The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 175 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#175268 - 02/20/09 05:54 PM Accepting two teaching positions ~
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
No time like the present.
I've accepted two classes to teach with relation to the University.
To start slow, I've kept it to two.
I'll be teaching graduate jazz
and I threw in a beginning
ballet class that is taken, I'm told,
by mostly women who want to add dance to
their movement. I think that adult women can benefit from dance at any age so I took this second class to prove that.

This ought to beef up my schedule but I've arranged to teach only two days a week and this will allow me to stay at the hospital.

I feel I'm rehabilitated enough to do these ttwo small classes even if one is very advanced.

So, it's off to the salt mines for me. This usually leads to choreography and then to other states but I'm going to try to keep it in hand.

Dancers never retire. Thankfully, we are needed to build style in advanced dancers and coach for roles that are important which we have danced many times before.

There was a time I thought I'd be a "retired dancer," but it was never in my lifes plan. I did plan on giving back to dance as a teacher and choreographer for as long as my legs would let me!

Please wish a dancer luck as I continue to sing and think of going back up onto the stage with the jazz and blues greats I've sung with before. I just may sing again too, but slow as she goes....

Thanks to everyone here who talked to me and kept me entertained throughout rehabbing and while I took my time deciding when to do what. I feel a slight chill with this decision but it's true, I'll never stop. I'm told that I never should, I've too much to offer. I hope this is true as I launch this effort.

Dancer, singer too.

Edited by dancer9 (02/20/09 05:55 PM)

"Question your privilege"

#175393 - 02/22/09 07:27 AM Re: Accepting two teaching positions ~ [Re: dancer9]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Hey Dancer, good luck! Did someone in the university know of your work, or did you ask them?

Poet and essayist

#175417 - 02/22/09 05:37 PM Re: Accepting two teaching positions ~ [Re: meredithbead]
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
Thank you, Meredith! Someone noticed my post!
I'm known here and in many cities for my former work so if
I agree to teach, there is a position for me. With all my
stage work, I don't need any resume' or such, I can ride on that.

I used to have less time to teach when I was performing a lot but now I can teach with less on my back than before.

I'm glad to get back to my life's work though. Years and years of education not lost. I couldn't imagine what I'd do if I didn't dance or teach dance. Luckily, I can keep dancing as long as I can walk. I'm still young enough, actually, to perform, but I'm not ready for such a thing at this time. I may have to take a few photos for promotion but that is a bit in the future.

Menopause put me out of the ring for almost three years although I still danced for myself with friends. Now that my body is coming to it's usual shape, I can go back to work. It's nice and dit's exciting.

You'd be surprised who wants to dance in adult classes! So many women want beginner classes and always wanted to dance. I can usually get them twirling in no time and I only push technique in areas where they could get hurt. It's more about movement and what it can do for you to bond to music in that way.

Have you ever danced? I have this picture of you dancing at concerts!

Dancer9

"Question your privilege"

#175491 - 02/23/09 04:46 AM Re: Accepting two teaching positions ~ [Re: dancer9]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Dancer, I'm practically untrainable, but I love to dance! Yes, you've read the essay I wrote called "Purple Electric" in the "Our Voices" selection, and heard the rumors about Vegas LOL. Plus I sent you another of my essays. When I hear music I like, I just get up and move something (hopefully not heavy furniture crazy )

I used to dance at concerts, on table tops, in my living room, and at a zillion concerts and clubs. Not that anyone paid me, or would want to LOL.

Poet and essayist

#175492 - 02/23/09 05:20 AM Re: Accepting two teaching positions ~ [Re: meredithbead]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
I can attest to Meredith's dance skills - - she just loses herself in the music and flows wherever it takes her. She is very uninhibited - I am way too concerned about what others are thinking of my moves and wish I could be as free and easy as Meredith!

#175497 - 02/23/09 11:36 AM Re: Accepting two teaching positions ~ [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
Dancer, I’m sure you must be an excellent teacher, because you teach with passion. Congratulations to your new jobs!

I envy anyone who can dance well. I don’t know what happened to me, because both my parents were excellent dancers. When they took to the dance floor, the other dancers cleared it to watch them. The only person I can dance well with is my husband, who guides me with a strong firm hand. When I dance alone, I simply jiggle all there is to jiggle. lol

Meredith, too bad they didn’t take movies at Vegas. Would have loved to see you groove!

#175516 - 02/23/09 12:53 PM Re: Accepting two teaching positions ~ [Re: Edelweiss3]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
go0od to know about the jobs dancer and the best of luck too :)Dose this mean you'll be around less? bit sad about that one

good to know your in your flow MB. smile

i gonna have to read more of our voices sometime, (mental note to me)

#175537 - 02/23/09 05:07 PM Re: Accepting two teaching positions ~ [Re: celtic_flame]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I second what DD has to say about Meredith's dancing. You go girl!

dancer, I think it's fantastic that you will be teaching at a university. Will all your students be older women? If so, that's really neat. Artists are blessed in that after living a life absorbed in creativity, they can teach it, and so it carries on. Love it.

#175574 - 02/23/09 09:16 PM Re: Accepting two teaching positions ~ [Re: Dotsie]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
The students will be lucky to have you dancer...truly!!!

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#176287 - 03/04/09 06:56 PM Re: Accepting two teaching positions ~ [Re: chatty lady]
Sandpiper Offline

Loc: Kissimmee, Florida
Congratulations on the two classes Dancer. I'm happy for you. Also glad you're taking it slow and easy. Best of luck!
www.tidedancer.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved