The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 137 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#167835 - 12/16/08 04:05 PM Re: Hair issues? [Re: dancer9]
Mama Red Offline

Loc: Wauconda, IL
I've had short to medium-short hair for many years, it is naturally straight, thick and fine...and I have colored it forever and a day, mostly on my own. I used to get it permed 'cuz it drove me crazy messing without. However, I've found styles (and hairdressers!) who are working with those characteristics now, so the perms are a thing of the past.

About 2.5 years ago I was going through some "stuff" (gee, what a surprise MR going through drama? Now however could that happen? Grin) and my hairdresser asked if I would like for her to color it...and I LOVED it. In working with this person, I got turned on to Aveda products and have loved them ever since. When I decided they were too expensive, I bought several other products trying to duplicate the results...and ended up going back to the Aveda ... in the long run it was actually less expensive.

I was amazed to have my color last 10-12 weeks using the Aveda color...I had never had ANY color last that long and still look decent. Now, I 'preferred' to color it more frequently and that wasn't in the budget.

Every Aveda product I've tried has been superior and has lasted ages because it has taken so little product to get the desired results.

For the moment, I'm back to coloring my hair on my own (and remembering why I LOVE to have it done...not sure my landlord will like the red stain on the bathroom cabinet where I dripped!)AND I'm using the Aveda products.

Dancer...any knowledge of these?

MamaRed (Jerilynne)
www.mamaredspeaks.com
www.onemillionacts.com
Coming Summer 2009 "Kick-Butt Kindness: 52 No Cost Ways to Ripple Kindness 'Round the World"

Let's create Kick-Butt-and-Take-Names Lives!

#167854 - 12/16/08 08:53 PM Re: Hair issues? [Re: dancer9]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
My goodness dancer you are a fountain of expert information. As with my skin, I suffer NO hair dryness, but I believe it is due to the EV olive oil I use for everything in cooking, salads etc.

I have a brownish blonde hair so all I do is have it tipped or lightly frosted every six months or so, that way NO chemicals touch my scalp ever.

Even though I love seeing long hair I keep mine very short, also straight and so easy to manage, and with my schedule thats a definite plus. And lets face it, when we're cute, we're cute, no matter how long or short our hair is, right?

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#167863 - 12/16/08 10:03 PM Re: Hair issues? [Re: chatty lady]
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
Yes, Mama Red, I mentioned Aveda products in my post. It depends what kind of hair you have and where you live when it comes to some of their products. Their leave in conditioner, for example, can make hair greasy and flat or if you have VERY curly hair, it can be a life saver! Their colour is good, yes, but you must get it at a salon and their shampoos formulated to infuse colour between shampoos are helpful, esp. for red hair.

Aveda started as a one man company and he set his salon up with his products in Minnesota. He branched out with more salons and when he got big enough his products became for sale in other salons.

If a salon uses Aveda products, like colour, they are likely to be highly trained and trained in the Aveda way. They do cut hair where it lands best and try to work with the natural hair that you have. It's a natural company.

Again, Mama Red, store bought colour has metals in it that build up. You may like the Aveda colour better because it is way better for your hair.

All their products are good, they are, again, invented by a hairdresser who was very talented.

Dancer

"Question your privilege"

#167871 - 12/17/08 01:53 AM Re: Hair issues? [Re: dancer9]
CalicoKate Offline

Loc: Colorado
Dancer, thank you so much for these links. Lots to explore, decisions to make.

We do have an Aveda salon here--I've had my hair colored there a couple of times. So I will probably begin there with their Smooth Infusion products. They sound like they would work with my hair type.

As Chatty Lady said--you are a fountain of expert information. I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say we all appreciate all of the tips and info and your knowledge of the care of hair.

- If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.

#167872 - 12/17/08 01:57 AM Re: Hair issues? [Re: chatty lady]
CalicoKate Offline

Chatty Lady, I also keep my hair short. But I'm hoping with the products that Dancer has recommended that I'll be able to control the frizz and maybe let my hair grow out a little.

My problem is that once it gets to a certain length I get tired of trying to get all of the layers to grow out and I cut it off again. blush

#167892 - 12/17/08 10:54 AM Re: Hair issues? [Re: CalicoKate]
Mama Red Offline

Loc: Wauconda, IL
Hi Dancer!

Thanks for the information...wow, you sure do know a bunch about this stuff! Thanks for being so willing to share with us...I apologize that I missed the Aveda reference...OOPS!

One of my incentives to keep learning about the business of speaking is so I can go back to my Aveda salon for color...getting my hair done is one of my favorite ways to pamper me...along with a relaxing pedicure.

I do continue to get it cut at an Aveda salon and color is next! Figured I should be fiscally responsible since my hubbie has been so supportive of me taking training, etc.! AND I really DON'T want to be a "good girl"...giggle!

Thanks again for sharing so much of you!

Edited by Mama Red (12/17/08 12:39 PM)

MamaRed (Jerilynne)
www.mamaredspeaks.com
www.onemillionacts.com
Coming Summer 2009 "Kick-Butt Kindness: 52 No Cost Ways to Ripple Kindness 'Round the World"

Let's create Kick-Butt-and-Take-Names Lives!

#167968 - 12/17/08 09:50 PM Re: Hair issues? [Re: Mama Red]
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
I'm flattered that you like my posts. I'm happy to help.
Of course, pampering yourself at a salon I think is VERY important and should be the last thing to go!
The French go to salons sometimes daily to get their hair done! If only we all could afford to do that!

Mama red, the aveda colour is great for your hair, that in the salon is some of the best reds that are made! Their shampoo to support their color, esp. red, is nice too! I'm glad you take good care of yourself, you should, we are all worth it!

Peg, you are very welcome. If you use the oil, and if you get you hair cut about every six to eight weeks, they can work those layers in so they can grow out with minimum hassles. They CAN be a pain, I know. Patience,and product, as I like to say. I just got done growing my hair out myself and the bangs were the hardest part. I had my hairdresser blend them often so I could live with them.

What is your hairstyle, Peg, and how would you like it?

Dancer

"Question your privilege"

#168024 - 12/18/08 02:57 AM Re: Hair issues? [Re: dancer9]
CalicoKate Offline

Today we had our annual department Pot Luck. I looked liked the oldest one there (I'm sure just in mind) even tho I'm much younger than at least 2 of the women there. I think it's because I've decided to let my hair go "naturally gray". I was so depressed. It just seems that the gray wants to stick up and not conform to any sort of styling.

I had a perm about a year ago that totally fried my hair and my stylist had me promise that I'd never get a perm again. And I have to agree with her. Years ago, before the gray, my hair took perms easily and I loved the easy care I had then.

At this point I don't know what to do. I am going to my Aveda Salon and get the Smooth Infusion products to see if that helps my hair issues.

Dancer I just totally appreciate your helpful hints and product recommendations. I'm not sure if you are in my age group-just turned 55 on Monday--I really appreciate the insight you have regarding all things HAIR! whistle

#168683 - 12/23/08 06:21 PM Re: Hair issues? [Re: dancer9]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
The Chi product I did buy seemed to help. I just order Chi Oil
today. I was so impressed with the first product, I'm going to try the oil. Thanks so much for the tip!

Edited by jabber (12/27/08 02:08 PM)

#169180 - 12/28/08 03:33 PM Re: Hair issues? [Re: jabber]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
I used the Chi Oil on my hair last night. I like the way it
makes my hair look and feel. Thanks again!

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved