The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 180 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#174217 - 02/10/09 04:40 PM Orchid, I need a "starter bike."
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
Hi Orchid and anyone who bikes,
I need a "starter bike." I want to start riding and I need to do it in the city. I live in the downtown area of my city and I'm not too far from biker hang outs. (The bike kind of biker hang out.)

Because I took damage to my arms and fingers, I need a simple kind of bike that I can navagate well and. I guess, practise getting used to riding in traffic and staying safe. I would buy another better bike after I learn to be comfortable on the first.

I thought of a moter cycle again but I really want some exercise out of this.

Is there a bike you can steer me to, or is there a type of bike you would recommend?

What do others ride if you are like me and not a "pro," like Orchid?

I live in a "no helmet," state as well. I want a safe bike for a rookie.

Thank you,

Dancer

"Question your privilege"

#174256 - 02/10/09 10:04 PM Re: Orchid, I need a "starter bike." [Re: dancer9]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
First off Dancer, to insure your safety ALWAYS WEAR A HELMET, no matter the size/height of a bike. I think possibly Orchid might agree with me and she is the expert. My DIL works for The Community Enrichment Program and has for 14 years now. Thats where head trauma patients go for therapy and she has seen hundreds of people with permanent brain damage due to bikeing accidents, falling off etc.

Place an ad in your local paper under WANTED: Bike, and the description. Those ads are usually free ads. I personally bought just a plain old fashioned 26 inch girls bike. I didn't want to have to fool around with all those gears on the newer models.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#174362 - 02/12/09 02:38 AM Re: Orchid, I need a "starter bike." [Re: chatty lady]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
What would be the real reason for not wearing a bike helmet, dancer?

Even the most experienced cyclist/racer/competitor has fallen off their bike. And many people I know personally who have fallen off, their helmet has touched the ground, when helmet on their head.

This the same advice I would give to any woman:

Make sure your bike fits you. The geometry of many bikes aren't oriented for women who have shorter arms than men, shorter torsos, etc. I would recommend renting a bike and helmet included for 1 hr. or when looking at bikes to buy, ask store to allow you to test ride up the block.

You need bike that puts you in a more upright position. A hybrid bike. Handlebar width should be the width of your shoulders. Have you ever ridden a bike with gears before? Ask a bike store. Each person needs a different sized bike, with an adjustable saddle/seat for height differences.

When seated still on bike, your foot should be able to touch the ground, with a slight bend in knee. I would recommend a hybrid bike. Not a mountain bike, most of the cheaper ones are too heavy and no point, unless you are bouncing around on off-road bumpy trails.

Keep us posted.

And chatty, how often have you gone out so far on your bike?

#174420 - 02/12/09 07:19 PM Re: Orchid, I need a "starter bike." [Re: orchid]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Orchid, I am proud to say I have been out everyday since I bought it except for four, that was due to heavy rains and wind.
Someone here in the resort is always riding so its more fun. I could actually sell my car and ride everywhere, large wide walkways, and everything I need is within five miles.

I have spoken to several residents here and plan to start a biking club to begin in April, called the PEDAL PUSHERS. I want to have shirts made for us too once its off the ground.

#174443 - 02/12/09 10:44 PM Re: Orchid, I need a "starter bike." [Re: chatty lady]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
chatty, love it. Great idea. I hope you follow through with your idea. Sounds like fun.

#174465 - 02/13/09 02:04 AM Re: Orchid, I need a "starter bike." [Re: Dotsie]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

It is amazing the amount of women (and men) interested. Lots of bikers in this resort. Most just have plain old bikes too, nothing fancy.

#174476 - 02/13/09 04:10 AM Re: Orchid, I need a "starter bike." [Re: chatty lady]
orchid Offline

Originally Posted By: chatty lady
I have spoken to several residents here and plan to start a biking club to begin in April, called the PEDAL PUSHERS. I want to have shirts made for us too once its off the ground.

Fabulous chatty. I'm sure you will end up going out further on bike..one tends to when sharing fun with others. Who knows maybe odd carpooling here and there. Save on gas cost..

I have an invite to bike with a couple younger women in a few weeks. The oldest is at least 1 decade younger than I. Others are even younger. We'll see when this gels together. I just don't know these gals. And I know 1 of them is a much stronger rider...and quite fit...she does jog half-marathons as well. blush She is 2 decades younger than I, nearly the age of my niece.

#174499 - 02/13/09 03:01 PM Re: Orchid, I need a "starter bike." [Re: orchid]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
i bough a bike after a chat with orcchid on heer last summer dancer and i still got it and it is a girls hybride, front suspension but not at back. I followed her advice and the first one i chose wase't right and good job i could return and exchange! despite a short trip around the block!

I didn't suspension at back as i needed to fit a child seat for lucien and can't fit them with back suspension. It was like sitting on air. However i am ok with not having back suspensiuon and also having a backe injury, (gears really help)

I did pay a little more for an aluminium frame and i can lift it off of the ground easily when needed.

try for one with a built in side stand or get one fitted, silly but it helps via convience. The gears need't be complicated and eaiy to get used to with a bit of practice...they make all the diffrense to how hard it is to ride...

oh a soft sadle, can buy updates or upgreades if you want. it saves on bike saddle burn and makes a diffrence when you first start or haven't been on it in a while....you know what i mean!

and id second the use a helmut (you rebel lol)...it feels great wind in haire and all but i make L weer his and its saved him too, especiallie him! who corners at 90 millon miles an hour on stabilisers!!!and tips !

let us know how you got on smile

#174513 - 02/13/09 05:38 PM Re: Orchid, I need a "starter bike." [Re: celtic_flame]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
orchid, I have an idea that you will be able to keep up with the younger set - and what a boost that must be!

celtic, do you have a basket for carry8ing the ukulele?

#174640 - 02/14/09 10:13 PM Re: Orchid, I need a "starter bike." [Re: Dotsie]
orchid Offline

That's great celtic. I agree buying and riding a bike that is made of lighter materials is helpful. And having gears truly can make a ride more enjoyable.

As for gear-fear....please get over this, ladies. If you can use all sort of computer software, sew a complicated piece of clothing, you can learn to use gears. Liberate yourself abit by making your life/body easier while you are biking.

Ask bike store when they allow you test ride a new bike, your relatives or another female cyclist that you may meet along the way. Just don't stop a female cyclist who is rolling along (this would annoy any goal-oriented cyclist that is cycling with a clear purpose) ..choose one who is just hanging out by a coffee shop or sitting down in park with her bike. You can tell how they are dressed, that they would know how to use their bike gears. You don't need to use the full range of gears. But be not afraid of switching gears 10-25 times during a 1-2 hr. ride. This is part of the secret to a more enjoyable and smoother ride without killing your knees or making yourself ready to collapse from exhaustion.

When I reach an intersection, I switch to an easier gear because when I need to restart on bike after stopping, I can pedal more smoothly and lightly in the start-up without grinding up with effort. Then as soon as you get past middle of road intersection, you switch to a higher gear to go faster rest of the way.

If you are overstretched on the bike, then the bike is too long/big for you. One should not also rock from side to side when cycling. A sign also that the bike is too bike for you. It is not good for one's hips/lower back.

I'm actually picky when I rent a bike or ride other people's bikes, simply because I am short and small, hence difficult to fit alot of average bikes out there.

A saddle that can be adjustable up and down is helpful. Also if the nose (front of saddle) can be adjusted for angle, ie. sometimes adjusting a tiny fraction with nose downward, will not make the seat hard on crotch.

Do not choose a saddle too wide nor a heavy saddle. All of this adds to the total weight of bike...and you will regret it if you do begin to use bike abit more often and want to go farther or up little hills. Saddles that are too wide, actually get in the way between the legs if you are riding for a while.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved