The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 173 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#174792 - 02/16/09 01:32 PM Re: Orchid, I need a "starter bike." [Re: Dotsie]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
Originally Posted By: Dotsie
celtic, do you have a basket for carry8ing the ukulele?

lol NO but he could sit on his seat and theirs room for him to strum away....lol.
he has seneradied a wee ladie in a cafe, so he's certinly not bother with playing and going on back of bike.........sounds like a circus act in the making lol.

#174806 - 02/16/09 02:44 PM Re: Orchid, I need a "starter bike." [Re: orchid]
cyclinggal Offline

Loc: Arkansas
Orchid and others -- been away for awhile dealing with the devastating ice storm which hit Kentucky, Missouri and Arkansas on January 27. I was without power for 11 days. I was very fortunate because my insurance paid for everything. I still have two guys working to clean up my back yard. It is very sad to look at what it did to the woods in back of my home, but the home was not damaged and I am alive and well. Arkansas, along with the other states, has been declared a federal disaster area.

I agree with with all the comments Orchid has made about a "starter bike", the most important being the fit. If you are not happy with your bike when you are on it, you will not ride it very much. I started out with a hybrid and later upgraded to an ultra-light woman's road bike with 28 gears. IT FITS PERFECTLY AND IS A JOY TO RIDE. Take your time and you will find what you want.

Happy cycling.

#174809 - 02/16/09 02:51 PM Re: Orchid, I need a "starter bike." [Re: humlan]
cyclinggal Offline

Loc: Arkansas
Humlan and Dancer - I did not take up cycling until 5 years ago at age 62. A cyclist friend kept urging me to try it and so I bought a "hybrid" (a little heavier and with knobbier tires) for about $400. After a couple rides, I was hooked, and later bought a woman's road bike and started a bike group. Best thing I ever did. A lot of it has to do with attitude. If this is something you really want to do, go for it and look at it as another adventure in your life. You meet wonderful people cycling.

#174867 - 02/16/09 06:07 PM Re: Orchid, I need a "starter bike." [Re: cyclinggal]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
So there's still hope for all us us. That's fantastic. Did you ever think you'd have such a passion for cycling? What a dear friend to get you hooked on such a healthy activity!

#175064 - 02/18/09 05:14 PM Re: Orchid, I need a "starter bike." [Re: Dotsie]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
i had my first bike ride yesterday around my local park.

myself and L up and dowen the wooded park for an hour or so, in warm bright warm warm warm lol day. springs getting closer smile

almost time to take his stabilasiors off as he's now so fast they catapult him off his bike when cornering.

Anyone any tips on how to get him to ride a bike for first time with no stabilisers

#175071 - 02/18/09 05:25 PM Re: Orchid, I need a "starter bike." [Re: celtic_flame]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
We call them training wheels here. The only thing that worked for us was holding onto the back of the seat to keep the bike upright, while running beside. What fun. If you aren't in shape now, you will be by the time he learns to ride alone!

#175093 - 02/18/09 08:20 PM Re: Orchid, I need a "starter bike." [Re: Dotsie]
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
Orchid,
I love the example of the hybrid bike you gave! The price is right, it looks right for my city and I'm anxious to find one.

I will get on around the first of the month and post haste, start to ride. I do have some experience on a bike being an Arizonan but I don't know all the bike laws here. I'll have to learn as I go and do that downtown! We have fabuous bike trails here and they are very respected.. The cycling clubs around here are huge. I'm not sure I'm a joiner but I may do so.

My whole test is how much it hurts my arms which have spinal cord damage. I have some strength in them but they cannot gain strength. In other words, they have no way of impoving because it is cord damage and only stem cells can fit that. If it is within my ability to ride with my arms as they are, I'll be excited to be sure. I'm an athlete and never have enough of a work out.

Can you tell me how much arm strength is involved in cycling?

Dancer

"Question your privilege"

#175102 - 02/18/09 10:35 PM Re: Orchid, I need a "starter bike." [Re: dancer9]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Not much if riding on a nice flat, straight surface. Sometimes dancer I let go of my handlebars completely to open water or just let them hang at my sides or to stretch. Being a professional you are well ahead of most by having the one thing nneded to be a good biker, "strong legs." Its the legs that get most of the strain. What do you think Orchid?

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#175114 - 02/19/09 01:54 AM Re: Orchid, I need a "starter bike." [Re: chatty lady]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Cycling does build up your leg strength-- alot I would also strongly suggest that doing abdominal exercises and doing overall stretching exercises also is beneficial to keep muscles limber. A strong abdominal core set of muscles also helps for alot of sports, including cycling.

True cycling does not require strong hand and arm strength. As long as one is properly fitted on bike and arms, plus upper body not overstretched, it's a good start.

For certain cardiovascular improvement, physical stamina and lower blood pressure is a wonderful benefit of cycling also. One doesn't realize until one does other sports.

During the years of much more cycling, my blood pressure became quite low..enough to impress doctors.

That's great dancer, there are bike paths and routes in your city. It's a great way to get back on the bike without the stress of many cars close by.

Note: On my very first bike ride after not cycling for 12 years, I only went for less than 8 miles, on flat terrain. My thigh muscles were sore. But there after I became better and better.

I did cycle today..42 kms. Beautifully sunny and about 10 degrees F above freezing. We have no snow in our area.

#175116 - 02/19/09 02:02 AM Re: Orchid, I need a "starter bike." [Re: cyclinggal]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Originally Posted By: cyclinggal
Humlan and Dancer - I did not take up cycling until 5 years ago at age 62. A cyclist friend kept urging me to try it and so I bought a "hybrid" (a little heavier and with knobbier tires) for about $400. After a couple rides, I was hooked, and later bought a woman's road bike and started a bike group. Best thing I ever did. A lot of it has to do with attitude. If this is something you really want to do, go for it and look at it as another adventure in your life. You meet wonderful people cycling.

Cyclinggal hope the yard looks ok / repaired (?) by now. Did it get cold in Arkansas during power outtage? That's great to start up a riding group. So how often does your bike group ride? Are most people there in your age bracket.

I don't think I can have a bike with dropped down curved handlebars at this time in life..my neck would protest after a long while. People that one meets in cycling circles are usually a great bunch of people. Overall I find regular cyclists, men and women, they tend to be pragmatic but fun at heart people..leaning towards self-sufficiency and self-determination. There is something about being on the bike that encourages this type of behaviour.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved