The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 197 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 35 of 37 < 1 2 ... 33 34 35 36 37 >
Topic Options
#210305 - 01/12/11 12:25 AM Re: What are you reading? [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
Sandy N. Offline

Loc: Washington State
Thanks, Ann, for the report on the movie - My Sister's Keeper. I think I'll rent it after all.

#210330 - 01/12/11 01:22 PM Re: What are you reading? [Re: Sandy N.]
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Loc: Sanford, Florida
I hope you enjoy it! I thought the gal who played the older sister -- the sick one -- did a great job. She's the same gal who plays the oldest daughter on the TV show Medium.

#210662 - 01/26/11 12:21 AM Re: What are you reading? [Re: Sandpiper]
Betty Offline

Hi ladies - I just joined this forum and am thrilled to see some book recommendations. I'm an avid reader and will have to check out some of the recommendations. I just finished reading a self help book called "Fight Fat After Forty" by Pamela Peeke. It as great and explained alot about the changes our body goes through as we age. Loved it!

#210732 - 01/27/11 08:04 PM Re: What are you reading? [Re: Mountain Ash]
TheStoryLady Offline

Loc: Missouri
I read a lot of books!

While I do some fun fitness on the WiiFit, I am reading Think and Grow Rich again. Listening to the audio.

I'm also reading Key to Living the Law of Attraction by Jack Canfield, which has been recommended to me for a couple years. Finally getting around to reading it! I like how this book has places to write your dreams, plans and purpose.

I tried reading Bridge of Signs but after about a third through I was so bored I put it down.

For fiction, I'm just starting Girl with the Dragon Tatoo. Not really that engaging at the start IMO but we'll see.

The Help is on my list to read too.

Mountain Ash, I am also researching my family tree, and it is really interesting. You really GET that we're all related when you start seeing that you come from EVERYWHERE.

Ronda
#1 bestselling author, speaker, storyteller & mentor
changing the world one story at a time!
http://ProfitableStorytelling.com/amazon

#210810 - 01/31/11 08:26 PM Re: What are you reading? [Re: TheStoryLady]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Just finished Joyce's "Power Thoughts" and loved it. She has
authored something like 80 books; I have a few of 'em. The mind is a battlefield and our thoughts can make us or break us.
I'm glad I read this book. I believe her 12 Power Thoughts will be a huge help.

#210817 - 02/01/11 01:12 PM Re: What are you reading? [Re: jabber]
Mountain Ash Offline

"Mountain Ash, I am also researching my family tree, and it is really interesting. You really GET that we're all related when you start seeing that you come from EVERYWHERE."
Rhonda
I am deep in Antrim Glens in Northern Ireland at present.(Actually in mind but not body) it is difficult to research there from a distance so I have found a kindred spirit..who is obtaining the certificates I need to delve further.

finding signatures of ancestors on pledges that shaped that land...so so interesting.This part is leading to me planning a trip to the family place...and I am reading history and poetry of the times looking up photographs and maps...for me this is such a pleasure.

#210819 - 02/01/11 06:41 PM Re: What are you reading? [Re: TheStoryLady]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Hi Ronda, The Story Lady!

Welcome to the BWS forum. We are delighted to get to know you, and I've been enjoying your posts.

Just had to chime in about one of the books you mentioned, "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo." I got it, and the second book in the trilogy as Christmas presents from my son, and have now read both of them.

I DO agree that the book starts out slowly, but what is amazing to me was discovering that that 700+ page book is ONE-THIRD of a trilogy.

Essentially the story arc covers 2100 pages.

So he (author) does start out a bit slowly, as there is so much groundwork he has to lay.

Based on my opinion, but I will be interested in what others have found, the book is worth the effort to read.

And, you can stop at the end of that book, if you want. The ending is satisfactory enough. BUT the third book books picks up seconds after the second one ends.

so if you decide to read "The Girl Who Played with Fire" be warned that you will NOT WANT TO MISS "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest."

By the way, I am only one chapter into the third book, so I don't yet have any idea how it ends...

I've heard Nordic fiction is a bit dark. So I am hoping for a happy ending of some sort...

Edited by Anne Holmes (02/01/11 06:46 PM)
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#210835 - 02/02/11 06:55 PM Re: What are you reading? [Re: Anne Holmes]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
Just started "Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy: Times to Remember". So far, very good.

I so enjoy reading first person books.

Just finished Mary Higgins Clark, too. Just got introduced to her and really like her style! And they are set where I grew up!

#210844 - 02/03/11 02:43 AM Re: What are you reading? [Re: Di]
Sandy N. Offline

Loc: Washington State
I read a lot (too much?) and THE HELP is one of my favorite recent books. It presents a good snapshot of a certain place (Jackson, Mississippi) during a certain period of time (the Civil Rights movement) told from the point of view of the country club set. The story teaches while being entertaining. I'd recommend it.

Edited by Sandy N. (02/03/11 02:46 AM)

#210849 - 02/03/11 01:42 PM Re: What are you reading? [Re: Sandy N.]
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Loc: Sanford, Florida
Sandy, I agree. The Help was one of the best books I'd read in a while, I believe it was the author's first novel. Does anyone know if she's come out with another one yet?

Page 35 of 37 < 1 2 ... 33 34 35 36 37 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved