The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 141 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 4 of 37 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 36 37 >
Topic Options
#182038 - 05/12/09 02:02 PM Re: What are you reading? [Re: chatty lady]
Plains Woman Offline

Loc: Iowa
I'm so glad to find BWS Book Club.

I hadn't heard of Norah Vincent but I think I'll give her a try. Her books sound intriguing.

This time of year I mostly read light fiction. In the winter when I have more time to read I get into deeper subjects.

Right now I'm ready to start the new Diane Mott Davidson, Fatally Flaky.

On my mp3 I have Tracie Peterson's, Land of My Heart, downloading as I write.

Does anyone listen to audio books? I used to listen to cassettes, then CD's and now I download them right from the library to my computer at home. Really slick!

#182051 - 05/12/09 06:06 PM Re: What are you reading? [Re: Plains Woman]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Aren't you tech savvy. You go girl. I don't listen to books. The only time I did that was when the kids were little and we traveled a bit. It was a great way to keep them occupied.

I love holding a book in my hand, marking it up, taking notes, etc. That's why I don't ever think I'll use a Kindle, but am looking in to it for hubby. He has mentioned he might use one.

I also have a thing for saving the books I read. It's ridiculous. Buying books is one of my weaknesses. It's funny because my 24 year-old son is the same way. This weekend, he said, "I think I need another bookshelf." Heaven help him. I said, "Either that or get rid os some." He didn't respond. He also gets attached to his books. He lends them to Ross all the time, then when Ross is finished he gets them right back to him. What a hoot.

#182068 - 05/12/09 11:14 PM Re: What are you reading? [Re: Dotsie]
Plains Woman Offline

I love books too. I've never tried a Kindle but can't imagine cuddling up to it like I do a good book.

I listen to audio books as I walk, working around the house or whenever my hands are busy but my mind can wander. There are some authors like Grisham, Baldacci, etc. that I never read but listen to on my mp3. Then there are the special authors that I like to cuddle up with their books and enjoy.

I seldom buy books. Working at the library I have input on what we buy so I check them out there. Our library also has no fines so life is good! smile

Tech savvy, me? That makes me smile! smile My husband figures it all out and then shows me how to do it.

#182075 - 05/13/09 12:17 AM Re: What are you reading? [Re: Plains Woman]
underwearmaven Offline

Loc: Winston Salem, NC
Hi Plains Woman, I must be the audio book queen - I am so audio in learning preferences that it's weird. Most of the world favors visional learning followed by "feeling" learning and audio is a far 3rd. I usually listen to nonfiction but check in here for good reads both fiction and non fiction that I wouldn't know to select but love the "listen". I know and enjoy the Mott series and use it for beach reading and total relaxation. sincerely, Lea

#182076 - 05/13/09 12:19 AM Re: What are you reading? [Re: underwearmaven]
underwearmaven Offline

Loc: Winston Salem, NC
Hi again Plains Women, Water for Elephants was one of the best audio books I've heard. I highly recommend it and I learned about it from this forum.

#182088 - 05/13/09 12:35 PM Re: What are you reading? [Re: underwearmaven]
Plains Woman Offline

Hi Underwearmaven, love that name! Anyway, I read Water for Elephants a couple of years ago and you're right, it was good.

In the last few years I've probably listened to as many or more books than I've read. When I started listening in 1990 the only books availiable were things like "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court" or an old Jack Benny show type thing. It's really come a long ways since then. You can get everything in audio now.

Do you check out/buy cd's or do you download through your library on the internet?

#182111 - 05/13/09 02:38 PM Re: What are you reading? [Re: Plains Woman]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Plains, Grisham and Baldacci are two of my son and husband's favorite authors. They've read them all and are always psyched to get their hands on the latest.

#182164 - 05/14/09 03:35 PM Re: What are you reading? [Re: Dianne50]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
Ann asked me to post this for her because she can't get into the site right now.

I could tell there is a discussion about a new book, but my internet is funny at the moment. I would like to toss in a book
The Diving Bell and The Butterfly. It's a short, beautiful book written by Jean-Dominique Bauby. He was a former editor of Elle Magazine, French edition. He had a stroke and spent the last two years of his life writing this reflection on living.

I am loving the positive energy that comes through each page.

Ann

#182167 - 05/14/09 03:46 PM Re: What are you reading? [Re: Edelweiss3]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Maybe we could do it for the book club. WE all need positive energy.

How is Ann?

#182211 - 05/14/09 09:03 PM Re: What are you reading? [Re: Dotsie]
Rachel2 Offline

The book I'm reading now is "Wasted" by Mark Johnson. It's an autobiography of an abuse survivor. Since I am thinking of writing my own abuse surviver story, I was told it would be beneficial to read others and get an idea of how some are written. So I am...lol.

But I could definately get into some positive energy in my life-never can have to much because its a great well to draw from when you need a pick me up.

Edited by Rachel2 (05/14/09 09:04 PM)

Page 4 of 37 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 36 37 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved