The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 135 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 16 of 37 < 1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 36 37 >
Topic Options
#195534 - 12/09/09 04:26 PM Re: What are you reading? [Re: gims]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Our library DOES keep a listing of all that we check out...so I don't think the privacy thing holds here. Wonder why others don't...hmmm.

If a doc can give you a prescription for a waterbed, why not a good book? LOL!

#195536 - 12/09/09 04:35 PM Re: What are you reading? [Re: jawjaw]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
...lol... true, JJ... I guess I need to keep reminding myself how I'm a more private person than most, esp. when it comes to my mental and emotional state. Those two words, (mental, emotional) were what stood out. The physical (a waterbed) wouldn't bather me. In fact, I'd run to my nearest bed store... maybe because I so need a new bed, a good one!

#195602 - 12/10/09 05:22 AM Re: What are you reading? [Re: gims]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Hi Dotsie, no I was not on that call, but I'll look for it. NABBW page? I haven't read this whole thread, but I want to add something. Libraries use the bar codes on your card, matched with the bar codes on their books. So isn't that a record? 10 years ago my therapist recommended a book to me that was an sensitive subject. The book was 26.00, so I wanted it from the library. I would not even ask where it was, did the search, due to the title giving away the topic (no, it was not sex addiction or STDs!) When I found the book, I did not take it off the shelf to check it out because it was just too sensitive a subject. I was too embarrassed to check it out. Following week, at the therapists, she had a present for me. She said, "book such and such was on the bargain table at BN", so she bought it for me! Now, I would not care if I checked it out. After all, it could be a research project. Do doctors prescribe waterbeds?

Edited by Princess Lenora (12/10/09 05:27 AM)

#195644 - 12/10/09 05:17 PM Re: What are you reading? [Re: Princess Lenora]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Amazon also keeps track of what you buy, then they send you emails for books that are similar that you might enjoy.

I was once in a book store doing research for a teleseminar I was doing. It landed me right next to all these weird sex books. There was a creepy guy eyeballing me while I searched. Ewwww, my heart began pounding when I realized what he was looking at. I fled the scene without getting my work done. I'm so intimidated by funky men. It goes back to when I was in the 5th grade and some man tried to coerce me into his car.

#195720 - 12/11/09 11:05 PM Re: What are you reading? [Re: Dotsie]
Saundra Offline

Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
LOOK AGAIN by Lisa Scottoline

When Ellen Gleeson gets a "Have You Seen This Child?" flyer in the mail, her heart stops - the child in the photo is identical to her adopted son, Will. Her every instinct tells her to deny the similarity between the boys, because she knows her adoption was lawful.

But she's a journalist and won't be able to stop thinking about the photo until she figures out the truth. She can't shake the question: if Will rightfully belongs to someone else, should she keep him or give him up?

She investigates, and when she digs too deep, she risks losing her own life - and that of the son she loves.

Note: I love this writer's books.
www.gotteethguide.com for your Free Tips

#195818 - 12/13/09 06:02 PM Re: What are you reading? [Re: Saundra]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Saundra, the story line sounds like something I'd enjoy. Do you pretty much read all books from favorite authors?

#195827 - 12/13/09 08:22 PM Re: What are you reading? [Re: Mountain Ash]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Originally Posted By: Mountain Ash
i respect your opinion...
if you read my post you will see that I did not share an opinion just a fact.That such notice existed.

What I see is that the asking the medic for the presciption may be the first time an issue is voiced.. and it is a respected view that the last remark as a patient has the hand on the handle of the door when exiting is often why they came to seek help in the first place.
It need not be emotional help..just practical advice I can think of several common ailments when a diagnosis has been made and the shared wisdom of others can suffice.

Didn't realize how this thread topic winded its way on other side topics in addition to one's current reading.

Public libraries, if they implement their policies properly, do take the issue of their patrons' personal info. as confidential quite seriously. So seriously that the (national) American Library Association had to take a strong public and defensive position that their patrons' reading list and personal info. was not immediately available to the police for investigation..I think the U.S. federal Terrorism Act enacted after 9/11, ignited this whole debate. Why? Because obviously what you read does not reflect your personal preferences or beliefs. One reads on a topic to be informed but not use the information to hurt others.

I think there were some situations where the a public library was challenged by the police to handover the info. on a client.

Princess,I would consider the library card...a record. It is record that has discrete identifiable pieces of info. on it: the name of the library that issued it and bar code which is like (but does not have the same legal weight) your government ID. It is a valuable record since one is held responsible for fines, etc.

As for storage of your reading preferences by the library system: most library software over the past few decades do have this feature, but many public libraries may not choose to activate the feature extensively or at all for several main reasons I can think of:

a) issues of personal information tied to reading preferences
b) technical problems & computer server memory required to store history reading list info. for thousands of library users
c) how many users would actually use this/know how to get into the feature? This latter feature believe it or not, is yet another feature to teach library users. Libraries are more focused and rightly so, on teaching people how to construct proper database searches across different types of databases that the library buys license plus its regular library in-house catalogue database.

Having said all of the above for public libraries: things are quite different for corporate libraries and some university libraries: since user group is small, usually adults and users are employees with/aligned with the parent organization, the user can be taught and does use some specialized database features to store their reading lists or store search keyword strings. Often software is designed so that only the user, not library, sees their search strings, reading lists, etc.

In response to what Mountain Ash's library was offering: Keep in mind the library is offering only self-help book/info. AFTER a client received diagnosis from doctor or psychologist.

I have developed and imposed specific service policy in training library staff, where they were trained that the librarian and any other library staff member, was not in the business of attempting to diagnose a: medical, psychiatric, legal or financial problem.

We tread a fine line between diagnosis of a problem (with legal/medical risks) and provision of info. But an experienced librarian does know when not to cross the line and instead make a referral to the client, to seek other trained professional help of a doctor, lawyer, accountant, engineer, etc.

#195988 - 12/16/09 12:27 AM Re: What are you reading? [Re: orchid]
Saundra Offline

Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
Dotsie, every time I find an author I like I am compelled to read all of their books. Most of the time it works out well and I have another favorite author. I love it when that happens. I hope my library continues to be funded so I can continue to read.
www.gotteethguide.com for your Free Tips

#196062 - 12/17/09 02:09 AM Re: What are you reading? [Re: Dotsie]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Dotsie, I don't think you revealed the close call in 5th grade before? That's enough of an episode to scare you. You had good instincts to get away?
I used to spend a lot of time in the public library on my way home from school. I would walk from school to the library, and hide. I was so shy I did not stay after school for drama, debate, etc. The library was a home converted. Maybe Di knows? She lived in the same town at the same time! Anyway, when I recall what I read at age 15 and 16, I think it shows what your passions are. What did you read as a teen? I just finished reading The Shack 2 x, once for the story line, another for the lessons.

#196071 - 12/17/09 03:06 AM Re: What are you reading? [Re: Princess Lenora]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Ha, I don't recall reading at age 15 and 16, other than what I had to read for school.

I've read The Shack once, but will definnitely go back and read it a second time. I devoured that book.

Page 16 of 37 < 1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 36 37 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved