The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 165 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#164470 - 11/03/08 08:03 PM Can you believe this person is a baby boomer?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland

One evening a grandson was talking to his grandfather about current events. The grandson asked his grandfather what he thought about the shootings at schools, th e computer age, and just things in general.

The Grandfather replied, 'Well, let me think a minute, I was born before:
television
>
penicillin
>
polio shots
>
frozen foods
>
Xerox
>
contact lenses
>
Frisbees and
>
the pill
>
There were no:
>
credit cards
>
laser beams or
>
ball-point pens
>
> an had not invented:
>
pantyhose
>
air conditioners
>
dishwashers
>
clothes dryers
>
and the clothes were hung out to dry in the fresh air and
>
man hadn't yet walked on the moon

Your Grandmother and I got married first, . . . And then lived together.

Every family had a father and a mother.

Until I was 25, I called every man older than me, 'Sir'.
And after I turned 25, I still called policemen and every man with a title,
'Sir.'
>
We were before gay-rights, computer- dating, dual careers, day-care centers, and group therapy.
>
Our lives were governed by the Ten Commandments, good judgment, and common sense.

We were taught to know the difference between right and wrong and to stand up and take responsibility for our actions.
>
Serving your country was a privilege; living in this country was a bigger privilege.
>
We thought fast food was what people ate during Lent.
>
Having a meaningful relationship meant getting along with your cousins.

Draft dodgers were people who closed their front doors when the evening breeze started.
>
Time-sharing meant time the family spent together in the evenings and weekends-not purchasing condominiums.
>
We never heard of FM radios, tape decks, CDs, electric typewriters, yogurt, or guys wearing earrings.
>
We listened to the Big Bands, Jack Benny, and the President's speeches on our radios.
>
And I don't ever remember any kid blowing his brains out listening to Tommy Dorsey.
>
If you saw anything with 'Made in Japan ' on it, it was junk
>
The term 'making out' referred to how you did on your school exam.
Pizza Hut, McDonald's, and instant coffee were unheard of.
>
We had 5 &10-cent stores where you could actually bu y things for 5 and 10 cents.
>
Ice-cream cones, phone calls, rides on a streetcar, and a Pepsi were all a nickel.
>
And if you didn't want to splurge, you could spend your nickel on enough stamps to mail 1 letter and 2 postcards.
>
You could buy a new Chevy Coupe for $600, . . But who could afford one?
Too bad, because gas was 11 cents a gallon.
>
In my day:

'grass' was mowed,
>
'coke' was a cold drink,
>
'pot' was something your mother cooked in and
'rock music' was your grandmother's lullaby.
>
'Aids' were helpers in the Principal's office,
>
'chip' meant a piece of wood,
>
'hardware' was found in a hardware store and
>
'software' wasn't even a word.
>
And we were the last generation to actually believe that a lady needed a husband to have a baby. No wonder people call us 'old and confused' and say there is a generation gap... And how old do you think I am?

I bet you have this old man in mind...you are in for a shock!
>
Read on to see -- pretty scary if you think about it and pretty sad at the same time.
>
Are you ready ?????
> This man would be only 59 years old.

I find this hard to believe. Anyone here 59 years-old?

#164472 - 11/03/08 08:18 PM Re: Can you believe this person is a baby boomer? [Re: Dotsie]
Edelweiss2 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
Yup. I'm 59 and it's all true. We heard Big Band music on our living room stereo, and I was a little girl when Elvis the Pelvis shocked our parents.

Ball point pens? I thought we had those, though. But I was there when everything else came out. I bet chatty can tell us even more. Really is amazing. Thanks for posting this Dotsie.

Those were the days my friends....

#164488 - 11/04/08 12:38 AM Re: Can you believe this person is a baby boomer? [Re: Edelweiss2]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
He and you are a mere whipper-snapper Edelweiss, compared to some of us crusty old gals!!!!!

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#164492 - 11/04/08 01:10 AM Re: Can you believe this person is a baby boomer? [Re: chatty lady]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
crusty?... chatty, what a word! lolololololol
I'll be using that one!!!

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved