The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 150 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#170617 - 01/09/09 11:27 PM Adrenal Fatigue
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
I'm starting a new thread on this because it's been discussed in a few other threads. I thought it would be helpful to myself and others if we could consolidate the information in one thread. I'm going to post some links, both to other websites and to other related posts here on BWS.

Feel free to add info, share experiences (maybe cut and paste from other discusstions), ask questions, etc. I'm not the expert, I'm just learning about this myself.

(Maya Angelou)

#170619 - 01/09/09 11:30 PM Re: Adrenal Fatigue [Re: Eagle Heart]
Eagle Heart Offline

This was Mama Red's post about Adrenal Fatigue in the thread Remembering Different Things for the Same Event

Originally Posted By: Mama Red
I don't know if this is true for you AND your second paragraph sounds like you're describing my days...there are days when I can go and go and go and then I crash, flat on my behind, and lifting my arms could be the most energetic thing I could do!

When I had tests done for my adrenals and D3 levels, the doctor said he was surprised I could function. My healer said the same thing...and told me there can be an interesting pattern to adrenal fatigue/exhaustion.

I learned that you can actually be both "hyper-adrenal" and "hypo-adrenal". You can pour it on sometimes, and be, as my family used to say "laid in lavender".

I've been this way for so many years that I didn't realize that what I was doing when I was abundantly energetic I was pushing my system, and hard, and then it would crash....it could only "kick it up" for so long before I crashed again. Then I would be flat on my back, apparently rebuild, then do it all over again.

Another odd one to me was that since my adrenals were so stressed, they actually kept producing at night because of a survival instinct. I was so low so frequently, that my adrenals "stayed on" to make sure I had the hormones just in case.

Because they stayed on during the night, I wasn't sleeping worth a crap!

It became a vicious cycle that became a bit more manageable when I started on adrenal supplements (followed by thyroid supplements after my adrenals were stronger), stopped giving in to my propensity for trying to get everything done when I felt strong and allowed myself to do a little bit at a time. Retraining myself has been, to say the least, interesting!

There are days I feel horrible for the DH since he is in better health. And I also know I'm learning how to NOT carry the sickness and sadness of others. I'm very prone to picking people and situations up and carrying them, which in turns wears me to a frazzle and leads to debilitating periods that cycle back in on themselves.

Years ago when a doctor recommended antidepressants I got really p****ed off and said "you'd be depressed too if you were living like this, not the other way around!"

Edited by Eagle Heart (01/09/09 11:33 PM)

(Maya Angelou)

#170621 - 01/09/09 11:38 PM Re: Adrenal Fatigue [Re: Eagle Heart]
Eagle Heart Offline

(Maya Angelou)

#170637 - 01/10/09 02:20 AM Re: Adrenal Fatigue [Re: Eagle Heart]
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
Originally Posted By: DJ

I have to say that most of my symptoms are gone --including asthma! I started with a cure for adrenal exhaustion, including a cure for h. pylori bacter which is a parasitic bacteria that lives in your stomach and probably led to the adrenal exhaustion but can potentially lead to stomach cancer and ulcers.

Then in July I took a blood test for "food toxicity". I guess it's similar to food allergies. They check for antibodies in your blood to see what foods your body treats as toxic then they give you a diet to follow. They rate the foods on a scale of 1 - 4, with 4 being the most toxic. I was amazed to find that foods that I shouldn't eat are eggs, black pepper, cane sugar, safflower oil, celery, radishes, and -- most of all -- yeast!

Besides the fact that my blood sees yeast as a toxin, I also had a huge amount of candida of my intestines. So for 10 days I had to avoid all the toxic foods, PLUS anything that makes yeast grow, which includes more yeast (i.e., breads, etc.), and almost all carbohydrates, like rice, oats, potatoes, fruit, and cows' milk products, etc. I grossed myself out by eating meat almost three times a day.

This is a quote from a post in 2002, when I was going through this. It's not the entire post, and I'm leaving this much because I think it pertains to adrenal fatigue...

#170638 - 01/10/09 02:34 AM Re: Adrenal Fatigue [Re: DJ]
DJ Offline

This was duplicated by mistake

Edited by DJ (01/10/09 09:57 PM)
Edit Reason: Duplicated by mistake

#170639 - 01/10/09 02:34 AM Re: Adrenal Fatigue [Re: DJ]
DJ Offline

Originally Posted By: DJ
Eagle,
I did all those tests too -- the ENT, increased my potassium by eating bananas, increased my water intake. I even had a dizziness test which is a horrible horrible experience. Because your balance has to do with the coordination between ears and eyes, they somehow connect your eyesight to a computer and squirt water into your ear. OMG it's sickening! They found nothing wrong. I think I only let them do it to one ear -- it was sooo awful.

I personally have made drastic dietary changes, but not just for adrenal fatigue. Most people wouldn't go so far, and probably don't have to.

One simple test you can do by yourself is shine a light into your eyes and remove it and see how quickly your pupils dilate. With adrenal fatigue, your pupils are more sluggish.

Anyway, I can tell you the most important lessons that my doc wanted me to do:
eat more protein, and do so frequently, like between meals. She told me to eat at like 10 a.m. and 2 or 3 p.m., and to have nuts and cheese. Warning: it's fattening, but it made the first big difference.

I was diagnosed 7 years ago and after a very little while, didn't feel dizzy.
My kids always thought it was hilarious how dizzy I was -- I mean, if they even touched the chair I was sitting in, I got dizzy.

Over the years, I've done a lot of reading about this and there seems to be some rather cutting edge medical science going on. For me, it turned out I was sensitive to manh of the foods I love and ate all the time, and it's a strange assortment -- celery, cane sugar, cow milk, eggs, kidney beans, black pepper are the worst so I pretty much avoid them. They say that when you eat something you're allergic to, your body doesn't process it so it escapes through the stomach walls and into the blood stream, your immune system attacks it as foreign substances, which stimulates your adrenal glands to produce cortisol in response to the stress.

Other kinds of stress can have the same effect.

Another important thing I learned about food is to vary it -- i.e., if you love something, it's oaky to have it 3 days in a row, but then give it a rest for a day or so. I used to eat celery in my salad every single day, and put black pepper on everything, and had a terrible sweet tooth. I still eat sugary things occasionally, but not cane sugar. I've switched to goat cheese and goat yogurt.

Other dietary changes I've made for other reasons are that I eat organic as much as possible.

Here's another post dealing with the subject, fyi

#170664 - 01/10/09 01:43 PM Re: Adrenal Fatigue [Re: DJ]
Eagle Heart Offline

Thank you so much, DJ, for cutting and pasting your earlier posts...and for going all the way back to 2002! For those of us with short memories, it's much easier to have all this information in one place than to go searching through other threads for it. I'm going to be referring to your experiences as I work to change my diet.

(Maya Angelou)

#170684 - 01/10/09 05:37 PM Re: Adrenal Fatigue [Re: Eagle Heart]
DJ Offline

May the force be with you, EH -- it takes a great deal of determination to change your diet. It might help to keep the idea of sacrifice in mind -- you give up something for something else much greater, as in, the coal sacrifices itself in becoming a diamond, or the acorn sacrifices itself in becoming the oak tree.

And you need people around you to be supportive. It's one of those things where you have to say to your loved ones, "no matter how much I beg, don't give me any (fill in the blank)." My kids simply like to call me "high maintenance" because of all the things I don't eat. But they don't give me credit for all the things I _do_ eat!

I'm in your support group if you need it, or if you want some feedback.

#170685 - 01/10/09 05:47 PM Re: Adrenal Fatigue [Re: DJ]
Eagle Heart Offline

Thanks DJ. Interesting choice of encouragement...may the force be with you...we've been watching my brother's collection of Star Wars movies. So far we've seen Parts I and II of the Prequel Trilogy, going to watch III tonight, and then next week start in on the older series. So "may the force be with you" is a timely echo here!

As far as the dietary changes go, I'm going to work on one change at a time. Right now, this week, we're permanently banning all white bread products. I did exactly what you suggested, told hubby that no matter how much I beg, he can't allow me to put white bread, white English muffins or any other white flour products in the shopping cart. He doesn't eat white bread, and the only reason we ever have any in the house is when guests come. So we bought some for Christmas, and just finished the last of the raisin bread (my particular weakness) last night.

So we'll start small. We're heading to the Caribbean soon for our winter escape and don't have as much control over what's served, but since all meals are buffet, I can pick only what fits my dietary vision. Our experience is that both of us feel much healthier when we're there, so perhaps the combination of sunlight, exercise and better fresh food choices (no pesticides) can help me pinpoint what I need to copy when we get back home!

I've also started exercising more, albeit with the Wii, but it's fun, and a good place to start...better than nothing.

(Maya Angelou)

#170687 - 01/10/09 06:35 PM Re: Adrenal Fatigue [Re: Eagle Heart]
DJ Offline

I can't wait to try a Wii one of these days. It looks like fun.

On one of my birthdays, they had just re-released Star Wars and Empire Strikes back and they were showing at the "historic Senator Theater" which you can even find online-- it was built in 1939 and is really cool art deco, original architecture, huge screen, so I took my two sons there with me because neither had ever seen either one on the big screen -- (nor had I because in 1979 I was in Italy for Star wars' release and after that I was too poor to go to movies).

In the Caribbean, I bet you'd be safe with beans and rice and seafood and vegies and fruit! mmmm. I've been to Jamaica, the Bahamas, St. Martin, Barbados, Caiman (what a bore), the Mexican coast and Puerto Rico. Where do you go? I love those beaches! That sea! Do you go snorkeling?

#170697 - 01/10/09 07:13 PM Re: Adrenal Fatigue [Re: DJ]
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
Thanks for providing this. The symptoms sound far too familar so I'll be talking to my doctor this month about it.

I have to see my doctor every month anyway to maintain my disease so it makes it easy to check other things!

Dancer

"Question your privilege"

#170719 - 01/10/09 11:19 PM Re: Adrenal Fatigue [Re: dancer9]
Eagle Heart Offline

DJ, I hope you get your Wii...Dell had a good bundle, the Wii console with Wii Fit. I'm loving that Wii Fit! Today I went slalom skiing, did some strength training, balance training and tried dodging balls and sneakers again! It sure makes exercising fun...I laugh so hard when those sneakers hit me smack in the face.

We go to Cuba. My husband's family has been going for almost 20 years. They've "adopted" a family/village there, so we go back every year to visit and bring things that we know they need. I only started going there in 2003, and sometimes find it overwhelming, because no matter how much we bring, it's never enough. These people are so beautiful, generous, kind and capable, but just don't have the basics. Many in the rural areas don't have running water, electricity, glass windows or mosquito-proof housing. Over the past year, the people in our village were the hardest hit by Hurricane Ike. Some of their roofs blew off, many lost their homes and won't be there when we visit next month. So the need will be even greater this year than ever before. But we can only do what we can...I wrote in my Spanish notebook last year (in Spanish) - "we can only do what we can - it has to be enough."

But it's not all mission. We spend plenty of time sitting around the pool, swimming in the ocean, walking the incredible white beaches under hot sunny skies and always enjoy playing cards/board games with other tourists. Many of the same tourists come back every year, so it's like a family reunion every year. In fact, I have more of a social network and friends there than I do here. So it's always a joy to get back there and visit everyone again.

(Maya Angelou)

#170721 - 01/10/09 11:25 PM Re: Adrenal Fatigue [Re: Eagle Heart]
Eagle Heart Offline

PS, to answer your question, I used to snorkel, but had a near-drowning several years ago; now panic makes me hyperventilate as soon as I try to go underwater with the mask & snorkel, even in three feet of water!!! I really tried last year, tried to talk myself through it, but it didn't work. We gave all our gear away last year, and didn't get around to buying new stuff, so won't be snorkelling this year.

(Maya Angelou)

#170801 - 01/11/09 02:36 PM Re: Adrenal Fatigue [Re: Eagle Heart]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Eagle, I don't want to hijack this topic and make it about the Caribbean because the information being shared is helpful, but I'd love to be a stowaway.

It might be neat if you begin a post about your Cuba trip and share the types of items you take along. I wouldn't mind jumping on your band wagon and sending you some things.

Okay, back to Adrenal Fatigue.

#170802 - 01/11/09 02:37 PM Re: Adrenal Fatigue [Re: Dotsie]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Question - if one cuts out white breads, don't you also need to cut out white rice, certain cereals, and what else?

#170803 - 01/11/09 02:37 PM Re: Adrenal Fatigue [Re: Dotsie]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Is it anything with white flour?

#170808 - 01/11/09 02:50 PM Re: Adrenal Fatigue [Re: Dotsie]
Eagle Heart Offline

Originally Posted By: Dotsie
Question - if one cuts out white breads, don't you also need to cut out white rice, certain cereals, and what else?

Originally Posted By: Dotsie
Is it anything with white flour?

Dotsie, Christiane Northrup talks about removing all the white stuff from our diets in her book "The Wisdom of Menopause". I don't remember what she said though, so will reread and post what I find here. It will be later today, unless others can answer with more expertise than I can right now. I know there's a lot of good information out there about the why of eliminating white flour from our diets.

Here at home, we've done well at replacing white bread and white pasta with whole or multi-grain choices (except when houseguests come, but now we've decided we're not catering to any more white flour diets...they'll just have to eat what's here.) But we haven't found a brown rice that hubby likes, so haven't changed that one - yet. I'm not sure if white rice is on the same level as white flour products.

(Maya Angelou)

#170954 - 01/12/09 01:40 PM Re: Adrenal Fatigue [Re: Eagle Heart]
browser57 Offline

Loc: Michigan

Suzanne Summers has a wealth of information in many of her books. She takes a lot of flack over it but she does her research and walks the walk. The main stream medical profession is totally against her - but, bio-identical hormones won't make the pharmaceutical industry $$$. I have done her 'diet' and was successful - but it is very different from the mainstream way of dieting. More along the lines of food combining from back in the 80's. She has a new book out 'Breakthrough' - haven't read it yet, but her one prior to this 'The Sexy Years' is great. Her info on adrenal burnout is extensive.

#170975 - 01/12/09 05:57 PM Re: Adrenal Fatigue [Re: browser57]
Eagle Heart Offline

Here's a simplistic explanation of the "No White Foods" diet. I haven't had time to dig out excerpts from Northrup's book, she explains the white food issue from a menopausal perspective. I'll continue to research, but this is a basic place to start:

http://ezinearticles.com/?The-No-White-Foods-Diet&id=160033

(Maya Angelou)

#171039 - 01/13/09 12:58 AM Re: Adrenal Fatigue [Re: DJ]
browser57 Offline

Loc: Michigan
Here is a link to an article in Dr. Northrup's newsletter regarding adrenal fatigue.

http://www.drnorthrup.com/womenshealth/healthcenter/topic_details.php?topic_id=94

#171058 - 01/13/09 03:10 AM Re: Adrenal Fatigue [Re: browser57]
Eagle Heart Offline

Browser, that's an awesome article! I printed it off to add to my folder (some of which I'm leaving for my doctor tomorrow).

I apologize, I still haven't been able to dig into my book to find some of Northrup's excerpts about white foods. Tomorrow's another busy day, but I'll try to find at least one by this time tomorrow night.

(Maya Angelou)

#171148 - 01/13/09 11:25 PM Re: Adrenal Fatigue [Re: Eagle Heart]
Eagle Heart Offline

After re-reading most of Northrup's book (Wisdom of Menopause) and then delving further into the site that Browser gave us the link to, I found the same information on Northrup's website. I tried to copy and paste, but it's not coming through. Hopefully the link will work. If not I'll cut and paste it in smaller doses!

Here's the link: http://www.drnorthrup.com/womenshealth/healthcenter/topic_details.php?topic_id=88

(Maya Angelou)

#171459 - 01/15/09 06:57 PM Re: Adrenal Fatigue [Re: browser57]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Thanks for posting the links girls. I hope to have time later to check them out.

#179193 - 04/04/09 11:38 AM Re: Adrenal Fatigue [Re: browser57]
DJ Offline

Chatty -- check this thread out, since you're again bringing up Adrenal Fatigue.

#179254 - 04/05/09 12:43 AM Re: Adrenal Fatigue [Re: DJ]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Oops, I guess I missed this one.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved