The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 177 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#174216 - 02/10/09 04:35 PM Do you clear your "inbox," daily? How long on Comp
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
Many of us have businesses that involve email. I get messages from my agent and others in my field in my inbox.

I confess that I do not always clear my inbox daily and am late with some answers.

Do you clear your inbox daily? I was wondering how others manage this.

How long to do use your computer daily? I can stay on for about two hours a day before I am tired of it and go on to other things.

Dancer

"Question your privilege"

#174218 - 02/10/09 04:49 PM Re: Do you clear your "inbox," daily? How long on Comp [Re: dancer9]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
I'm on ALL the time. I check my Statcouter VERY often; emails VERY often; answer right away (or as soon as I can). Our computers never get shut down, except occasionally for updates. (we have Mac's so they never freeze up!)

We think it is SO important to have "service with a smile" like we had growing up. We, too, strive to be "transparent" and up front with customers with honesty, courtesy, helpfulness etc.

My computer and I are "attached at the hip" and we make a great team!

#174221 - 02/10/09 05:08 PM Re: Do you clear your "inbox," daily? How long on Comp [Re: Di]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
My main source of contact with my clients is email, so I am on frequently. I normally answer emails as quickly as possible, and ones that don't get resolved stay in my inbox as a sort of "to-do" list. Resolved emails are deleted so that I don't get overwhelmed.

K

#174234 - 02/10/09 06:51 PM Re: Do you clear your "inbox," daily? How long on Comp [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
E-mails which pertains to work get checked daily, printed out and filed together with all its attachments. Then the standard procedure is to delete for purposes of confidentiality and as a precaution when and if the system crashes. I do not revert to e-mails as and when it is received because the system at my firm automatically acknowledges receipt. I reply as and when necessary i.e. attachments have been read, agreed on consultation and amended. The computers I use for work is always on when I am at home.

#174236 - 02/10/09 06:58 PM Re: Do you clear your "inbox," daily? How long on Comp [Re: Lola]
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
Wow, that's a lot of computer use. Of course if your business is connected to the internet, it's understandable. Do you ever feel tied to the computer? When you go out, for example, do you take a lap top?

Dancer

"Question your privilege"

#174243 - 02/10/09 07:51 PM Re: Do you clear your "inbox," daily? How long on Comp [Re: dancer9]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
No lap top when I am gone. But cell phone on my person all the time.

We are not gone long enough to be out of touch. There is always a computer to check somewhere.

Tied to the computer? Yes. I don't mind....one HAS to be nowadays if they want to be successful.

#174262 - 02/10/09 10:53 PM Re: Do you clear your "inbox," daily? How long on Comp [Re: Di]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I get up make breakfast and eat then turn on my computer to check and reply to messages. I do this daily. At night the last thing I do is check my computer again for emails, blog comments, and stop in here at BSW, to see if theres any mischief afoot.

My computer stays on all day and I use it from time to time.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#174283 - 02/11/09 04:32 AM Re: Do you clear your "inbox," daily? How long on Comp [Re: chatty lady]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
I could live on the computer, there's so much to do. However, I don't turn it on before 2pm lunch, so in the morning I work uninterrupted on other things.

If I'm not out and about, I'm online an average of 4 hours a day, except May, November and December when I'm mostly making jewelry. One or 2 days a week I'm tweaking/updating websites.

I answer emails pretty quickly. Newsletters can sit in the inbox up to 2 weeks, then deleted.

Poet and essayist

#175357 - 02/21/09 04:35 PM Re: Do you clear your "inbox," daily? How long on Comp [Re: dancer9]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
I do clear my in-box..more regularily these days. Obviously to run one's own business or free-lance work, one must be prompt in answering emails. I think we're forgetting something here...the younger your customer base is, the more likely they might want timely response from you as a business person.

Frankly in witnessing my partner run his business..which he loves the whole cycling vibe anyway,..he brings his laptop on vacation and minimally, checks his email since email is also networking with groups and individuals related to one's own biz. However these days he's on the computer much more than usual....while he's doing his analysis and business plans....his email is on all the time while he's working. It must be this way, since he has 2 other people in his biz partnership.

I don't see it as a terrible thing, otherwise our phone would ring more often...which would be even more irritating when I'm home. There are some things best expressed in email to allow recipient to think abit before responding.

My computer/email is not on all the time. When I step out from home, I do log off and shut it down. I do not trust embedded virus and hackers via email, etc. So ie. when I go cycling today, I turn it off. Same for him, when he leaves home to do something, meaning more than getting something at the corner store.

#175359 - 02/21/09 05:10 PM Re: Do you clear your "inbox," daily? How long on Comp [Re: orchid]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
And when I'm on vacation without access to our laptop, I confess that I do use any available computer if at hotel where we're staying (many major national hotel chains offer a public computer for hotel guests with no-cost Internet connection) or go to public library if not far away, to manage my inbox via webmail...at least once a day if means are convenient.

It really helps during extended vacations, otherwise one is downloading over 100 emails in a few days, of which some is spam.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved