The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 102 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#165409 - 11/12/08 10:17 PM Re: Let's Talk Vitamins and Supplements [Re: Dotsie]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
Calcium - here's some of what he said:
Make sure it is chelated, which means it is pre-digested and pre-acidized... your body won't have to do the work, and you'll absorb more. It takes a high acid stomach to process non- chelated calcium. And yes, he said calcium needs D, along with K and other minerals (boron, magnesium, zinc - a few he named - there are upwards of 20)

Fish Oil - his very first discussion topic, as he thinks it is soooo important, for every single organ in your body, as well as for the functions they do collectively. He claims that taking fish oil supplements is safer than eating fish. The way fish oil is processed, you don't get the dangerous metals, etc. Try and find fish oils from South America - Chilean, to be exact. Fish make fat in response to cold water and Chile (and other parts of South America) is one of the last good cold bodies of water where fish can produce such fat. Also, supplement providers aren't telling the public that the percentages of DHA in fish oils is dropping due to the warming of earth's water, so the DHA may be at 80%, while the EPA is still maintained at 120% (the percentages may be off - I'm pulling from memory)... but, for fish oils to work properly (the reason for taking them) they must be at the proper percentages. You need fish oil for your heart, brain, skin, and other (per him). I take some under the Natrol label that have lemon flavoring added. I don't get the fishy burp.
He talked of conversions of ALA, EPA and DHA... none of which I understood... not only was he talking fast, it was way over my head! He also introduced GLA (fatties from berry seeds) and Krill Oil into this section. I was taking notes, reading the slides, listening, all while my b*** was hurting from sitting on a chair that kept my feet from touching the floor.
Nevertheless, I'd go again!!!

#165410 - 11/12/08 10:28 PM Re: Let's Talk Vitamins and Supplements [Re: gims]
gims Offline

OH, when he was talking about Vit E, he said to make sure you have the D form, which is 'natural' if I understood correctly, 'DL' being synthetic. And, this was one of the most interesting bits of information he gave, during the whole session... bone is a living tissue and it remodels/rebuilds itself every 7 years.

More point he made:
Know which supplements to take with meals and without... some have to be accompanied by fat to work... others shouldn't be combined with fat - I think Vit C is one that falls within the latter.
A few other points he made about Vit C:
*Should not be taken with any other supplements
*Our bodies have evolved to a point that it can't make C anymore
*It starts getting absorbed as soon as taken, absorption taking place throughout the journey, to finish in the intestines.
*Aspirin interferes with Vit C, even if you take on the same day
*Sodium enhances Vit C - if you are on a low or no sodium diet, find a C which is made for easy absorption (he said this kind is best for diabetics, too)
*C is synergetic with other antioxidants
*C is good for reparation and immunity, as well as collagen, connective tissues, and stress (as fast as I was writing, I didn't get it all, but I'm sure there's info on the web)

I've got more, if anyone is interested.

Edited by gims (11/12/08 10:32 PM)

#165422 - 11/13/08 03:11 AM Re: Let's Talk Vitamins and Supplements [Re: gims]
MustangGal
Unregistered

Gals, don't forget Green Tea! If you don't like the taste of cold or hot green tea beverages (like myself), you can purchase supplements in the vitamin section at your local grocer or nutrition store. Target and Wal-Mart have good deals.

#165424 - 11/13/08 03:27 AM Re: Let's Talk Vitamins and Supplements [Re: ]
gims Offline

MG, that's one thing he didn't touch on - green tea. But stevia came up... it's a herb, I learned. One lady, attending the class, said she grew a stevia plant at home. We received a handful of stevia samples. I've never tried it, but will --- in my green tea, which I love. Do you know if Target or WalMart carries NOW products? Several times he mentioned that brand, and some doctor who does research for them. I couldn't catch the name, even though he said it 3 or 4 times.

#165428 - 11/13/08 08:17 AM Re: Let's Talk Vitamins and Supplements [Re: gims]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Gims, my b-2 is NOW and I get it at Henry's. I'm pretty sure it's not at Target and I don't go to Walmart but their website might say.

Poet and essayist

#165456 - 11/13/08 06:35 PM Re: Let's Talk Vitamins and Supplements [Re: meredithbead]
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Lots of info Gims. I don't take anything. Is there something that I SHOULD be taking at my age? I feel great, lots of energy and all. When we were kids, we got MALTEVOL in the wintertime, Cod liver oil capsules in the summertime and A dose of EXLAX every now and then...never asked why.

#165467 - 11/13/08 08:48 PM Re: Let's Talk Vitamins and Supplements [Re: chickadee]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
gims, what have you decided to take as a result of this seminar?

I had Dad at an appointment todya, and the pharmacist was telling us how everyone is now deprived of Vitamin D because we're rarely outside and when we are, we have on sumblock. I've heard thsi before.

Here's my problem. I get so many mixed messages about what to take, that I'm always changing what I take and I'm sure that's not right.

What fish oil product doesn't make you burp a fish taste? I know I need to take that because heart disease is prevalent in Dad's family.

#165485 - 11/13/08 11:53 PM Re: Let's Talk Vitamins and Supplements [Re: Dotsie]
gims Offline

Meredith, I checked the Walmart site, and unless they carry it under a private label, I don't think we can buy it there. I was hoping not. I don't care for Walmart either, although I confess, I go there sometimes for convenience.

chick, you don't know how I envy you... if my sad and tired days would go away, I might not be searching so diligently. If you are feeling as well as you make it seem, I'd say not to worry. Realize I am not a professional... and that I'd prefer to refer you to one than to say, 'sure, take this or that.' Zero in aging parts - heart, bones, brain, and so forth, thinking of the future.

I'm waiting til after Sat.'s class to make my decisions, Dotsie. The instructor is going to go through each system of the body and explain how they support each other, what each needs to function, the best applications, etc. But, from Wed.'s class, I have added lutein to my supp. chest, for my eyes... and re-started HSN (a hair, skin and nails formula).
Sat., I'll be asking about and tuning in to find out more on ox bile, something Wed.'s instructor suggested to help me with the intermittent trouble I'm having digesting beef and chicken. I understand fully what you mean, dots, about the confusion. I'm hoping this class, and the consult with the iridologist will help me make better and necessary choices. I'm fed up with medical doctors... guess that's why I'm turning back to natural.
And, here's a link to the lemon flavored omegas that I'm taking... I only get a rare bad burp with them: Natrol Omega Complex

Again, I am not a professional. Not advising one thing or another... but, I think you can agree, we are not getting what we need in our food and water, or from our environment, as you so noted in your comment about Vit D and the sun, dots.
If anyone is seriously interested in this sort of thing, see if you can find the book Prescription for Nutritional Healing. It's been my nutritional reference for years... well worth the $$$s I gave for it years ago... not that you can't find any and all information you'll ever need by way of the internet.

#165540 - 11/14/08 04:16 PM Re: Let's Talk Vitamins and Supplements [Re: gims]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
gims, how did you learn abot the class, and who's teaching it? Just curious. It sounds great.

#165684 - 11/15/08 06:53 PM Re: Let's Talk Vitamins and Supplements [Re: jawjaw]
Sharonie Offline

Hi, everyone. Just joined. I'm a Registered Dietitian. I take 1,000 IU of vitamin D3, Centrum Silver, 1,000 mg fish oil, probiotic every day. As to the fish taste...keep trying until you find one you can tolerate. Actually, Costco brand is pretty good. It's really an important supplement for everyone. D3 should be mandatory. None of us gets enough sunshine (that's the way our bodies make vitamin D) and as we age our bodies are less able to make it so taking a supplement is extremely important. I take a probiotic (containing pre and probiotics) because I have read the science and I believe it is an important supplement to take for immunity, gut health and lots of other issues. The Centrum is just my little insurance pill. The research is a little iffy on taking vitamin E as a supplement. And vitamin C supplementation is a bit overrated. E, however, has been shown to be potentially unhealthy when taken as a supplement although the amount in a multi is okay. I believe one poster asked about Calcium and D...one of the roles of vitamin D is to help calcium be utilized by the body so, yes, very important. That's why milk has vitamin D added to it. But for all the other functions of D in the body, a supplement is truly necessary. Over supplementing can be a dangerous thing...especially if you are taking other medications. Supplements are medications. They are not without their dangers.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved