The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 171 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#163944 - 10/28/08 05:32 PM How little can you spend in one week?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I read an article in a magazine last month (can't recall which one) and the author tried to see how little he could spend in one week. I was amazed, and wondered if I could take the challenge. If I did it, I'd like to pick the week, pay for things in advance, or later, and then maybe I'd do it. Oh, I don't think that's what it's all about. wink

Anyone want to take the challenge and report? It sounds like a good idea, but if I'm doing it, it needs to be before the holidays approach.

#163945 - 10/28/08 05:34 PM Re: How little can you spend in one week? [Re: Dotsie]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Can't start today, that's for sure! We just got a new fridge and I have to go to the store this afternoon and stock up.

Dotsie, I think I read that too - - didn't he do it for a month? Or maybe what I read was for a year? Anyway, it was harder than he thought, but he managed to survive.

#163948 - 10/28/08 05:52 PM Re: How little can you spend in one week? [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I TRY to do this every week and I spend very little.

Seems most weeks (since I work from home) don't involve spending money on things I HAVE to have..but things I want...mostly ingredients for cooking something.

I could take this challenge pretty easily, I'm thinking...so I would not be a good one to test it.

#163952 - 10/28/08 05:58 PM Re: How little can you spend in one week? [Re: jawjaw]
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
OMG, I'm the one who should take the challange! I spend way too much! Can I do it? Let's see, I could start on a Monday and see how I could save money. I need to spend money but I can cut it down and see how I fare.

Wow, this could be HARD for me, no question.

Dancer, good idea!

"Question your privilege"

#163995 - 10/29/08 06:01 AM Re: How little can you spend in one week? [Re: dancer9]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
I think I have tried this for real ..when I was unemployed for 18 months...a few years ago. It was tough..because I started to obsess about just buying a cup of coffee. I think I bought myself a pair of leather, tie-up shoes ..and a dress jacket...in terms of clothing within that time period. Oh yea, forgot about the pair of running shoes also. Very practical pieces of clothing. Thank goodness I already have a sizable wardrobe..but not necessarily the most fashionable.

Oh yea, I forgot..I had to get a haircut.

The reality was I had no interest in dipping into my savings big time during that time period. That is for the future when I get old and frail.

#164004 - 10/29/08 01:19 PM Re: How little can you spend in one week? [Re: orchid]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Does the "not spending" include bills?

#164018 - 10/29/08 02:55 PM Re: How little can you spend in one week? [Re: jawjaw]
MustangGal
Unregistered

I've been car pooling and bringing lunch every other day, thus on the days I don't drive and bring lunch I feel a bit enlightened for not having spent any moola!

#164039 - 10/29/08 09:05 PM Re: How little can you spend in one week? [Re: ]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
I live like that for the most part. For me, the challenge is going out and spending!

Poet and essayist

#164180 - 10/30/08 11:30 PM Re: How little can you spend in one week? [Re: meredithbead]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I doubt it would not include your bills because you have to pay them and for only a week that doesn't make sense. Now if doing this for a year maybe one could cut back on the bills in some way. And not make any new ones.

I too am not a good one for this challenge as I too work from home and rarely need to spend on much except postage and food stuffs. I usually make and eat meals at home. No clothes to buy, rarely any gas for a car that rarely moves. Plus even when it does, everything I need or want is within a five mile radius of my home. Remember I'm the one who drives a 2002 car with only 6,008 miles on it. I also jump on my bike for shorter journeys.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#164441 - 11/03/08 04:54 PM Re: How little can you spend in one week? [Re: chatty lady]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Okay, the article I read was in Real Simple magazine. I fished around on their site to see if I could find a link, but I couldn't. It may have been in the October issue. Anyway, the guy didn't spend money for one week, and it was all on incidental type things. It didn't include his bills.

Is anyone up for the challenge?

I'm not doing it, but am certainly thinking more about what I'm spending.

Dancer, sounds like DD, and you and I should take it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved