The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 150 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#181215 - 04/30/09 07:54 PM Why I'm Shopping at WalMart
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
This past eyar, I've begun doing some food shopping at Wal*Mart. I feel badly becasue I love to support small businesses, but check this out.

I got a few things at Wal*Mart, then ran to the Super Fresh because my Wal*Mart doesn't sell produce or fresh meats.

Here are some savings. I don't know how people can stay away from Wal*Mart especially during these tough economic times:

Juice at WM - 2.69, SF 3.79
Charmin toilet tissue WM - 7.86 SF 8.99
Wheat Thins at WM 3.48 - SF - 4.69
Breakfast bars at WM 2.74 - SF - 3.79
Chicken marinade at WM, 2.50 - SF - 3.19
Arizona Tea- WM - 2.73 SF - 3.19

These are just a few of the prices I checked. Amazing, isn't it?

Do you shop at Wally World? If so, what deals do you find?

#181219 - 04/30/09 09:49 PM Re: Why I'm Shopping at WalMart [Re: Dotsie]
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
When I was younger and poorer I had to shop for price. Because I no longer have to, I don't. If you look into the reasons WalMart is cheaper, you might be surprised. first of all, China subsidizes its companies. Secondly, Wal-Mart doesn't pay much to its employees. Third, Wal-mart cuts deals with companies, forcing them to cheapen the quality of their product or be pushed out of business.

Last month I drove from the East Coast through the Midwest and once again beheld the cute little towns and cities that have been devastated by the likes of Wal-Mart. The downtown areas are dead and shuttered, while the great big Wal-Marts sprawl all over what used to be farmland. Wal-Mart is a scourge on American culture and I say, no thanks!

By the way, having said all that, I make our food completely from scratch, and wouldn't buy any of those products anyway. Except I get Giant brand TP. I buy in bulk at the health food store all the makings for granola, make tea from tea bags and hot water, eat fruit instead of juice, and create marinade from herbs, oil, soy, honey, whatever. Jeez, if Wal-mart sold fresh meat, I hope you'd reconsider, Dotsie.

#181221 - 04/30/09 10:59 PM Re: Why I'm Shopping at WalMart [Re: DJ]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
We used to shop at WM, but then found out from friends and family who worked there just how badly they treat their employees. Now we go only if we can't find what we want elsewhere, which isn't very often. In fact, now that I think of it, we go out of our way to avoid WM.

(Maya Angelou)

#181227 - 05/01/09 01:26 AM Re: Why I'm Shopping at WalMart [Re: ]
MustangGal
Unregistered

Arrrgh! Wal-Mart change their selections so often, that now I make a bi-weekly trip to Target to purchase that which is no longer on shelves @ Wally World.

I've noticed Wal-Mart's prices have increased and find better quality jeans for less at Tractor Supply. Also, TS had a good sale on wild bird seed!

Additionally, the Wal-Marts in my local area no longer accept "printed" (from internet or email) coupons! I obtain half my coupons by internet!

#181230 - 05/01/09 02:41 AM Re: Why I'm Shopping at WalMart [Re: ]
Ellemm Offline

Well, I often shop at Wal-Mart because I don't have much choice out here in the boonies (we actually have 2 Wal-Marts, which seems like some kind of booby prize). There's a small regular grocery I often stop in and another, pricier one. That's it unless I want to drive 50 miles. I try to minimize my purchases of packaged stuff and stick to staples. We drink iced herb teas all through the summer and I get whatever fresh fruit looks good. They actually have organic eggs in all the grocery stores here, so I get those. I don't use coupons much because they seem to be for stuff I don't want anyway.

By the way, Target also treats their employees like crap. These folks thrive in areas like mine where people are poorer, the culture is very anti-union, and few people are looking for gourmet or 'different' food anyway.

#181231 - 05/01/09 03:10 AM Re: Why I'm Shopping at WalMart [Re: Ellemm]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
I go to Walmart when I feel like dealing with it and I can go early, early...before 7 am! I normally dread going there. IT's got to do with too many screaming kids and parents who don't mind them. Way too many people from Mexico there.

We use Albertson's "in a pinch". and our local grocer for quick stuff...only 7 miles away. Walmart is about 20 miles.

I like the fact that Walmart will honor lower prices from other stores when you bring those sale papers. Again, only if I have time.

#181232 - 05/01/09 04:20 AM Re: Why I'm Shopping at WalMart [Re: Di]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Ok, maybe my life is different. But I'm not camping. I'm living in a home with our possessions just like all of you.

I haven't gone to Walmart's or any Walmart's-like store in last few years. I think I went to a dollar store 12 months ago to buy some wrapping paper and a cheap plastic spray bottle (for an art course I was taking).

We buy all our toiletries and cleaning supplies from drug store chains or grocery store nearby. Wrapping paper and cards here and there from independent stores or dollar stores.

I'm afraid we have no more room to accommodate more stuff.

Clearly, I'm missing something here in the consumer trend.

I'm not sure where the closest Walmart store is to us. And we've been living in Vancouver for past 7 yrs.!

#181238 - 05/01/09 05:56 AM Re: Why I'm Shopping at WalMart [Re: orchid]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
We do not have a Walmart here but, ASDA which, I believe, is a subsidiary. I shop at ASDA's because they have the best employment policy in the UK and I go into supermarkets only for those items I cannot purchase from the local traders. ASDA's always have rollbacks which reminds me to go shop this weekend with my DIL as most items are £1.

#181246 - 05/01/09 12:45 PM Re: Why I'm Shopping at WalMart [Re: Lola]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
DJ, I saw the Wal*Mart documentary and I still shop there. Can't help it. I believe all the other big stores, more than likely, have some of the same practices. Di, I'm also a very early morning shopper. They're one of the only stores that are open at 7:00. I love getting in and out early.

I've found the employees to be most pleasant and very helpful.

My latest purchases there have been perrenial flowers which are half as much in price.

I am very familiar with big business/small business America. Ross is an optometrist in private practice. His competition is huge with Sam's Club, Wally World, Pearl, etc. But people go to him because he's an excellent doctor/diagnostician with great staff and good products. You get what you pay for. But when it comes to boxes or jars of food, I'd rather save money, and Super Fresh isn't a small business either.

Edited by Dotsie (05/01/09 12:46 PM)

#181273 - 05/01/09 04:22 PM Re: Why I'm Shopping at WalMart [Re: Dotsie]
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
Dotise --

Around here you have more choices than just Wal mart and superfresh.

Eddie's and Graul's are both small and locally owned. Graul's isn't as cheap as Walmart of course, but is competitive with the chains. Both have fresh fish. Graul's has organic chicken, beef and more and more of its vegetables. There''s also a health food store in walking distance from wehre you live. And Trader Joes.

If I can "save" one soul from shopping at Wal-Mart, it's worth a try wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved