The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 181 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#176938 - 03/13/09 02:09 PM Back From Cuba
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Well, Buenas Dias everyone! We just got back just after midnight...80F degrees yesterday, barely 14F (or -10C) this morning. We're still not home yet. Hubby is driving his brother and sister-in-law to Quebec City today, I'm in Montreal, we'll head home tomorrow.

Our time in Cuba was amazing. So much to tell...when we get back home, I'd love to share some of the stories here. Before we left in January, we had not been able to get much information on the area on Cuba we were going to, in terms of post-hurricane damage. So we weren't prepared for the extent of the devastation. Many of our friends' houses just disappeared, and any that were left behind had been damaged by flooding. So many people lost everything. Many of the roofs were caved in, but people are still living in the houses (the mosquito nets we brought were definitely a much-appreciated gift this year!)

It was so sad, especially since we hadn't come prepared for that level of neediness and could have brought so much more if we had known. We brought so much stuff, but it was like a drop in the bucket compared to what they needed.

But what was so amazing was the spirit of sharing that permeated the hotels. Most of the tourists are repeat tourists, people who keep coming back every year, not so much for the sun-and-sand, but to help the people. This year the weather was actually the worst we've ever seen, to the point where everyone was wishing we had brought winter coats. But despite the weather, so many people kept coming up to us, giving us bags of clothing and money and other stuff to distribute to the people who needed it. Many tourists went home with just the clothes on their backs. It was humbling and wonderful...truly amazing.

More to tell, but I'll leave it at that for now. Still acclimatizing...my head's still a bit scrambled...I've been totally immersed in Spanish for six weeks...hard to get my brain back this morning!

I'm REALLY glad to be back here at BWS - the Internet connection in Cuba is so unreliable - it took me 20 minutes just to check my email! And it was too expensive to indulge in spending any time at BWS while down there!!!)

As for being back home, I'm not sure how I feel...we really enjoyed our time with our friends there this year, and I miss them already. So much devastation and need, and yet so much generosity of love and friendship everywhere we went. Hubby and I both delighted in the depth of connection...we have a better social life there than we do here!

Anyway, I'm going to go and read through other topics and catch up with everyone.

Edited by Eagle Heart (03/13/09 02:11 PM)

(Maya Angelou)

#176944 - 03/13/09 03:15 PM Re: Back From Cuba [Re: Eagle Heart]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Buenas Dias, bonjour Eagle-Heart! smile I saw a travel show on Cuba. If it weren't for the disaster prone areas, Cuba looks like a good country to go cycling. It looks quite untouristy compared to other islands and relatively clean, even if more basic.

Guess it's true that there are still alot of older cars being used there?

When I saw the show, I couldn't help but think that after Fidel dies, things might change ...alot later. For reasons I can't explain but as I saw the images I kept on comparing it against China before China went onto its present post pseudo economic liberation of urban expansion...and now pollution.

Glad that you are enjoying Cuba as much as you have over the last few years, since things could change drastically in the next few decades.

#176948 - 03/13/09 04:19 PM Re: Back From Cuba [Re: orchid]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Thanks Orchid. We have the same feeling, about impending changes...while they will hopefully bring better employment possibilities and improve the lives of the Cubans, the changes will also bring side effects. Hopefully it won't spoil the the generosity-of-heart of the Cuban people which is what most tourists see as the real beauty of Cuba.

Cuba is still very much a 3rd-world country. Most of the people in the area where we go don't have running water, intermittent electricity, only the most basic of food staples (this year, since the hurricane, they can't even get bananas or potatoes until the new crops start yielding - everything was destroyed in the hurricane). The only meat most people there have access to is fish or chicken (and the chickens are quite scrawny, so not much meat on the bones!) Most of the Cubans we know eat rice, beans, tomatoes and fish. But I only know first-hand about the specific area we travel to.

You only see older cars...and it's amazing and mind-boggling how ingenious these people are at keeping those cars running! Our area had its annual festival while we were there in February. It was a trip back in time to see all the old cars cruising by. Gasoline is very expensive, and most people can't afford cars or gas, so many of these cars only come out on special occasions, like the festival. Most people travel by bicycle or foot, or hitch rides on the backs of trucks.

I think Cuba would be an amazing place for cycling...you could spend a couple of weeks cycling from hotel to hotel...I think there might be special cycling tours in place, but we've seen many tourists venture out on their own...fly into Havana and then make their own arrangements as they go (which can be risky at the height of the tourist season, since many of the hotels would be full).

(Maya Angelou)

#176954 - 03/13/09 05:25 PM Re: Back From Cuba [Re: Eagle Heart]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Just wanted to pop in and say welcome home, Eagle....you and hubby are such wonderful people to do this for the people there. God love you!

#176975 - 03/13/09 09:15 PM Re: Back From Cuba [Re: jawjaw]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
Hola Senora! Now our Boomer site is complete. Eagle heart is back!

Looking forward to reading about your stay. After such a long time, home sweet home will seem very quiet.

What a great idea to bring mosquito nets! Sounds like you got back as much as you gave. What a wonderful experience. And it is fantastic that you and your husband are so passionate about helping your Cuban friends. Can't wait to hear more!

#176982 - 03/13/09 09:55 PM Re: Back From Cuba [Re: Edelweiss3]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Hola, mi amiga!
A friend and I were just talking about Cuba, and wondering if we would like to go, once we are legally allowed entry and exit.

I am happy to see you back here, safe and sound and happy.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#176995 - 03/13/09 10:48 PM Re: Back From Cuba [Re: Anno]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
WELCOME HOME EAGLE HEART...
You were missed by us all.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#177015 - 03/14/09 12:19 AM Re: Back From Cuba [Re: chatty lady]
humlan Offline

Loc: Sweden
Hi there!!!

It´s been awhile since I have checked in here..and here you are!!!

I am sooo glad that your trip was productive and wonderful!!!

Lots of hugs!!!

#177059 - 03/14/09 02:00 PM Re: Back From Cuba [Re: humlan]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
good to have ya back eagle and can't waite to hear all your news.

#177372 - 03/17/09 07:59 AM Re: Back From Cuba [Re: celtic_flame]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
EagleHeart, you were greatly missed here but it was for the best of causes. It's really inspirational how you and your Hubby have taken these people into your hearts, and help them to the best of your ability. I'm looking forward to hearing your stories!

Poet and essayist

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved