The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 113 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#1708 - 02/02/03 03:41 PM Saying "YES" to offers of help!
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Several years ago after being in a car accident I had to let family and friends help me take care of my family. [Frown] I had been humbled and had to realize that I couldn't "do it all".

I didn't like the feeling! At the time I was a full time homemaker and took my job... oh so seriously. I mean come on, taking care of my family was what I did for a living!

Don't you know that in the midst of what I considered a tragedy I learned a lesson.

It was okay to let others help me. In fact...it was a healthy thing to do.

I don't know where I ever got the idea that I had to do it all and receiving help from others meant that I was weak.

I mention this because last night we kept our friend's three children so they could have a night out on the town. They said "yes" and allowed us a night to step back and do some things we hadn't done in a few years because their children are a little younger than ours.

I go to watch one of them play basketball in a gynm that I watched my son play in several years back and it felt so good! I got to carry a little one down the steps in my house, something else I hadn't done in many years.

My message is ladies...it's okay to let someone else help us out...we are not only giving ourselves a break...we are allowing others the opportunity to do something nice for someone else. Everyone is a winner!

#1709 - 03/12/03 04:57 AM Re: Saying "YES" to offers of help!
Candice Johnson Offline

Loc: Alexandria, VA
I was re-reading some of the old post that hadn't gotten responses and came across this one. The thing is, I don't like asking for help. Even with my own husband I feel like if I ask, then they feel obligated to say yes. I think I feel this way because most of the pople I know are the type that can never say no. I just don't feel right asking. It's not that I feel weak as much as I feel like I shouldn't burden someone else. Is this crazy?

#1710 - 03/12/03 04:19 PM Re: Saying "YES" to offers of help!
Kathryn Offline

Loc: Towson
In the past two weeks I have discovered that I can ask for help and it does not diminish me as a person. I don't know if it's pride or lack of faith and trust....but I never asked. I finally asked for lots of help from lots of people and was amazed and astonished that everyone was there for me, including my kids. It was a wonderful feeling.

And speaking of asking for help....I think it is time to seriously start planning a boomerwomen gathering. Anyone interested start posting. I'll even start scoping out venues. What do you say?

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved