The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 165 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#165741 - 11/16/08 11:57 AM New Uni Update
Poppie Offline

Loc: London
http://www.boomerwomenspeak.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=115763&page=all

Not sure if that cut and paste thingie still works on the updated site look...however, for those who wish to see where all this began, that is the link.

Well now, I am seven weeks into my first semester and it is incredibly busy. The first three always focuses on technical skill and a mini presentation which works with all first, second and third years to help us settle in.
ike last year, all the work to follow leads up to an exibition which is called 'tell a story'(in metaland other materials of my choosing)
Mine started out quite random and vague, and I was not fully engaged in what was neeeded for the project. One of my tutors stripped it all back for me and suggsted that I pick up on 'texturing'within my primary sketches(yup...sketching is no longer my nemisis)...now, that made me feel even more disengaged. I was also given the option to pick up on one single thing within my sketching...so,after brainstorming with a few of my peers...I found it!! I found what I neede to 'tell a story' out of the primary work(which was filled with autumnal scenes etc)
Trees and leaves had been maticuliously recorded on paper and various other mediums.
'Lifes Tree' is to be my exibition peice. This got me buzzing and brimming with ideas..and includes the ten textures and techniques required.
That which has falln from the tree is past and no longer has the power to hold me back.
What is entwined within the tree trunk is the 'core of my being' and all that is precious to me
What is starting to emmerge from the new branches is my future 'hopes and dreams'
The tree and all that is with it will be made mostly from base metals(copper, brass, steel wire etc, what lies under the branches will use the same materials and what is growing from..I will use both base and precious metals, silver and such. I hope to involve the observer by inviting them to write something on a peice of paper something which they want to leave behind, and sticking it anon on the tree(which will then give me fodder for a new project linked to the 'story' one.
This will all be on open exibition in early Jan.

I hope what I am blethering on about makes some sense!!

Photos to follow in a mo

Poppie
''Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love

#165744 - 11/16/08 12:40 PM Re: New Uni Update [Re: Poppie]
Poppie Offline

Nope...not happening with the photo's....turned meself into comp nerd!! I will try again when I get somemore spare time...sorry

Poppie
''Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love

#165775 - 11/16/08 07:33 PM Re: New Uni Update [Re: Poppie]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Poppie, boy is the artist in your thriving. Love the idea of using life tree. Isn't it amazing how jazzed you can get when you put your finger on what works for you? Glad you're surrounded by peopel who draw out the artist wihin you. Hoping you will post a photo of this exhibition in January. I enjoyed your jewelry exhibition last year. Is this your second year?

#165813 - 11/17/08 04:01 AM Re: New Uni Update [Re: Dotsie]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Poppie, this sounds so fascinating! Are you incorporating any of the cultural myths about Tree of Life? Or will this be a purely personal perspective?

Poet and essayist

#165888 - 11/18/08 01:02 AM Re: New Uni Update [Re: meredithbead]
Poppie Offline

Hi Mer, my fellow crafts woman, when I started the first term, my tutor advised to veer away from explorations which involve all things Irish(in it's cultural, mythical and political sense)...I can see his angle and just for this semester why he wishes that for me

As I eplained above..I need to produce either ten or one object which show off a particular range of tech skill in metal working. Nope, the thought of that had me bored, belligerent and blocked creativly speaking of course.

So yes, I will do what is requested and imbrue the cultural as well as the emotional and this is because I am able to fit the piece comfortably into a contextual home and I can 'tell a story' with me being fully engaged in the piece and all it's
exciting processes thst I am learning daily. All good I think, should tick all the boxes of mine, my assessors and most importantly..the observers.
Wow...where did that all come from...I write not far removed from those artists and crafts people who are passing their knowledge on to me...it's gotta prove that the information is going in and staying, I am talking as an artist!! Wow again...this stuff is realy fitting!!

Dotsie, due to a massive administrative mess(and a plethera of disruptions) up and me beig ill advised, I am now redoing my first year. It took ome courage I tell ys for me to walk back in to Uni with head held high..for sure. It has it's pro's and cons, but I am quickly turning the cons around! I think the Uni may try and work out that the year counted for something, foundation in arts or something similar.
I will post sme photo's when the time has passed productivly and hope to have figured out how to submit them in the forums(it's either something to do with the new look site..or I could have simply forgotten!

I love doing my wee updates as they are now demonstrating how many pennies have dropped!

Warm thoughts

Poppie

#165901 - 11/18/08 01:46 PM Re: New Uni Update [Re: Poppie]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Poppie, sorry to hear last year didn't count. I hope some of the credits count for something toward your degree. They should. You certainly have pieces to prove you've learned.

#165958 - 11/19/08 01:54 AM Re: New Uni Update [Re: Dotsie]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Poppie, I wasn't even aware of an Irish version of the Tree of Life! I know the Jewish one, and the Buddhist one, and figured it probably showed up in variations in other cultures as well. I was just reading up on Winter Solstice, and the evergreen, being ever-green, was used to symbolize rebirth/not-dying in the return of the sun, so that may be another version. Tieing in the various Tree of Life stories to your own life shows both a continuum and a symbiosis. I love the entire concept although it sounds like a huge task.

How awful that your first year "didn't count!" I'm not sure if I'd be more pissed or just depressed. Maybe some combo of both. I hope something positive gets straightened out.

Love hearing your updates smile

Poet and essayist

#167263 - 12/09/08 01:36 AM Re: New Uni Update [Re: meredithbead]
Poppie Offline

Hello my dear fellow boomers, just a wee update on one aspct of my work which is the 'tell a story'breif.It is evolvige better than I expected and I know suffer from an affliction called dendrophilia..which fortunately does not need mmedicated for. The peice as in the tree istself is being made out of various grades of steel wier which has been textured with hammers, rollers and varoius forms of filing. So far,

#167266 - 12/09/08 02:30 AM Re: New Uni Update [Re: Poppie]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
Thanks for the update, Poppie. I love hearing about your projects!
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#167267 - 12/09/08 02:35 AM Re: New Uni Update [Re: yonuh]
Poppie Offline

Hello my dear fellow boomer sisters,

just another wee update on one of my project modules, ie 'tell a story'..mine being the 'tree of life' and being made from various grades of steel metal wire. It started of as a series of ten or so lengths cut in all four grades of wire being welded at the bottom. Textures have been added to give the treea decent organic branch/bark look with the use of hammers,rollers and variation of markmaking in the wire.

I am also going to incorperate brass, copper and guilding metal wire...again peirced, textured and spot welded in the appropriate places. I am delighted to see and say that out of ten pieces of wire, I am now acheiving a very organic, conceptual,spiritual, cultural and original object/art ornament with the techniqes employed.

I will also use brass, copper and guilding grades of wire in keepin with a bark like appearance from roots to tiny offshooting branches.

The centre of the tree will contain the appropriate size scale of a sphere and within, a small 'daisy/primrose' type flower crafted with silver to denote its' importance(the core of my being held safe in this precious circle)and in the flower, I will set a very beautiful semi-precious stone, golden and amber in its' glittering hue and in keeping with the colours previously mentioned.

Whilst having a group crit, I bemoaned to Tim(One of my main tutors), telling him that I hade a desperate case of dendrophilia..he looked perplexed and a bit peaved as if to say' here we go again..another side to Poppies emotional difficulyies'. He asked would my medication need tweaked for this new malady, to which I responded that "only if I beleived I was a tree"!!

I am having fun ladies, by not taking things so seriously and the abscence of any major drama...this term has been just awsome and I have evolved to a standard which delights me and those around me..thats why I like sharing with my boomer sisters(it reinforces my evoloutionary process).
I hope to post some pics of how far I am with my tree, which has yet to be festooned with objects(abstract peices of jewellry and more). It will probably be my exibition piece this year..very exiting time just now.

hope ya'll can join me in my expressions and delight which come hand in glove and that my explanation are understandable.

Mer, there ar no 'trees of life' from Irish culture, save to say those from the many fairies rings dotted all around Ireland. The way in which I get to embrue the cultural side is by chosing carefully what I adorn my tree with and that is in the second phase of design and plan.

I shall keep you all posted soon

Big Loves
Poppie

#167298 - 12/09/08 04:42 PM Re: New Uni Update [Re: Poppie]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Poppie, you sound like such an aritst. All your terminolgy is most impressive. Thanks so much for sahring your story and your photos. Uni has been so good for you at this stage in life, it's nice to be tickled and jazzed about something. Just love it. I look forward to seeing your tree all decorated!

#167311 - 12/09/08 05:37 PM Re: New Uni Update [Re: Dotsie]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
Wow, great to see you at your work Poppie! Looks like a modern workshop. Oh bliss. the thought of just being creative all day sounds heavenly to me. Hope we get to see the end result. Don't forget to post it, Chara!

#167401 - 12/11/08 12:48 AM Re: New Uni Update [Re: Edelweiss3]
Poppie Offline

Discovering subtleties
Of rare explicit crudity..
Yet, exquisite reward in kind.
Joy indeed overlaps all
-uplifting, unpeeling stratums
of wintery weary days
lending to separate light inside,
knowing no boundaries.
I shut my eyes in order to perceive
.....reaching, seeing.

Hey Ho, new update on 'tree of life' missive

Having just completed stage one today and I have to acknowledge that I am well pleased with the whole organic flow to this piece.

Stage two is to replicate the first stage as a root system reflecting what lies above. Now, a new and advanced evolution in that I will use two clear thick piece of Perspex where I will split the two forms. In between the Perspex, I will collage with leaves, (both real and constructed); photo's and found papers with some sketching too.

Both branches and root systems will be adorned accordingly and once I have finished 'drawing with wire', I will add pieces that will inform the observer of my particular story
From the outset of primary drawings, my personal engagement with the work involved has been imbrued with a soft but grounded spirituality and at times I have been completely unaware of all other goings on around me as I become more and more connected...one of the most central points for me as the artisan I am evolving toward.

My pictures speak for themselves as they denote my sheer bonded delight at the mastery of new skills along with my expressive imagination. To some observers, I suspect that my unashamedly abstract approach will confound, confuse and cause conflict as to the pieces’ contextual home...each to their own...eh?

I should have this piece finished by Friday, but here are a few other pics to illustrate the flotsam and jetsam change and/or flow. In this case, form does not follow function, which is important to any designer/creator who has a drive for individual and not derivative.

Poppie

#167415 - 12/11/08 01:39 AM Re: New Uni Update [Re: Poppie]
Sandpiper Offline

Loc: Kissimmee, Florida
Wow Poppie this is impressive. You're very good. Looks like you are thoroughly enjoying yourself at Uni. I do hope you'll post the finished piece. Beautiful.

Thanks for sharing.
www.tidedancer.com

#167426 - 12/11/08 08:40 AM Re: New Uni Update [Re: Sandpiper]
Mountain Ash Offline

I see the tree as symbolic.A canvas. Being bare it has such potential.Think of the little delicate pieces that could have temporary stay..Spring...all the greens..amber citrine then catkins even of textile..all small in proportion,
Then after Summer'S Flourish the coppers of Autumn.Knitting with wire weavingdoll's house size.
.Have another make a wooden (has to be wood)for storing the trees
energy and source..

Think as I write I see WOMAN.
well done.
Mountain ash

#168068 - 12/18/08 03:43 PM Re: New Uni Update [Re: Mountain Ash]
Poppie Offline

Oh,oh...just had a new idea, the two perspex peices will be abuot 40cm's apart...riveted with copper tubing. Instaed of making a mini replica of the tree for it's roots....I think I could be a little bit more imaginative. Right, one tree as above, roots to come...but what if I were to use old wire cables(you see the all the time when peeps dump their old pc's!)cables with 'jacks' on the end...so that I can use a white styrofoam head...and plug them all in??? I am thinking marix(ish) the head would be between the two suitably adorned persex peices?

Does anyone realy get this?? Like realy?lol

Poppie

#168080 - 12/18/08 06:40 PM Re: New Uni Update [Re: Poppie]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
A bit. LOL!!! Is that the workshop where all the background hammering came from when I called you once?

#168083 - 12/18/08 06:58 PM Re: New Uni Update [Re: Lola]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

You lost me on the last post, but it all seems very creative. Keep up the great work.

#168087 - 12/18/08 07:42 PM Re: New Uni Update [Re: Dotsie]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Poppie, I find all of this wildly exciting and dumbfounding, all in the same breath. While I don't understand the "lingo" as Dotsie says, or terminology, or even the methods, I do understand your desire for this craft and one would have to be blind to not be able to see your creativity!

So join you in your joy? Absolutely! I can't wait until the next installment!

Big hugs,

#168312 - 12/20/08 03:20 PM Re: New Uni Update [Re: jawjaw]
Poppie Offline

R.O.M.C....my lovely freinds....I so laughed at your responses, sorry,(hands up)I sometimes do get overly excited about my evolving ideas..and expect that everyone else will understand!! Its a piece that needs to be seen..eh? I will try not to be so verbose...but will keep on posting too. Yes Lola, that is the infamous workshop indeed. Come and see?(gauntlet crashing at Lolas' toes)

Poppie

#169920 - 01/03/09 11:02 PM Re: New Uni Update [Re: Poppie]
Lola Offline

Nope. It did not crash. Caught it! Sure I'll come and see when I am in town. Might have to be on a Saturday though. After Westminster and before I rail out of London. Are you allowed at uni on a Saturday?

#169987 - 01/04/09 02:47 PM Re: New Uni Update [Re: Lola]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Lola, please let us know if you visit Poppie at uni. Wouldn't that be fun!

#170041 - 01/04/09 11:30 PM Re: New Uni Update [Re: Dotsie]
Lola Offline

Will do, Dotsie. It's always fun meeting up with Poppie.

#170414 - 01/08/09 11:51 AM Re: New Uni Update [Re: Lola]
Poppie Offline

That is one exibition out of the way for this semester and again...I did rather well, covered all aspects that I set out to do. We submit our work next Monday..so I have a few more days to get it all into order.

Dots and JJ,I hope you can see what my excited little bluster was all about now. You cannot see the little flower when photographing the whole instalation..so I have posted it all on is wee ownio.

Poppie

#170529 - 01/09/09 09:18 AM Re: New Uni Update [Re: Poppie]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Really cool and gorgeous!

Poet and essayist

#171074 - 01/13/09 10:55 AM Re: New Uni Update [Re: meredithbead]
Poppie Offline

Thanks Mer,
it was a fun installation..and the exibition was a hoot..did you like my wee owl,?, she was etched and hand engraved. We have a timeline object and power point five min presentation on wed comming...eek! Tomorrow!!
This semester has been a real treat for me personally. So we have three weeks off now after the presentation to do a tonn of visual research on 'body adornment'..this will lead toan end of year 'catwalk show'...which I am way excited about.
Even the 98 analytical drawings are not phasing me(yes 98!!)
I will be keeping ya'll posted.

Big Loves.

Poppie

#171077 - 01/13/09 12:21 PM Re: New Uni Update [Re: Poppie]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Well done, once again, Poppie. Your work is beautiful. Next time Pops and I come to London, we will be sure to check out the workroom with you.

I'll try and catch you for a chat on Saturday. Missed you last weekend.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#171475 - 01/15/09 07:29 PM Re: New Uni Update [Re: Anno]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

You are learning so much. This is most impressive. I love the flower pin. It's gorgeous.

Please tell us more about body adornment. I'm curious.

Hope to see soem of those ninety eight sketches. Good grief. When do you sleep?

#171696 - 01/17/09 02:18 PM Re: New Uni Update [Re: Dotsie]
Poppie Offline

Thanks for the positive comments Dotsie, the little flower was in the centre of the tree to be 'protected'. As for the sketching..that will take some courage to post! I am still quite shy, even though I am not as worried as last year..this aspect of my work is a work in progress.
The 'body adornment' is the most challenging module, but also the most fun. We are given an open ended approach to re-define jewellry through the body as a canvas. We must produce one large 3d peice and one small peice..having collated a large ammount of visual research and chosing aspects to design and make. Its a big module...so tonns of sketching, recorded information on how we have adorned the body in historical terms and contemporary too.
It opens the door to an excited gathering of my own notion of what body adornment is and how I can represent this in my work.

What is different for me this semester is that I am not starting a project(inside out) with an end set of peices...I have eventually got the concept where my primary sketching and secondary information will evolve(out side in) into two peices of work deemed tecnically and visually worthy of being shown at 'the end of year catwalk'

The whole cohort are excited about this, so it is good that everyone is pulling together and all the little cliques are being dispersed.

As usual, I will be keeping everyone interested up to speed.

Much Love

Poppie

#171702 - 01/17/09 03:25 PM Re: New Uni Update [Re: Poppie]
Anno Offline

Thank you for your continued sharing of your successes and trials through your uni years. I, for one, cannot wait to see what this new project brings out in you and your friends.

Love to you. Ann

#172105 - 01/20/09 09:25 PM Re: New Uni Update [Re: Anno]
Poppie Offline

Hello my friends, I was chatting with Lola last night, she was in great fettle as always..she was also commmenting on my work, however...it in her eyes was too small(posted pics)So, I am going to remedy that I hope with a slide show of most of my work to dat and seperate ones from this years exibition. I am flat hunting this week,so this is a bit of me time. I hope these links work. Here we go!!

I hope they can be seen much better now..if not, the first link should take you to the slide show.

Loves alround Poppie

#172110 - 01/20/09 10:26 PM Re: New Uni Update [Re: Poppie]
Lola Offline

That ring never ceases to amaze me. And...I just flinched again with that photo of you and the tree...LOL! Mind to wear your goggles when working with pointy objects.

#172125 - 01/21/09 12:25 AM Re: New Uni Update [Re: Lola]
Anno Offline

Poppie, I can't wait until I have the opportunity to purchase my first Poppie original.

#172891 - 01/28/09 12:29 PM Re: New Uni Update [Re: Anno]
Poppie Offline

Hello ladies, no ramblings today about my latest peice of work...as a student rep and a student body...the whole of the Metropolitan Uni are on the march today. London Metropolitan University- London's biggest university- in in the grips of a massive financial crisis.
The Board of Governors of London Metropolitan University are due to meet on Wednesday the 28th of January 2009 to discuss the future of the University. There will be a demonstration/lobby outside the building, beginning at 4pm, to demonstration the staff and students' anger at the current plans to axe hundreds of staff jobs. This is a demo. for all staff, students, and anyone who is affected by or concerned with the future of London's biggest university.
One of our main objectives is also to call for the resignation of the university's Vice Chancellor, Prof. Brian Roper. He is also the most highly-paid Vice Chancellor in the country, making £276k a year before bonuses
Over the past 2 years, the hours of very important tutors has nearly been halved and now there may be cuts of 2500 staff may be in jepardy.
This has a huge impact on us as students as within all these cuts we are losing valued teaching time, access to materials and extra time in the workshops(which is where most of the magic happens as you have seen).
I will keep you posted.....

Polemic Poppie!!

#181346 - 05/03/09 04:01 PM Re: New Uni Update [Re: Poppie]
Poppie Offline

Hello my darling Boomer Friends, sheesh its been too long and has me weary and I must admit…a tad shy!! Just thought I would spend a little time updating on the Uni situ. I have been withdrawn from the course under the guise of not meeting probationary stipulations…it is all to coincidental that I made a complaint about a tutor who was rude and undermining on front of all of my peers and the very next day I was up against the Vice Chacellor to be withdrawn

As from Tuesday of next week, I should have gone through various information which will take the appeal to a higher level. I am not sure if an internal report will cover all my bases and as much as the student advocacy is concerned. I am having serious doubts about them even though they are appearing to be pulling all of the work necessary together in one place. I am also giving the green light to an external company of solicitors who deal well with students, to start the ball rolling form a legal point of view. The internal reps have advised me if I am successful, I could have my fee’s and some of my loans wavered.

The legal team are very much concerned with the blatant ignoring of a disabled student services set up(or not as in my case) They also outlined that I have an excellent case for taking on my Unis department for failing me right across the board, this case could be overturned and the Uni would have to follow the issues outlined in my D.S.A recommendations, but as that was never the case, I could be awarded all of the monies generated by student loans and grants.
All I want is for my name to be cleared. Do I want to back to The Sir John Cassidy school of art and spend a ridiculous amount of money, nope, I do not wish to return. In most of my experience at the Cass were valued, taught and demonstrated by makers and designers…..but discovering how everyone joined ranks, and closed in in a way that shocked me to the core. The Cass is fussy when it comes to bums on seats in that they can charge others outside of Ireland and the Uk..I would imagine that a good 60-75% of London Met place a higher value on overseas students who will pay four times what I paid(£3071 per term)
The initial shock sent me into a hypo reaction and I was down for nearly four weeks
So, having had time to think since this Uni mess, I went online and googled Jewellery courses and sifted through hundreds of courses, I found a 32 week course, with the focus on 2 day bench workshops…the rest of that week would be a paid work experience in Hatton Garden. The hotbed of London’s jewellery scene. This course covers more technical issues than all other providers and its reputation is pretty good for providing short and long courses in all areas of expertise. Whilst coming up to interview time (22nd of may with the Chelsea and Kensington school of art ), I have also found a fair number of specialist hands on weekend and evening courses. The price for these long and short courses range from £10 pounds/to £90 and all I have to do is sign up for most that I would prefer to give me the skills I set out to acquire, which I thought would have been covered by my degree.

It is an exciting time as I know that what I want most is there for me without the pressure, cost and with a huge range of skills not observed by my degree. This means that going into production should be happening sooner rather than later

They say that things happen for a reason…and nope, I am not come of with a plethora of platitudes! I think the choices ahead of me are what I was hoping from ‘the cass’ but didn’t get, from support to specialist skills.

I will of course keep you all posted

Love
Poppie

#181499 - 05/05/09 03:17 PM Re: New Uni Update [Re: Poppie]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I'm with you about all things happening for a reason. Sometimes schools that teach you precisely what you need, without all the fringes, are the best. You get right down to business. I think the 32 week course sounds marvelous, especially with the experience in the jewelry hot bed.

As far as the issues at your current school, follow through if someone has been mistreated.

#181751 - 05/08/09 02:13 AM Re: New Uni Update [Re: Dotsie]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
take the case as far as you can with uni internale and externalie if ya have to, clearing your name and it was ecxpensive cash wise as well as 2 years of your time.

you probabvlie had to travel the way you did to get weer your going to be. who knows and sometimes its full of twist and turnes, shame you din't gt the jist of the degree sooner and went straight to doing the updating and doing of the skills which was why you orginalie went ...you get thir

the tranning then paid apprentiship gonna be awsome and i hopeing you get that! wink

pay off some debts and the hands on experinse in hatten garden be the best outcome. For no UKers hatten gardens one of the best jewlary areas to work from! the address is something to have on a cv if nuthing else.

anyway i am studing too now....i gonna start a new post!

#182736 - 05/22/09 05:09 AM Re: New Uni Update [Re: celtic_flame]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Poppie, I'm sorry you had to go through the mistreatment at Cass but I look forward to seeing your new direction at Hatton Gardens.

Poet and essayist

#182742 - 05/22/09 07:45 AM Re: New Uni Update [Re: meredithbead]
Edelweiss3 Offline

I dedicate this song to you; Poppie and to Celtic.
"A time to plant...a time to reap"...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DejUPN4SksU

#182852 - 05/24/09 04:18 AM Re: New Uni Update [Re: Edelweiss3]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
A good tune that Edelweiss chose for Poppie and Celtic.

#184444 - 06/17/09 02:05 AM Re: New Uni Update [Re: orchid]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
your right orchid it is a good choise.

ew you wee saftie lol. it dose seem to get it all in thir, well the words of the song still afew bits left to do lol. thanks for the dedicasion and i try naggin p to get in and update, its good news wink

she reallie a luckie person in many respects, only if she see it that way half battle be won :-)

cheers again ew

#184524 - 06/18/09 01:28 PM Re: New Uni Update [Re: celtic_flame]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

How fun to see and hear Judy. Boy does that take you back.

celtic, I'm anxious to hear the good news! Where's Po?

#184573 - 06/18/09 08:26 PM Re: New Uni Update [Re: Dotsie]
Poppie Offline

Thanks Celtic my dear sweet one. Today is the anniversary of my brain bleed which as you know, killed me a few times. On the day of the accident, Celtic and I had lunch together and I remember staring with great conviction that something big was going to happen in my life and it would be for the better. Celtic left to do another message and I recall her looking back at me with a look that said 'I love you'(I also have a photographic memory through all the years before we got together)

I remember way before the accident, myself and my girlfriend at the time went to visit Celtic, her partner of 8 yeas and their son. Celtic was not home from work yet so her partner bid us indoors to wait. I knew then that this visit wasn't previously arranged judging by the annoyance of Celtics then partner...she also didn't like my girlfriend at the time. I focused on playing with the child and left the other two to stare each other out!
When Celtic bounced through the door, she went straight to the wee fella to give him lots of loves...the tension became even stronger than before more. Celtic being Celtic brought the tension down with her banter and carry-on.
She then asked me if I wanted to go out for a smoke in the yard out back, I shyly mumbled in agreement and of we went. I recall the very moment I fell in love...she lit my fag for me, chatted in an attempt to make me feel at ease. I must confess that for two thirds of the conversation, I couldn't understand her accent. But stood there nodding and smiling like an ejeet.
Home time encroached and Celtic offered to drive us home. During the short drive, I was to be caught looking at Celtic in the mirrow..I blushed and said very little.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXJwVyotrMk

When me and my ex walked through my door...I ran to my bedroom and (cried hard, when my ex asked me why all the tears. I lied and she accepted the lies. The reason why I was so distraught was that, 'that' other woman had my life, I should have been the one that Celtic came home to. Nothing could console me. From that day onwards, there would hardly be a day about the thief of my life...I could recall an emptiness in Celtics eyes and all I wanted to do was wrap her in a blanket, tuck her up in bed and fill her with as much love and comfort as I could manage
After about a year that chat, I found myself still smarting because I thought I had missed whatever window of opportunity and I would never get another chance.

After my hysterectomy, I had some comfort from friends who took me to there homes and pampered the life of me. The Girlfriend at the time was in Spain(supposedly with her Mom to sort things out)with another woman who she had been seeing behind my back. Once this information was departed to me, it appeared that everyone came forward to tell me what a fool I had been. And some more things to boot.

After the operation, I went to ground. One little lass would call on me to see if I needed anything. She also asked if she could bring a friend with her on the next visit and I had no problems with that. The day Celtic arrived at my door…I marvelled about how big and strong she was. After a little while we were dating and, this was all about providing comfort.

About three to four months into our romance(one of the extraordinary of my life) as I mentioned, were Celt left to do some errands. I wanted to order some food and by the time a waitress came, I couldn’t speak, wrote down an apology and left. Apparently I was being watched by two door men, who had witnessed me being coherent…I don’t remember falling, died three times on the road, once in the ambulance and once in theatre.

I recall with tiredness, that I was indeed letting go. I wasn’t afraid…something caught my eye in a darkened corrihanks Celtic my dear sweet one. Today is the anniversary of my brain bleed which as you know, killed me a few times. On the day of the accident, Celtic and I had lunch together and I remember stating with great conviction that something big was going to happen in my life and it would be for the better. Celtic left to do another message and I recall her looking back at me with a look that said 'I love you'(I also have a photographic memory through all the years before we got together)

I remember before the accident, myself and my girlfriend at the time went to visit Celtic, her partner of 8 yeas and their son. Celtic was not home from work yet so her partner bid us indoors to wait. I knew then that this visit wasn't previously arranged judging by the annoyance of Celtics then partner...she also didn't like my girlfriend at the time. I focused on playing with the child and left the other two to stare each other out!
When Celtic bounced through the door, she went straight to the wee fella to give him lots of loves...the tension became even stronger than before more. Celtic being Celtic brought the tension down with her banter and carry-on.
She then asked me if I wanted to go out for a smoke in the yard out back, I shyly mumbled in agreement and of we went. I recall the very moment I fell in love...she lit my fag for me, chatted in an attempt to make me feel at ease. I must confess that for two thirds of the conversation, I couldn't understand her accent. But stood there nodding and smiling like an emit.
Home time encroached and Celtic offered to drive us home. During the short drive, I was to be caught looking at Celtic in the mirrow..I blushed and said very little.

When me and my ex walked through my door...I ran to my bedroom and cried hard, when my ex asked me why all the tears. I lied and she accepted the lies. The reason why I was so distraught was that, 'that' other woman had my life, I should have been the one that Celtic came home to. Nothing could console me. From that day onwards, there would hardly be a day about the thief of my life...I could recall an emptiness in Celtics eyes and all I wanted to do was wrap her in a blanket door, this something turned out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQw7YZwnjK8

to be Celtic in a bright orange blouse. I knew then that I must not die…that there was something yet that I had to fulfil and I started to claw my way back. Celtic never left my bedside. I could only recognise her and not my immediate family for a few weeks. I believed it was 1986 and that they were keeping my baby from me. Bit by bit, I slowly recovered…I believe with out a shadow of a doubt, that if Celtic had not been present, I surly would have chosen to die.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpVM_az0Zjw

Each night before I lay down to rest, I implored with Jesus for you Celtic to stay a little younger and innocent to be safe.
I have many horror stories…but what has changed the most is to hand ones will and life over to the boss and in doing so, with the care of Celtic. Just as I am crying and praying for change.

It’s true that we all have let our tempers go to rage in seconds…but even at the worst times, you were funny.

So, all things considered, it changed how I looked at the world, my life, almost everything. I was desperate need to step back from this trauma,
And most of the timers it Celtic who talks me round(my bi-polar is playing havoc at the moment…the peaks and troughs are pretty scary and don’t require anything to set off an episode),
In BWS land, I know that sometimes stuff has been said by myself…about all in all the support and love I have in my life, yet I doubt it. Granted, it has not been so bad . My life has been charmed..and has given me a lot to give

For Michelle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22kPiPILteQ
No matter what we have been through together. We now have the abilitiy to turn dreams into something tangent. Offering light to an otherwise dull existence. Michelle you owe me nothing, but I treasure you for keeping me alive.
Tu Aman Chara

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22kPiPILteQ

#184594 - 06/18/09 11:28 PM Re: New Uni Update [Re: Poppie]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Wow, if this isn't a testimony of love,...then I don't know what is. Poppie, Celtic is your own personal angel who has helped keep you here on this earth with us all. Thank God for that.

LOVED Nina Simone singing 'Feeling Good.'. I'm grooving to it right now.

#184602 - 06/19/09 02:52 AM Re: New Uni Update [Re: Edelweiss3]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
EW, what a great choice of song and artist. What a beautiful rendition of turn, turn, turn.

#184604 - 06/19/09 03:05 AM Re: New Uni Update [Re: Princess Lenora]
Princess Lenora Offline

Wow, what P wrote is a love letter. That is a very tender love story, and powerful in terms of bringing P back to life, back to the living, on to her true self. Thanks for sharing here in public! Love and Light to both of you, (and the wee one) Lynn

#184619 - 06/19/09 02:07 PM Re: New Uni Update [Re: Princess Lenora]
Anno Offline

I am glad that the two of you are working life out. Love to both of you.
Ann (Mom)

#184637 - 06/19/09 05:56 PM Re: New Uni Update [Re: Anno]
Poppie Offline

Thanks ladies...I have just re-read what I had written above..and my 'cut and paste' is messed up...I think ya'll got the jist of ot mind...oops, sorry!
I also recal that in my time of recovery, Celtic very sweetly brought me my teddy 'spike'(named after spike Millligan my favourite comedian). I was delighted..but then the nurses and some of my family and freinds were teasing me relentlessly about him, so I chucked him at the bottom of my bed.
When I thought no-one was looking...I sneaked him back under my covers.
The nurses came back and asked that I should be allowed some rest, so everyone filed out saying their goodbyes. When Celtic got to the other side of my window...I pulled my blankets down just enough so that she could see spike..she describes this moment as if she werelooking like a mischeif five year old Po. We still laugh about that and a few more happenings.

Oh aye, the good news Celt was referring to is that I have been accepted by another Art Academy, where I will get the skills I crave and hoped I would have been taught at 'the cass'...thay are pretty keen because of my history and again, 'Marconis' Cottage' pulled it out of the bag for me. I hope to start in Sept

Will be producing a heck of a lot more work at The Chelsea nad Kensington Art Academy(very posh indeed!!!)

Poppie

#184638 - 06/19/09 06:02 PM Re: New Uni Update [Re: Poppie]
Poppie Offline

Love you too Mom.xx Lynn, yup..it is a very personal thing to be posting about...but it was the work of the angel around me who might be a little more reserved, whereas I wear my heart on my sleave.

Big Loves

#184698 - 06/20/09 12:50 AM Re: New Uni Update [Re: Poppie]
Princess Lenora Offline

Poppie, it sounds like you have dealt with what happened at the U, and you are ready and able to move on. You seem OK with everything. And, there's nothing better than hearing about love!

#184718 - 06/20/09 06:33 AM Re: New Uni Update [Re: Princess Lenora]
Poppie Offline

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rWooyXm_Aw

Ta mo croi iste unath(my heart lies within)

On Ballycastle Beach

On a summers, beyond brilliant day…photographs being taken
sat on one large lonely rock
The sun on my face,
The moon behind…..just as the evening encroached.

People, just dots in the distances
two powerful planets encasing us in a perfect light
As Erin’s(Irelands) sea sang a sweet as molasses melody…her striking voice resounding
the love song I was writing in my head, from the heart.
I never dared sing it aloud just then…
yet till this day…I believe you heard it too..
I could swear I heard you humming so very quiet ….
just faint enough to carry the intent

Love is like that,……. like that day and what the sky offered us as a pallet
a unpolluted thing, whispering a promise for a little.
The contented sigh of a certainty as the soft spume
sent to sweep away dark aged stories of past, to paint our portrait anew awash with colours of divinities own bespoke choosing.
To please and to answer the prayer of ones lifetime
such fortuity was offered, mine for the taking
mine for the sharing.
Our chance to create many masterpieces’ with a full soul
We can be the artisans ever after.

We laughed as in turn, skipped stones over the gentle incoming tide…each and every stone was symbolic gesture as I rid myself of as much
of the void, once referred to as a barren heart…I craved the space..
carving in the sand flinging open the
doors with heaven on my side…
destiny’s not to lose…. devotion is a marvel never to refuse.

The sea washed away the tracks of our path, we may have lost our direction from time to time,
for having hurt and misplaced our misgivings. Only to hurt a little more. but
my heart has every tool needed to repair the sadness, disappointments and all the rest….the kit does not weigh much just as the list is not too long to take to task

So know this for sure, the up and coming journey is certain to be the one to be embarked upon now, it will serve to remind of the magic that comes from our love.

Remember the light in your eyes when you can find that beauty in the world that is unique to you.

Remember just how soft you really are

Bring back to mind those amazing footprints left in most places and people you chose to travel with in your true heart

Never lose sight of how you touch peoples heart…it’s god given.

Know that your love, beyond all else bathes me beautiful in your eyes, even through the toughest of times

Hold high pride in what you day and daily come rain or shine,

Try as hard as you can to hear me just now….

Allow your emotion to be real, no matter what, who or why.

Lets catch up proper with each other at this crossroad in our lives
Where we can walk, hands held…side by side ..
I chose to live to fulfill something and believe it is not done yet…
My sweet one…our time has come…our time has come
Please take my hand today

Poppie.

I bear no shame in posting like this, and I trust that my openess does not offend. This is a very, very improtant time in our lives and I want to shout it from way far. If the poem looks complicated, maybe just read it again...the message is simple....I love Celtic with every fibre of my being. She is the biggest reason for my being and has been since we have been together(and of course the boss). All of you ladies who have known us for some time will also know that things have been periodically very tough, you guys have listened,advised and loved us through thick and thin...so even though this post is personal, I am pretty sure you are all used to that with me anyhoo.
I have had a dark night of the soul and haven't slept. My heart is lifted and prayers are being taken care of. We will come out the other side of this wherebye everyones needs will be met and looked after
We will also have learned alot and grown up some(the latter appkies to me more)
So, I will ask again for the upmteenth time, could you dear sweet gals hold us in your hearts and prayers once again. I thank all who have loved and suppported us both. Dotsie, another prime example of what this mission of yours holds. You my friend are awsome and I came to care for you some time back...I just cannot thank you enough. Mom, I love you dearly and cannot wait to ee you in Erin real soon.

With Big Thanks to all who supported us

Poppie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btqoSPPfzlg

#184738 - 06/20/09 01:38 PM Re: New Uni Update [Re: Poppie]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Poppie, this is lovely. Wow, very deep, yet so simple. What a wordsmith you are.

I'm sure many will relate this to their own with regard to one relationship or another.

Forgiveness and love reign.

I love the term, lets catch up proper. It's not a typical American phrase, but it speaks to me.

#184768 - 06/20/09 07:24 PM Re: New Uni Update [Re: Dotsie]
Princess Lenora Offline

No shame, just pride! xxoo

#185481 - 06/30/09 03:32 AM Re: New Uni Update [Re: Princess Lenora]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

beautiful posts Poppie. A touching tribute to your love.

Poet and essayist

#185485 - 06/30/09 07:11 AM Re: New Uni Update [Re: meredithbead]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Poppie you have shown us your heart. That's the old BWS that I've been missing. Picture your friends here, circling you and Celtic, and holding you both in our prayers.
Edelweiss

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved