The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 177 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#170981 - 01/12/09 06:13 PM Re: Severe Vertigo [Re: chatty lady]
SolarGoddess Offline

Hi Everyone,

I am new here, this is my first post. I am trying to go through and read everything I can before I say anything...so bear with me.

I don't have any medical issues but I have a friend who does. She will not take my advice, which I feel pretty sure could help her because she says I am not a doctor. And she has a damn good point there. lol

But the problem is that she has lost almost 50 pounds in the last 4 months and I am very worried about her. She is 58, I'm 53, and her dr has diagnosed her with GERDS.

I did managed to convince her to stop taking Plavix but not before she completely lost her sense of taste. Has any1 ever heard of that before?

I know this is not normal - I just need to know if it is common among people who take Plavix.

SolarGoddess
http://health.6millionrich.com

#170982 - 01/12/09 06:18 PM Re: Severe Vertigo [Re: SolarGoddess]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Welcome aboard.

Sorry, but I don't have an answer. Hopefully soemone else will. Hang in there...

Fifty pounds in four months is incredible. I hope she's well. Is she trying to lose weight?

Edited by Dotsie (01/12/09 06:18 PM)

#170996 - 01/12/09 07:13 PM Re: Severe Vertigo [Re: Dotsie]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Welcome Solar Goddess.

I would say something's not right there. I've had GERD for years, and even at its worst it didn't have that effect on my weight. Last year while in Cuba, the GERD was particularly severe, and despite throwing up almost every day for a couple of weeks, I hardly lost any weight.

And I've never heard of the loss of taste except by smokers or mouth-specific problems (though constant vomiting may have an effect). But I'm no expert in any of this. What about a second opinion? Any other symptoms? Just a curious question: any noticeable swelling of lymph nodes, like in the neck/under armpits, etc)? I'd be interested in hearing other symptoms involved.

(Maya Angelou)

#171000 - 01/12/09 07:29 PM Re: Severe Vertigo [Re: Eagle Heart]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Welcome SG!

I looked up Plavix, and it's not for GERD, it's for blood clotting issues. I would not recommend someone stop that type of medication without a doctor's opinion.

"Plavix is used to prevent blood clots after a recent heart attack or stroke, and in people with certain disorders of the heart or blood vessels."

However I did find this story about mixing Plavix with Heartburn drugs, which she might be taking because of the GERD:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,450591,00.html?sPage=fnc/health/acidreflux

Maybe she's losing weight because of the GERDS, if she doesn't feel like eating? If she's not trying to lose weight, then I think a doctor visit is in order. That much weight loss over such a short time needs to be checked out. Plus, the issues with Plavix and other medicines.

Good luck!!

K

#171033 - 01/13/09 12:18 AM Re: Severe Vertigo [Re: ]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I can tell when I have overdone it with sugar because I get very dizzy. I take a pill and it goes away. Being dizzy doesn't hurt but the sensation is very hard to handle.

Is your friend trying to lose weight? Its easy to lose 50 or so pounds if very obese with lots to lose. How does she feel health wise?

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#171494 - 01/15/09 11:03 PM Re: Severe Vertigo [Re: chatty lady]
SolarGoddess Offline

Thanks for the help, guys.

She has seen about 10 doctors in the last 6 months. All she knows for certain is that she has the GERD because it wakes her up and she is not sleeping well. But yes, the weightloss is what is most concerning. At 58 that can't be good.

She wasn't trying to lose weight, it has just happened over the past 4 months and she says its only 40 pounds.

All I know is that she looks like a stick figure these days. I don't know what to say to help her. She is my friend and roommate and I am ready to move but I can't leave as long as she is not well.

She has started taking the Plavix again because her doctor told her that she could have a heart attack without it. And she takes Lipitor every day.

Personally, all these dam pills just make me angry! No one should have to live like that. And they all just got prescribed between Aug and Dec last year. Before that she hardly took an aspirin.

I was hoping for some suggestions of questions she should ask her doctor.

SolarGoddess

#171497 - 01/15/09 11:10 PM Re: Severe Vertigo [Re: SolarGoddess]
SolarGoddess Offline

Thanks Eagle Heart, She was born with very mild Down's Syndrome and she can take care of herself and manage her affairs - but she is kinda' naive, in a sense.

She has never smoked or drank in the 20 years I have known her. She has had no lymph node swelling in the last few years. She would certainly have mentioned that.

She just lost her ability to taste anything, out of the blue. But only after taking Plavix and Lipitor for that 4 months.

I don't remember her ever having this GERDS before the Plavix and Lipitor either. She says she did but it was never a big deal like it is now.

Its like watching someone slowly die right in front of you and I have always had a distrust of doctors, anyway - while she believes they all want whats best for her. I just can't see that being the case.

#171547 - 01/16/09 03:34 PM Re: Severe Vertigo [Re: SolarGoddess]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Has she had any diagnostic testing? I think that's imperative.

#171665 - 01/17/09 09:33 AM Re: Severe Vertigo [Re: Dotsie]
SolarGoddess Offline

She had some test done today, I haven't had a chance to talk to her since then, tho.

She is eating a lot better. I fixed breakfast for e1 this morning and I slid her the same amount of food I had on my plate and she ate it all. (lol) I think she's eating better - but she won't admit to that.

I'm starting to think that some of this may be manufactured because she doesn't want me to move.

Except the weight loss I'm sure wasn't on purpose.

#171667 - 01/17/09 11:38 AM Re: Severe Vertigo [Re: SolarGoddess]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Will be curious to hear the test results. Who will be with her once you are gone, and has she always lived with someone?

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved