The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 177 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#181297 - 05/02/09 11:20 AM Re: Why I'm Shopping at WalMart [Re: DJ]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
We frequent Eddie's and Graul's but pretty much for special occasions because they're pricey. I hit Trader Joe's, but not on a regular basis. I need to go there more often. THanks for the reminder.

Which health store do you use?

The crazy thing is that I've never been a Wally World shopper until this past year. It's so convenient and inexpensive. And I've got to say, the people who work there are most helpful. I know - shoot me.

They do sell fresh meat and produce at the super store north of us, but I don't travel that far to food shop.

#181300 - 05/02/09 12:33 PM Re: Why I'm Shopping at WalMart [Re: DJ]
Ellemm Offline

Sorry; I had a moment. Carry on.

#181301 - 05/02/09 12:55 PM Re: Why I'm Shopping at WalMart [Re: Ellemm]
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
Dots -- The Health Concern on Susquehanna -- it's a 5 minute walk from your house.

#181333 - 05/02/09 10:43 PM Re: Why I'm Shopping at WalMart [Re: Dotsie]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
For the social and quality control reasons mentioned by DJ and Anne327, and the screaming out-of-control children mentioned by Di, I refuse to set foot in Walmart, period.

Remember last year's great-price toys that happened to have toxic levels of lead? I wouldn't trust any of their food either.

I'm lucky to have year-round farmers' markets, and Trader Joe's and Henry's for packaged products. Craft fairs for many of my gifts.

Walmart has absolutely nothing that I want and can't buy elsewhere -- and will. I don't have a lot of money, but my quality of life and value systems are worth so much more.

This said and done, I don't hold it against anyone else who goes there. We all make our own choices for a variety of reasons.

Poet and essayist

#181345 - 05/03/09 02:51 PM Re: Why I'm Shopping at WalMart [Re: meredithbead]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
I shop local whenever possible. Wal-Mart used to be a good place to shop with good practices. But since Sam Walton died, Wal-Mart has gone downhill - he must be spinning in his grave to see what his heirs have done! I refuse to shop in a place that treats its employees the way WM does and that has the practices they have. If I find out that any company does things that go against my personal values, I won't patronize that company. We do all our grocery shopping at the local food co-op; we buy clothes at resale/consignment shops, many of which support charities; we buy our pet supplies at the local feed store. But I will never fault anyone for shopping where they shop - it's a personal decision.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved