The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 116 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 5 of 37 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 36 37 >
Topic Options
#182236 - 05/15/09 01:38 AM Re: What are you reading? [Re: Rachel2]
crazymom Offline

Charles Swindoll is my favorite author. I think I've read everything he's written. I have journals filled with his wise words that I've copied out of his books. A few of my favorites are "Living Above the Level of Mediocrity", "Growing Strong in the Seasons of Life", "Improving Your Serve", and "Laugh Again". Right now I am re-reading his book "Stress Fractures."

“I believe the single most significant decision I can make on a day-to-day basis is my choice of attitude. It is more important than my past, my education, my bankroll, my successes or failures, fame or pain, what other people think of me or say about me, my circumstances, or my position. Attitude keeps me going or cripples my progress. It alone fuels my fire or assaults my hope. When my attitudes are right, there is no barrier too high, no valley too deep, no dream too extreme, no challenge too great for me.”
Charles R. Swindoll

#182243 - 05/15/09 11:22 AM Re: What are you reading? [Re: crazymom]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I couldn't agree with you more. Each day when I awake, I thank God for allowing me another day, then I tell myself it's going to be a great day. That's my choice. Call it hokey, whatever; but my mother has done this her entire life, and goes so far as to open the front door and shout, "Morning World!" She does so with zest and a full heart.

What a great author!

#182259 - 05/15/09 01:36 PM Re: What are you reading? [Re: jawjaw]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
JJ, I remember you sharing this about your Mom a long time ago...and now, every single morning, I remember your Mom, and it ALWAYS helps me rise and shine and greet the world with gladness. I've even managed to open my blinds and silently shout my own "Morning world" and give thanks to God for another beautiful day. Your Mom has touched my heart and helped me more than you will ever know!

(Maya Angelou)

#182298 - 05/15/09 07:21 PM Re: What are you reading? [Re: Rachel2]
Kathryn Magendie Offline

Loc: Western North Carolina
I'm reading "Blessings" by Anna Quindlen - I love this book! I am thoroughly engaged and love the characters...

#182314 - 05/16/09 12:24 AM Re: What are you reading? [Re: Kathryn Magendie]
AmyDoodle Offline

Loc: South Carolina
Okay, at the risk of seeming less than esoteric, I'm reading The Sweet Potato Queens Wedding Planner and Divorce Guide. Because sometimes you just gotta laugh.

#182399 - 05/17/09 01:18 AM Re: What are you reading? [Re: AmyDoodle]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Hello. I read "Still Alice" about Alzheimer's from the patient's perspective. It's a novel, but the author says she felt a responsibility to be as accurate as possible in defining the evolution of the disease. I also read "Tragedy in Tin Can Holler" a true story about generational domestic violence. Now I am reading "People of the Lie" by M. Scott Peck. Want to hear a weird story? When I came home after visiting my mother and step f, my mind urged me to get "People of the Lie" off my book shelf. So I did, and I set it by my chair without opening it. The next day I told myself that I did not know why I picked up that book, and I put it back on my shelf. Today I was talking to a friend about my visit with my mom and step f, and my friend said, "Have you read People of the Lie? I think it would be beneficial to you now." So, of course, I ran back to the shelf while I was still on the phone with her to re-collect the book. Dotsie, I get attached to my books too, and carry them around, like a pet! Off to read ... Lynn

#182757 - 05/22/09 02:49 PM Re: What are you reading? [Re: CuteSnoop]
Rachel2 Offline

oh man isnt that good. I have just finished that , definately brought me up. have in my personal library , start your new life in christ ( think thats the name, its at home and I'm going off memory, ) I even go to her web site and get sermons and quotes.

Rachel

#182768 - 05/22/09 05:04 PM Re: What are you reading? [Re: Rachel2]
Mountain Ash Offline

Princess
I have used Scott Pecks books for ongoing growth..and agree that People of the Lie is excellent.
The Different Drum likewise...and as a source for counselling study along with Carl Rogers and Eric Berne Scott Peck is a great source.
But in everyday interaction and my own wellbeing I believe Scott Peck has been my guru..
As for the facial expressions noted in the first mentioned book I agree and add that the colour of complexion can give show inheld trauma when speaking to a troubled person.
Just as "The teacher appears when the student is ready" I seem to find books in my own journey in an amazing way..

Elisabeth Kulber Ross as a model is another good friend to me and of course C.S.Lewis
Books and more books...my good friends.
Mountain ash

#186989 - 07/22/09 09:54 PM Re: What are you reading? [Re: Sandpiper]
Rachel2 Offline

I just closed the covered of the book "The Secrets of Happily Married women " By Scott Haltzman , M.D and Theresa Foy DiGeronimo

#187038 - 07/23/09 06:55 PM Re: What are you reading? [Re: Rachel2]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
How was it? I like the title. Here's a lonk for those interested:
http://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Happily-Ma...5246&sr=1-1

I'm reading a couple books, but enjoying Firefly Lane. More than half finished.

Page 5 of 37 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 36 37 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved