The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 155 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#165097 - 11/09/08 08:12 PM exercise & depression/tough times
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
I don't know if anyone here has ever considered their exericise as also helpful during times of personal tough times/depression. But certainly at different low periods in life over the last few..well..yea..almost 2 decades..cycling every day was helpful to me. It didn't solve big personal problems. (ie. finding a job).

But produced some daily endorphins, as exercise normally does and kept my motivation going. At least get me out of bed and out of the house temporarily.

Just the simple in-the-moment goal, to climb a small hill (and succeed doing it) and finish a ride, no matter how short or long, gave me the extra push to continue on in other areas of my life each day.

#165104 - 11/09/08 09:52 PM Re: exercise & depression/tough times [Re: orchid]
cyclinggal Offline

Loc: Arkansas
I used to be the business manager for a psychological clinic. When treating depression, the first thing prescribed was a regular regimen of exercise. In a lot of cases, anitdepressents were not needed. I can certainly say that during rough times in my life, exercise was a primary focus. I think one of the hardest things to overcome in starting an exercise program -- no may what it is -- is sticking with it long enough that it becames a habit and you realize you don't feel as good if you don't exercise.

#165124 - 11/10/08 12:41 AM Re: exercise & depression/tough times [Re: cyclinggal]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I hate exercising cyclinggal, but I also have to agree with your post. I always feel so much better when I have exercised. Its just getting started that sabotages me everytime.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#165132 - 11/10/08 01:23 AM Re: exercise & depression/tough times [Re: chatty lady]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Given my personality tendencies...which is a direct style of communication, my temperment (inheriting a slightly explosive temper at times from dear mama), and my introspective tendencies, I know that for myself, if I didn't exercise often enough....I would be a far angrier person --with a tremendous backache..from tension. 'Cause that is what truly what happens to me if I don't exercise for a long time.

#165171 - 11/10/08 03:31 PM Re: exercise & depression/tough times [Re: orchid]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
cyclinggal, I wish more doctors recommended exercise before prescribing. I know that in some cases, medication is needed. I've been there and done that after a car accident. However, I think regular exercise could be prescribed in some cases. Then come back and see me in a month.

Thanks to DD I'm back in action. I missed a month of waling when caring for two elderly loved ones who were in crisis. I knew I needed it most during that stressful period, but couldn't squeeze it in.

DD mentioned going out the door in the morning with her husband and it moved me to do the same. At first, he was dropping me off, but I decided to drive, and leave at the same time he leaves. I need soemthing to get me out the door and this is doing the trick.

I was trained on the weights last week and did my first weight work-out this morning. It definitely gives my mood a boost.

The only thing I don't like abot exercise is that it seems like the more you do, the more you have to do to amintain your weight.

I once walked a half hour five days a week. Never gained a pound. Lately, I've walked an hour and have been gaining weight. I know it has to do with perimenopause, but it's so unfair!

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved