excuses come...too hot, too rainy, too many good shows on TV, too much grout in the bathroom, my nails need painting, my dust needs remov---okay, that's carrying it a bit far. Who dust anymore?

All joking aside, I can tell you what time of the year it is by my motivations and actions.

Spring = walking (I actually DO walk...honest injun)
Summer = looking around the house for yard sale stuff to make money for upcoming vacation. I'd sell my dog if I could.
Fall = digging out my friends (also called sweat pants)
Winter = Looking up good soup recipes on the net. I must have a hundred of them.

You? Do you walk in the Spring, sweat in the summer, change over to sweats in the Fall and cook in the winter? What do the seasons say to you?

#181687 - 05/07/09 03:39 PM Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? [Re: jawjaw]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Don't tell me that not one single person in here walks. No? You walk to the refrigerator, don't you? That counts. At least it does to me. In all honesty, I was trying to find out WHAT comes to mind when you face each season, Spring, Summer, Winter, and Fall. That's all.

#181691 - 05/07/09 05:42 PM Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? [Re: jawjaw]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
I walk around the mall...it's four-season, cool in summer and warm in winter, safe (no dogs, perverts or exhaust fumes [unless you count hubby's propensity for gas]) and lots to look at along the way.

Where we live is surrounded by industry/retail. Lots of traffic, lots of noise, lots of pavement. So we do tend to go elsewhere to walk, and usually combine it with errands.

As to what comes to mind when facing each season? Hmmm.

Spring - gardening, setting up the backyard to feed the critters, watching the evolution of colour in my perennial garden...crocuses, violets, daffodils, grape hyacinths, tulips...glorious!

Summer - colourful capris and visiting hubby's family way up north - nice, sunny but not as brutally hot as here.

Fall - usually we try to do our major traveling during the fall. Also planting more bulbs so we can have more crocuses, violets, daffodils, grape hyacinths and tulips next spring!

Winter - hibernation. Long johns. Hot homemade soups. Cuba for six weeks where we can walk on hot sunny beaches instead of slip-sliding along dangerously icy sidewalks!

And now that I have my Wii Fit, I can exercise whenever I want, no matter what the weather. Nice.

(Maya Angelou)

#181701 - 05/07/09 06:57 PM Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? [Re: Eagle Heart]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I walk in the spring, summer and fall, and grow bigger in the winter. I'm so glad spring is here. Trying to drum up walking partners now.

The sun has finally popped through after too many days of rain. Once I get the mold off me, I'm going out to garden.

#181813 - 05/08/09 09:47 PM Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? [Re: Dotsie]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Now that I am once again feeling stronger and stesadier I have been taking short walks adding a couple hundred steps a day. It has been in the low hundreds so I walk at dusk, its only 80 something then, LOL!!!

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#181894 - 05/10/09 03:22 PM Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? [Re: chatty lady]
Plains Woman Offline

Loc: Iowa
I walk 1 1/2 miles daily. I used to walk 3 but after a couple of years I didn't even want to get out of bed in the morning thinking of the walking I had to do. Finally told myself, duh self, you made the rule you can change it. So I dropped to 1 1/2 miles a day and don't have trouble facing the day now.

Let's see about the seasons. Spring is a season I simply can't wait for. Warmer weather, the grass turns green, animals have their babies, gardening begins, it's just a wake up time of year.

Summer is wonderful....as long as I have air-conditing to come into. Summer finally warms me clear through after the cold, cold, cold of winter.

Fall is actually my favorite time of year BUT there's always the gnawing feeling in my stomach of what's coming next. I love the trees changing, the animals getting winter coats, the harvesting of crops, the putting to bed of gardens. It's just an absolutely beautiful time of year with the fresh crisp weather, the blue skies and "feel" of the weather.

Winter...sorry, but I hate it. I'm originally from California and I loved winters for the first 25 years of living in Iowa. I now literally hate them and that's the way it is. I sometimes think if we lived where there were trees to stop the horrendous north winds it would help but in farm land there aren't a whole lot of trees.

#181898 - 05/10/09 03:43 PM Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? [Re: Plains Woman]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Isn't it ironic how each season has it pros and cons. God knew what he was doing when he made the change of the seasons...we jump into each one welcoming the change, it stays a bit, then we tire of it and are ready for the next one. Amazing.

Of all of them, I suppose harsh winters are the ones I dislike the most. But then again, no mosquitos...

#181902 - 05/10/09 04:26 PM Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? [Re: jawjaw]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
Plains woman, I can relate. Except I dread the summers here. The first few years, I didn't mind the heat because the winters are so mild I figured it was a small price to pay; and there's very little humidity. But either the summer humidity is getting worse, or I'm more used to it, because I hate summers now. It's already over 100 here, and I can't stand the heat any more. But whenever we think about moving somewhere else, we realize that the weather here is probably the best we're going to find outside of Hawaii. Neither of us can stand cold weather any more. And the thought of hurricanes, earthquakes, tornadoes, keeps us here where we have none of those.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#181906 - 05/10/09 05:37 PM Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? [Re: yonuh]
humlan Offline

Loc: Sweden
OOOOOHHHHH..I soo want to walk..I can´t jogg anymore..because of my bad knee. And I just can´t get motivated enough. When I get home from work..I am sooo tired. I work with small children..can´t that count for exercise? I wonder. I don´t sit down much at all..it´s up and down all the time. There is some standing while outside watching them all..and this is tough on the knees.

I feel very guilty for not going out to walk..I used to run almost daily and loved it.

The only thing I do quite faithfully is yoga..that I do almost every evening.

But it´s tough getting out there after work..even if it´s a LOVELY evening. I probably should do what you do, Chatty..start with a few small steps..and I mean a FEW! Maybe even 10 min out and 10 back the same way is too much for my brain to take in after work. I have to think less..every journey started with one step..or however that thought goes...

You just may have something there! I KNOW that you have been really ill and have had a tough time..but you are not giving up!!! You are taking 1 step at a time. I am really impressed..and inspired! Gotta think about what you are doing..AND GOOD LUCK, Chatty!!! You´ll end up getting far on your walks..I know you will..a lot farther than I have so far smile

#181929 - 05/10/09 09:35 PM Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? [Re: humlan]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
I still walk but, have a hard time with "springing" since I hurt my ankle in a train derailment a while back. It still poses a bother on some days and walking ten miles becomes a hard task...I do alright with five. At the very least, I do three a day.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved