The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 127 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#172510 - 01/24/09 02:37 PM Get Back Up
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK

#172540 - 01/24/09 06:34 PM Re: Get Back Up [Re: Lola]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
thanks lola get back up indeed.

L came just as i was watching that so that made for an intresting conversasion, amazin young man is nick with his energy and spirite and god within him. glade he chose the path he did, it should lighten the load of many if taken appropriatlie.

#172609 - 01/25/09 08:38 AM Re: Get Back Up [Re: ]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Originally Posted By: Anne327
...but no one can thrive, despite their best efforts, without enough money to survive.

I beg to disagree, Anne. Many have. And, in some cases, in the course of their journey from nothing, their burden was lightened when they allowed others to help them carry it.

Nick Vujicic is Australian and enjoys all the benefits extended to disabled people by his government. I am also certain that, at one point in his life, he would have traded all that for arms and legs.

#172621 - 01/25/09 02:03 PM Re: Get Back Up [Re: Lola]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
(Edit: This post was a response to Lola's comments about how the journey, and allowing others to help us through the impossible times, does bring its own light and wisdom...in no way do my struggles even begin to compare to what this man has had to go through to survive and thrive.)

I went through a period of several weeks with no money. It was during my first major bout of clinical depression. Couldn't work, my unemployment benefits had run out, and although friends were trying to persuade me to apply for welfare, I just couldn't bring myself to phone...it seemed like the epitome of failure. There were two weeks when the only food I had in my mouse-infested apartment was a bottle of ketchup in the fridge. I had no money to buy anything else. To get to my doctor's appointments I had to walk over 10K there and back.

If it hadn't been for the help from people in my life, I would have starved to death. Louis made sure I had something to eat everyday, usually by inviting me for lunch. Kate often took me out for supper. My landlord, a friend of Louis (Louis was my parish priest and is still one of my best friends), waived the rent for one month.

Finally, one day Louis marched me into his office and handed me the phone and dialed the welfare office number himself and stood there with his arm around my shoulders while I made that phone call (sobbing). Within the hour, someone met me at my apartment and then gave me a cheque for groceries, rent money, a bus pass and hope.

The rest is history. It took me a very long time, but I got back up, and although there have been a few relapses and fallbacks, I keep getting up.

This period of my life taught me more than anything else that God does most of His work through the people in our lives. There is NO WAY that I could have survived without the amazing kindness and patient help of other people crutching me all along the way.

Edited by Eagle Heart (01/25/09 09:04 PM)

(Maya Angelou)

#172629 - 01/25/09 02:45 PM Re: Get Back Up [Re: Eagle Heart]
celtic_flame Offline

id have nuthing experinetial diffrent to add from what eagle said. When i stoped reciving help i became homless, yep honest to godness street homless at the wee age of 20-21 for about 4 or 5 mounths and it was in many ways the scarriest period of my life. I was also stranded in england with no way to scotland. I still had hope as it is easie to do when one is young, i still had health, well i wase't like i am now.

I think the loss of hope is something we can have control over, it lies within the attitude none of this is governed by genertics or abnything else.
Anyway after that very intense period i did make it hope, without havebn to prostitute myself or any of that nonsense, nor was i a drug addict, i slipped through the net after a bad bad relashionship which took all my strenth to break from alive (just in case anyone wonderring lol)

Iv humbled a lot while growing up and became more relistic that I can't do so much completlie on my owen. I also agree its god who speeks to me from within other people, sceans of butie trees, prayers meditasion, its just about me having ears to hear it.

I had hopoe, nickie has none that his arms or legs will grow thats a perment state for him, yet he has hope and good will in his hart.

I am not a strong enough person i think to trade places with him, my despare was transitorie, my sitasion was transitory, even my bleaker mindsets or attitudes at times all transitorie.

For first time in my adult life well since 21 or so i bough houses and worked hard, rented them out and slept two lots of 4 hours a day to maintaine those material things (worked the rest), probablie never to be homless again i was that afraid of it.

i am a stay at home mum, to maintaine that lifestyle i had to sell everything lol self worth is optional in this situasion smile. So for first in life i do not owen any house or flat, or even a car as cash is short but i probablie more garenteed of securitie now than ever before due to frendships i made and being brave enough to get helped out of a pickle when they arrive. Probablie the same for my mental health, life is good smile

bottom line nickes or my life no matter how much cash he may get from government or not or how much he may be earning with his motivasional chats or not. Mine is more easier and its nuthing to do with cash. I think cash pales into insignificanse when faced with overcomming his stuff and arriving at a postive place. Thats just my choice anything i face is transotory compared to him, for that i am gratfull.

#172630 - 01/25/09 02:48 PM Re: Get Back Up [Re: celtic_flame]
celtic_flame Offline

anyway i got draged heer by L who wanted to see N again. He's still getting his head around nickes disabilities but he's intreged about him anyway. Its good chats we are having and an education of sorts about people sensitivities will and attitudes.

we watched the other video's with nick in them too and i admire him and understand the degree of despaire and hoplesness he once had which makes me all the more joyfull for what he's achiving now.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved