The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 177 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#179512 - 04/07/09 03:34 PM Celtic Retreat
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I finally have the time to post a bit about my retreat. When I registered, I had no idea that it was a Celtic Journey. You can imagine that I thought of celtic and po quite a bit througout the week. It was lovely.

It was a daily life retreat which means that we had to commit to 30 minutes of reflection time each day of the week. It began in our chapel on a Tuesday evening with about 20 people in attendance. We began in prayer, introduced ourselves sharing what we hoped to accomplish throughout our week, listened to peacful music, lit candles and did some group prayer. I left feeling like a dish rag.

Each participant received a book with daily devotionals that were written for the retreat.

Each participant also agreed to meet with a spiritual advisor for one hour, twice during the week. I'd never met with a "spiritual advisor" so that piqued my interest.

The meetings were worthwhile and I'm considering continuing with the her to meet certain spiritual goals. She basically holds you accountable and suggests ways to meet those goals. She was an excellent listener.

The retreat was wrapped up with another meeting at the church, more prayer, music, candles, and everyone sharing how they benefited from the retreat. Hearing other's stories was most helpful and powerful.

Here's what I learned about the Celtic traditions of spirituality that I thought I'd share.

The Celtic soul yearns for all of creation to be filled with sacred presence. They believe we can look to creation just as we look to the Bible to receive God's word. His word, His beauty surrounds us. We need only open our eyes and give thanks.

They believe the visible and the invisible, the material and the spiritual are interwoven.

"Creation, all of nature, is often a "thin" place for us, where we touch and are touched by the Holy."

One yearns to have their ear on the heart of God, always listening for His spirit for guidance.

Listening deepens your relationship with God. Too often we are busy asking and telling, and never leaving time to listen. This is a great lesson to be learned from the Celts.

Because Celtic spirituality is tuned in with nature, it sees life moving and growing within the seasons. The scriputal verse that shares this beleif is the one that states, For everything there is a season, and a time for every purpose under heaven... Ecclesiastes 3: 1-8

Celts celebrate the ordinary, the simple, the everyday of all of life. There is always reason to celebrate when you don't separate the sacred from the secular. In all things they give thanks.

Celts weave prayer throughout their days. In thier rising, daily activities, working, playing, sleeping, etc. Prayer is within them and all about them. Thier connection to God is their reason for existance.

Celtic journeys are not made alone. The Celts are connected to the earth and all of humankind. It speaks of harmony, unity, inter-relationships, interdependence and craves community.

The feeling of connectedness; to one another and to the earth, and to all of humanity is personal, warm and welcoming.

The Celtic soul knows the connection among the Trinity, humankind, and all of creation. They embrace all of life, knowing everything is a gift from God.

My heart yearns for Celtic spirituality. It appears to be a most belssed way to live.

What I found most interesting is that I entered this retreat wanting to draw nearer to the heart of God. When I learned the Celtic traditions, I realized it was exactly what I was yearning for. To see God in everyone and everything must be a miraculous way of living. Talk about getting the most out of life - wow.

I worked on trying to touch base with God at every new activity, or person I encountered within my days. It's an incredible goal to reach for, but I've got to tell you, when we think God before beginning a conversation, or a new task, or a new email, or phone call, or an encounter of any kind, we are living in the spirit and it's powerful and most uplifting. I contnue to work at it, and boy do I needs God's help.

#179524 - 04/07/09 05:09 PM Re: Celtic Retreat [Re: Dotsie]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Thanks for sharing, Dotsie. In some ways, you described the monastic life of the Benedictine community I joined from Thursday last until Palm Sunday morning. www.tyburnconvent.org.uk

That "One yearns to have their ear on the heart of God, always listening for His spirit for guidance" is the purpose I go for my annual silent retreat in a monastic setting.

The cloisters is my "slice of heaven" on earth. I can find no other way to explain the peace that comes from a silent retreat with monastic nuns. My retreat was structured around deep contemplative prayer and liturgy (Morning Office, Mass, Mid-day Office, Vespers and Compline at set times).

There is perpetual Exposition and Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament at the Tyburn Chapel and the Vigil is always the highlight of my retreat as it is when I can have all the time in the world for personal prayers and reflections. Far from the distraction of all that is temporal. The community of nuns and retreatants come quietly into the Chapel at different times to keep watch. The Blessed Sacrament is never left alone as there is always someone sitting in prayer and adoration. The Eucharistic Adoration is one of the most marvellous experience of my faith. The extraordinary sanctity of this Presence has always led me to respond gratefully to the gift of Him who has given in exchange for my devotion an increase of faith, hope and charity in the spirit of opus Dei, which is the summit of my Christian life.

I left Tyburn on the morning of Palm Sunday. And, my silent retreat was very deep, beautiful and a great way to prepare for Holy Week. The Triduum starts on Holy Thursday, and as I reflect on what it means to me, there is a new quietness, a feeling of peace as I continue my spiritual journey into the deepest, most prayerful time of Lent.

#179721 - 04/09/09 08:21 AM Re: Celtic Retreat [Re: Lola]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Lola and Dotsie, I was carried away reading of your retreats. What a wonderful experience.

At our core is God/Goddess/Spirit. Throughout our daily life, however, so much padding is added that we often lose sight of the core. Attending a retreat gives one the opportunity to shed all the outer padding and discover (or rejoin, or strengthen) our inner spirituality, without the distractions of the mundane.

I'm really joyful for both of you, for this peace.

Poet and essayist

#179747 - 04/09/09 01:38 PM Re: Celtic Retreat [Re: meredithbead]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Lola, this sounds and looks amazing. I browsed the site and so wished the links for chanting and choir practice had sound. It so reminds me of my Catholic days. It's rather heartwarming to see that this still carries on.

Can you shed any light on how to have a hyper awareness of God's presence? Perhaps hyper isn't the best word, but I am always seeking a deeper awareness.

My spiritual advisor suggested meditating/praying "I desire to go deeper with you." The one day I did that, I had more of an awareness. I've done it on other mornings, but haven't as patient. I need to stay focused.

Celebrating this Holy Thursday with you in spirit!

Meredith, thinking of you during your holy time. If we could only live in retreat!

Good Friday, tomorrow, I will spend some time hiding out with God. I look forward to it. I recall Mom going to the Stations of the Cross on Good Friday and hanging out in church for a bit of time. Who knows, I may wander up to the Catholic church tomorrow.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved