The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 122 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#166106 - 11/21/08 03:22 AM Re: A question for you published authors [Re: Princess Lenora]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Yes, to add to Meredith's advice, which I would take in a heartbeat considering that she is eloquent as well, I will add that you can find on-line writing critique circles. Sure, face time is nice, but not always feasible. I think there was once a critique group here. I facilitated a writer's group in my home. Only I forbid the word "critique" and we called it "evaluations."
Also EW read the type of book you are writing. What is your genre? If it's memoir, read memoir, if it's fantasy, read fantasy. Come to the states and go to the Vermont College Writer's Conference with me!

#166116 - 11/21/08 08:49 AM Re: A question for you published authors [Re: Princess Lenora]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
I'm so glad I asked this question. I knew my Boomer friends are a fountain of knowledge.

Meredith, I would drive over two hours to get to a writers critique group; but so far I haven't found an English speaking one. And since my book is in English…. I've even considered starting one…but what if I'm the only one there?!

Lynn, I would just LOVE to go with you to the Vermont writing class. I have been thinking of joining a writer's camp. I keep getting ads from one in Colorado. Has anyone ever participated in something like that? They aren't cheap. I wonder if it's worth it. Oh, and what IS the difference between lay down and lie down? Wow, I was impressed that you could trim your book like that. That must have been like cutting off an arm.

It is hard to find a genre for my book. It has a little of everything; love, crime, suspense, and I hope it is even funny in some parts. So I've been calling it a contemporary novel. ..? Would that be right?

I found it comforting to read that you all have reread your books many times, had them edited, and still find mistakes. I thought…maybe I'm just not talented enough…cause this ain't easy.

I love the story about Picasso, Lynn. Yes, I think every author and artist can relate to that.

#166160 - 11/21/08 08:59 PM Re: A question for you published authors [Re: Edelweiss3]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
EW, my pleasure to contribute to your creative juices. You might browse through amazon to find other books like yours. Your first category is fiction. You mention "love" is it romance, you mention crime, is it true crime? you mention suspense, is it a thriller? And what makes it contemporary? Do you have dialogue? What is the plot and theme? That might help determine sub categories of genre. I revise my "might browse" wording: you really have to browse amazon or some sort of book seller. As for writer's conferences, I went to this: Vermont College Post graduate Writer's Conference, summer 2005. It was worth every penny. It was 10 days of reading, writing, learning, and being with others who love to write. My faculty leader was Sue William Silverman in the "creative non-fiction" group. Sue wanted to recommend me for the MFA, and I said I could not afford it. Then, I spent all my money investing in the real estate business. What conference is in Colorado? I don't even know.

#166212 - 11/22/08 04:01 PM Re: A question for you published authors [Re: Princess Lenora]
Sandpiper Offline

Loc: Kissimmee, Florida
EW it sounds like your book might fit into the mainstream novel category. They are a little bit of everything.

I understand about finding errors when you think you are finished. I just read through the proof of my book and found two misspellings, and three grammer errors. This manuscript has been gone over with a fine tooth comb and still there were errors. So don't worry about it overly much.

Everyone has had great suggestions for you. I'm glad you asked the question here. Luck to you!
www.tidedancer.com

#166265 - 11/23/08 01:16 PM Re: A question for you published authors [Re: Sandpiper]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
EW, don't forget Meredith's suggestion for an ONLINE critique group. I'll give one word of caution about joining an online group. Sometimes these groups have "power struggles" going on within and you'll have the alpha dog thing when you first enter. Stay away from groups such as this. If you get a sense that the members are more concerned with "who's right" or who can critique the LOUDEST, than in showing true interest in helping one another, then run, run, run!

So just because you find ONE group on the net to join, doesn't mean it will be a fit. You'll know when the right one comes along.

#166298 - 11/23/08 06:43 PM Re: A question for you published authors [Re: jawjaw]
Edelweiss3 Offline

JJ, I never thought of looking into online critique groups. Soooo after reading your suggestion I spent several hours checking them out. OMG, there are hundreds of them!

After reading a dozen random posts, I've come to the conclusion that many posters are frustrated. They don't even get a response to their posts, never mind a critique.

Since I spend too much time online anyway, I think I will just continue to comb over my book with a fine comb…and then invest my time once more in seeking an agent.

But still, thanks for your excellent suggestion.
smile

#178442 - 03/27/09 07:56 PM Re: A question for you published authors [Re: Edelweiss3]
mkpelland Offline

I encourage you to look a different way for your dream to mature. Consider self-publishing or e-publishing - Steven King did it!
I've done a lot of research and writing on self-pub, for my own benefit. Here are some resources to get you up to speed.
Dan Poynter Self Publishing --not the definitive tome but some very good information.
E publishing for writers
Do writers make money self publishing?
If you have time, have a look at these articles - they might give you a leg up into this coming trend.

Good conversation here.
mkp
Chicago Home Technology Examiner

#178455 - 03/27/09 09:04 PM Re: A question for you published authors [Re: mkpelland]
Edelweiss3 Offline

mkp, yes, I am def. considering self publishing. Is the publishing company yours? Lots of valuable information there. Thanks for posting the links.

Have you self published? Is so, are you happy with the results?
Is that how you started your own company?
Do I ask alot of questions?
Yes? laugh

#178476 - 03/27/09 10:19 PM Re: A question for you published authors [Re: Edelweiss3]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Well I am representing the book I just ghostwrote for a woman and if main stream publishers do not jump at the chance to publish it, I will turn to self publishing as a way to get the job done. It is a viable choice to any writer. Check the company out first, some are terribly corrupt. Check out Editors and Preditors, or talk to other writers about who they used and if they were happy.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#178592 - 03/29/09 08:51 AM Re: A question for you published authors [Re: chatty lady]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Thanks Chatty. I will be comparing a lot. Maybe some ladies who have published and are satisfied with their publisher could recommend them to me.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved