The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 121 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#190185 - 09/18/09 09:43 PM Re: When will you retire? [Re: Mountain Ash]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
When some kind soul closes the lid on my casket...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#190217 - 09/19/09 11:07 PM Re: When will you retire? [Re: chatty lady]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
I would love to retire and will - when I win the lottery! In the meantime, I have a day job that's not too stressful, a side business with no stress at all, and another side business that I'm trying to figure out how to expand so I can quit my day job. If I can make enough money with the not-my-day-job jobs then I probably won't want to retire.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#191971 - 10/17/09 04:21 PM Re: When will you retire? [Re: yonuh]
maggie2 Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
What an interesting thread. I don't think I'll ever really retire. I have a small business that is pretty portable...I do some work on the Internet so as long as I can have an Internet connection I'll be able to do my thing no matter where I am. I can't imagine not doing anything for years on end. I like to keep busy and keep my mind active. I'm fortunate because with what I do I can work when I want and where I want so I can always take time off if I want to.

I really feel for those ladies who are working in jobs they don't like. I've been there and it's no fun. Hope all of you feeling that way can find a way to move on to something you enjoy more.

#191974 - 10/17/09 05:18 PM Re: When will you retire? [Re: ]
Mountain Ash Offline

Returning to this tread...
retire
whilst I no longer do paid work my life is full and like many of those here who also no longer have an employer we wonder where we had time to work.

#191975 - 10/17/09 05:19 PM Re: When will you retire? [Re: ]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
yonuh and maggie, I'd lvoe to thear more about your jobs. I'm curious...

Anne, my FIL is in an Alzheimer's care facility for many reasons, but one was definitely that he couldn't be home alone with ONE care provider, whether it was family or someone from an agency. Honestly, it's scary, and he's very strong. We don't think he'd ever hurt soemone intentionally, but he's literally out of his mind. The other night it took three aides to get him back to his room. He thougth someone had been murdered and was going in all the residents rooms to notify them (many were sleeping.)

Do you have a medicine you can use to sedate your patient if need be? I hope so.

#193836 - 11/13/09 04:02 AM Re: When will you retire? [Re: Madelaine]
coffeemom Offline

I retired in June of 2008 at age 55. I had taught school for 33 years. I miss the kids but I love retirement. I've always wanted to be a stay-at-home wife and mother, and now I can be - even though my boys don't live at home anymore. I'm still here whenever they need me, and we can have late night phone conversations.

#193848 - 11/13/09 01:20 PM Re: When will you retire? [Re: coffeemom]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
maggie2, I tend to think along your lines. Actually I was always looking forward to retirement, but after a sick week,...which bored me to death...uh uh...don't think I'm ready yet. I need to keep my mind active as well.

#193896 - 11/14/09 12:10 AM Re: When will you retire? [Re: Edelweiss3]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
After my stepfather passed on, my mother got bored too so went out and found a job, she was 72 then and had worked all of her life. Mother worked for the County Assessor until she was 87, and loved it but was having problems with one nasty woman there so she retired and took her pension. She is 89 now and hates being inactive, says she should have listened to me when I told her to confront that evil b-i-t-c-h and give her a piece of her mind. She has regretted retiring everyday since.

When asked, I told someone I'd retire when they lit and threw the match into the crematorium....Ouch!!!!

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#193926 - 11/14/09 07:02 AM Re: When will you retire? [Re: chatty lady]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Anne, I'm just seeing this. No, I don't believe this is a law.

coffeemom, retirement sounds like it suits you. It sounds very relaxing, and the idea of having time seems peaceful!

I think that if I wasn't working, I'd probably do lots of volunteer work. At this stage in life, I still have lots of energy. Retirement scares me a bit. I was a stay-at-home mom until my kids were leaving the nest, so now I'm enjoying the work.

#193927 - 11/14/09 07:04 AM Re: When will you retire? [Re: Dotsie]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

chatty, I bet your mom misses the people at work as much as she misses the work itself. Also, having something to look forward to doing each day is so important for the elderly.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved