The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 115 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#170579 - 01/09/09 06:45 PM Politics of dressing and Michelle Obama
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
Michelle Obama starts her trends now...
Every first lady has had her effect on dressing from Jackies pill box hats to Barbara Bushes pearls!

Michelle Obama is dressing from American stores and using American desighners. Jackie Kennedy started her run as first lady dressing in French designer wear. This did not go over well so her father in law made a deal with her so she could continue to dress as she liked but using Ameican designers. He provided her an allotment for clothing and she found French styles she enjoyed and hired an American designer to re-produce those clothes.

Michelle Obama kicked off her statement by wearing a 145.00 dress on "The Voice." It was, by far, the least expensive dress for a woman in her place in many, many years and she made headlines. She wore a dress from the store Black/White.

since then, Michelle has admitted to and worn clothing from J.Crew, the Gap and many less expensive Amercian stores. She is setting a trend that is welcome.

Michelle Obamas idea of dressing is to not let the dress wear her. She shops for the way the dress suits her, not by the designer or price. She appears in very different sytle dresses made by new American designers with lower prices and again, the lower priced American Stores.

She is bringing back dressing for yourself, for what works for you, and not for what the designers put out for her.

Hillary Clinton, for almost her entire career in the White House was dressed by Donna Karen, black label. Donna Karan makes a high line that is expensive as well as lower lines more affordable. Hillary wore specially fit clothing by Karan from her high end label. Her pant suits were almost entirely Donna Karan who stayed at the White House and enjoyed a friendship with Hillary.

Michelle Obama has not "married," a designer or two. She shops for herself and she shops for what works, not for what is expected. This is understandable when we look at the financial state of our country. If Michelle dressed like, for example, Nancy Reagan, she would be over the top in what she spends on clothing. Even Donna Karan who is excellent would appear over the top in this time in our country.

Michelle just might bring induvidual style back into fashion and creative dressing at it's finest. If we shop designer and less expensive clothing and put them together we are creating our own "look," and it looks best on us. Hopefully she will contiune to set this example and if so, no one will be able to pick out her exact sytle and cause a national trend for Washington and the whole country.

What do you think of Michelle Obama's dressing thus far? It is definately not as high end as our other First ladies in waiting and it is decidedly different than anyone.

I feel she has managed not to dress too young for her age but still maintains a modern look and one that is hers alone. We all can follow this example by shopping in stores and putting together our own looks without the pattern that the designer asks us to follow if we shope from the same store or line.

What say you?

Dancer, still watching the fashion....

"Question your privilege"

#170584 - 01/09/09 07:00 PM Re: Politics of dressing and Michelle Obama [Re: dancer9]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I haven't paid much attention, but I like what you've written about her, and I will pay more attention going forward. My hope is that a year from now, she's still shopping at Gap and White House/Black Market,etc. It makes her more like the rest of us and I admire that.

I think her girls are adorable. I hope they stay as cute and innocent while they're Dad's in office. While I enjoy seeing them, I think their parents are wise to keep them from the media as much as possible. I'm surprised soemone didn't get a group beach shot (bathing suits and all) when they were vacationing in Hawaii.

#170598 - 01/09/09 09:32 PM Re: Politics of dressing and Michelle Obama [Re: Dotsie]
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
The Obamas have some of the BEST advise from the BEST in publicity that there is avaliable. Everyone needs a person to handle their PR when they are in the public eye. Some entertainers with less money count on their agent.

The Obamas are using one of the best firms there is for advise.

Dotsie, in your career, you probably use yourself as a publicity adviser. If you should hire a professional to do it for you, you would be known very well for what you do in just a couple days in some cases.

Dancer

Edited by dancer9 (01/09/09 09:33 PM)

"Question your privilege"

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved