The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 150 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#181572 - 05/06/09 01:25 PM When will you retire?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
When do you think you'll retire? Or, if you're married, when will your spouse retire?

I think many of us have changed our minds about retirement during this past year. I won't retire until Ross does. His new plan is to cut back days as the years march on, eventually ending up with only one or two days of work a week. But who knows how old he'll be when he finally decides not to work at all.

With the current economy, all we can think about is adding to the retirement. There's no way we can consider living on it now.

#181895 - 05/10/09 03:30 PM Re: When will you retire? [Re: Dotsie]
Plains Woman Offline

Loc: Iowa
My husband retired at 60 (he's now 65). When I retired 2 years ago (I'm now 62) I thought we'd travel and do things...nope, didn't happen. Husband is a stay at home and I'm a goer. I stayed home one winter and said that's enough. Living in a cold, cold climate there's nothing for me to do outside, so I went back to work teaching preschool 3 mornings a week. Just enough to get me out the door and keep me from being bored and yet I can still have my social life.

I've signed my contract for another year but then I think I'll do some traveling alone if he won't go. Does anyone else travel alone? I've decided to do maybe like a 2 day bus trip and see what it's like by myself. Time will tell what I do, if anything.

#181925 - 05/10/09 08:23 PM Re: When will you retire? [Re: Plains Woman]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
I expect to work until 65. I wish I didn't have to but that's just reality.

He took early retirement at 58 because he had the benefit working for 1 employer for the whole of his career, though he moved around in company. Then he started up his own business last year at 65 coincidentally. He sees as "fun" way to make abit of money. I'm happy for him, because he likes doing it though he's had to work long hrs. to complete certain projects. Hopefully this is not going to be all consuming thing for him because I would like him to be healthy in mind and body.

#181926 - 05/10/09 08:58 PM Re: When will you retire? [Re: orchid]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
In ten years' time, I'll be 63 and my oldest grandson will be heading off to university. My retirement falls along the line of my grandchildren's future endeavours. I have saved for my children and have transferred a bulk of my possessions to them. Everything I do now is for my grandchildren. So, I make hay while the sun shines and grateful that I can.

Unless I become infirm, I don't think I'll ever retire. I have always been busy and the greatest fear for me is boredom. I have entertained the thought of putting up a cooperative food store exclusively for the elderly some time in the future. Perhaps, employ retirees as well who would want to be kept busy for a few hours a week. Come to think of it, maybe I should start on a feasibility study soon...while the brain is still sharp. LOL!

#181961 - 05/11/09 05:47 PM Re: When will you retire? [Re: Lola]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Lola, what a great idea....yes, act on it now while you can! LOL! I think it's too late for meeeee...

I retired four years ago when my company retired me. In other words, I was caught up in a downsize. I think I've told it before, but that's when I finished my book, had it published, and started writing publicly. I write articles for magazines, sites, blogs, and will write for food. I happily work for DotsieMeister and a few other clients. I also transcribe audio files and do some editing. I will never retire fully, I don't believe. I'm one of those crazy people that love to work...but only if it is something I love doing.

I sometimes marvel at the fact that I've been able to make a living working from home, yet OH SO GRATEFUL!

But when I was laid off, I knew I had to either fish or cut bait. It was time to either follow my dream, or always wonder what it would be like....My gut spoke...I listened!

#181969 - 05/11/09 07:00 PM Re: When will you retire? [Re: jawjaw]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Plains, fortunately, you can travel in the summer during your time off.

orchid, Let's home he doean't get bogged down by his hobby/fun/passion job. I thnk lots of boomers are doign what he's doing. I think it's the way to go.

Lola, I love your ways. Will you be my mentor?

JJ, thank God for you girlfriend! Glad you enjoy what you're doing.

I think many boomers will work long past retirement doing something they enjoy. And if not working for pay, then volunteering. I know there are people out there who call us the selfish generation, but I don't buy it. Not for oneminute. Boomers are givers!

#182476 - 05/18/09 01:50 PM Re: When will you retire? [Re: Dotsie]
Alice Offline

Loc: Michigan
I plan to quit work in 3 years. I work in the Department of Mathematics and Statistics at a University. It is God's little joke; me being a dancer, singer, writer and poetess. I had no choice in that job......I know the Professors have all had lobotomies (excruciatingly boring...tunnel-vision).

arrrghhhhhh; I just want OUT, and to promote my book (to be published), and go on a cruise, and, and, and........I've always made the best out of life........but it is a struggle in the Math Department.......

I pray that God sends me a husband before that time, so that I can spend HIS money, too!

I will never stop moving and shaking.....i just don't want to be where I am!

Love, Alice

#182676 - 05/21/09 12:46 PM Re: When will you retire? [Re: ]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Alice, how long have you been there? Sounds like a major case of burn-out.

Anne, I don't see anything wrong with working until the end. I believe my dad's generation retired too young and became inactive, which may have added to their imobility and brain drain. I think you use it or lose it.

#182691 - 05/21/09 04:00 PM Re: When will you retire? [Re: Dotsie]
Madelaine Offline

Loc: Pacific Northwest
I hope to retire in 3 years myself. I don't know how we can swing it financially, (really~! how do people do it? that's a BIG cut in income.)
Then i will have more time to paint.(bwahahahaha)
Creative endeavors are kind of strange. You can't just say,
"Mimi will paint for 2 hours a day" and expect it to happen.

About our parent's generation, I think they glorified inactivity and it hurt them badly. Their parents worked manual labor and their scant free time was taken resting. So they got the idea that leisure was good, important, even while their jobs had changed drastically to desk jobs and non laborious enterprises. But they still had the notion that the BIG DEAL was to sit down and now rest. My stepfather, who is 80 something, actually said it "Now I don't have to do anything" and he quit being physical. And it's really hurt him, he's become weak and feeble. I don't want to do that. I know that physical work/exercise is something our bodies need, even if we don't WORK work, the body still requires it or it wastes away.

#182708 - 05/21/09 07:45 PM Re: When will you retire? [Re: ]
MustangGal
Unregistered

Gosh, with today's economy, I'll probably work until I'm 75!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved