The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 150 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#163222 - 10/19/08 07:29 PM A few things for fall...:0
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
To give ideas on what you might need/ or want, for fall, here are some "always works," or "no brainers," that work for fall.
If anyone needs to find something, and needs a place to find it, let me know and I'll stay in your price point and find it on line!

A shirt with a large collar or bow tie. A blouse in a colour you can wear with anything.

over sized tote in blk or brn, so you don't have to carry all those store purchases and waster bags and go in style. It pays to invest in a nice leather, go-with-everything, bag that is oversized

a blk or brn, depending on your wardrobe, long sleeved light sweater or T, with a long bottom as well. It should tuck in to pants or hang over them easily.

cover up, a good one, for dark eye circles or blotches, formula's change yearly.

a cardigan is new again. Belted or not belted and in a complimentary colour to your wardrobe but not always blk or brn. It could be mulberry or a deep plum for example,

tall boot. Blk, brn, or blk and brown in one high boot. New boots make the season for you.

an off shoulder dress is classic but especially "in," this year. If you buy a classic off shoulder dress, you can wear it forever. There will be many in stores.

brown and an ecru highlight eyeshadow.
These colors look good on everyone and are available in ever price range. Use the brown in the crease of the eye and the highlight on your brow. Post for other ideas for these colours.

Double breasted blazers look very new but classic this season. Just an idea. As I posted, a new blazer would be excellent to buy this fall.

Best to all,
Dancer, spreading fashion again

"Question your privilege"

#163249 - 10/19/08 11:35 PM Re: A few things for fall...:0 [Re: dancer9]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
U-HUMMM, may I add that you all need now is a warm, cozy and very stylish Poncho. And as fate would have it, I know where you can get one. If you need proof of their perfection, just ask our own Dotsie...

My name is Chatty and I approve this message

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#163288 - 10/20/08 02:29 PM Re: A few things for fall...:0 [Re: chatty lady]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Bawhahahah...I love the humor here, Chatty....I can attest to your quality of work. It's beautiful and done with love. You can feel it!

#163314 - 10/20/08 05:23 PM Re: A few things for fall...:0 [Re: jawjaw]
greene Offline

Loc: Atlanta,Georgia
Dancer, I love reading your hints. I am totally out of it as to style. I spent most of my adult life weinging 280-290 and my wardrobe was black pants and a big blousy shirt. My hubby even pointed out to me that now I can wear something besides black so I am trying to spread my wings a little. But, since I have no exerience at even looking at 'fashion' I'm pretty clueless and your notes are really helpful! Thanks

#163433 - 10/21/08 08:33 PM Re: A few things for fall...:0 [Re: greene]
dancer9 Offline

Thank you so much, Greene! I'm so happy that someone is getting something out of my posts!
Congratulations on being able to pick any style you want! What sorts of styles have caught your eye? It is a great thing, isn't it, when we can get creative with what we wear?

Warm regards, Greene,
Dancer

#163470 - 10/22/08 08:40 AM Re: A few things for fall...:0 [Re: dancer9]
Mountain Ash Offline

Dancer
we have a good TV show. TWIGGY model and actress invites women with a story to exchange dresses. Personalities gift dresses and the women vote for who should have a certain dress.
Famous designers attend and offer prizes.
Last show was where a lovrly lady had an alteration to a deep v of her own evening dress due to her double masectomy .She loved the dress before and after and drew parrerals betwen her former self and new self..we were all crying..in my room and on the show such was the emotion.

Fashion is a way of creating ourselves..and way high on self esteme priorities.so keep the ideas going.

Personally I think proportion matters..lenghth of skirt and suitable tights/ shoes..for the outfit.any photographs of me look better when I am streamlined and v necks with long scarves definately enhance.
I have many scarves and using the right ones can make such a difference.What I wear now is my own style bringing in this years colour but never cat walk style.
Gifts of Baltic amber beads and heavily set pendants give me my signature..
my dream would be to have a custom pattern made by a designer for a v neck dress to my spec. and easily run up in fabrics of my choice.I can sew but we have a shop with a skilled seamstress .
one day ...if I meet the pattern maker who understands my dream.

Mountain ash

#163523 - 10/22/08 10:00 PM Re: A few things for fall...:0 [Re: Mountain Ash]
dancer9 Offline

Thanks for reading, Mountain Ash!
I watch the BBC more often than America television.
The Twiggy show I've heard, is outstanding. How nice that sounds and you are right, clothing can be important in so many ways, as you have illustated!

I can picture the look you are taking about. Do you wear a long skirt on dresses and skirts or a shorter one? I LOVE Amber and Pendants are my own favorite statement as well! Your style sounds most excellent.

You can find a seamstress who will sew your signiture dresses if you try, I'm sure and what a good idea! You could pick your own fabric and make changes in the design as you see fit so long as the seamstress has talent! In Europe, I notice that more women are likely to have signiture looks and also go to seamstresses more often. I, myself, use a seamstress a lot!

You make a good point for other women who have a certain type of dress they prefer and cannot find often enough.

Again, thanks for reading, it's nice to know that some enjoy these posts.

If you come back here, do you wear dark colours or light? I'm trying to picture you! How do you wear your hair?

Best,
Dancer

#163548 - 10/23/08 01:36 AM Re: A few things for fall...:0 [Re: dancer9]
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
Mountain Ash,
I so agree about proportion-- gotta take the whole body into consideration. our signature style sounds very dramatic. I have a look, but don't know if I'd call it "signature." That sounds very special.

Dancer, I always like reading your tips, even though I'm not always sure I can make them work for me.

Dancer, I think I mostly wear dark and saturated rich colors, like teal, red, purple, chocolate, magenta, chartreuse (I guess that's sort of light, but it's more bright than light). I wear jeans a lot -- blue jeans, and also black, brown, and cords). And skirts just at or below the knee. A few years ago I found some mid-calf length skirts of really nice nubby fabric that I loved. And I wear dangly earring a lot, that I buy at craft shows from local craftspeople. I also have pendants I love, but don't like to wear them with earrings -- I think the earrings brighten up my face, but with necklaces it seems too overpowering. And sweaters, especially cardigans, with interesting buttons -- I have a new sweater that's a sort of turquoise and brown mix, with a zipper (a double zipper, with two "zips" on it). I like tops that are mostly fitted, like with darts. I don't like boxy-looking clothes, but ones that fit well...so I wish I knew a decent seamstress!

I used to make _all_ my own clothes. When I was a teenager, I made clothes out of curtains, tablecloths, bedspreads, sheets, and even cut up the full skirts from my mom's old dresses and made them into mini-dresses) using my own designs and patterns. When I lived in Italy, I had two friends who wanted us to start a shop together and make and sell "American" clothes but it didn't materialize (no pun intended!) In Italy, I used to make purses, hats, vests and even ottomons out of leather.

But then it got to be more expensive to sew (and knit -- I used to love to knit and crochet too) than to buy clothes...I haven't found any good seamstresses around here. The last one I sent to was very untalented and pretty much ruined a few of my clothes. I think more than anything, I like interesting fabric. In the past few years we've seen more linen, for example.

#163592 - 10/23/08 04:36 PM Re: A few things for fall...:0 [Re: DJ]
Mountain Ash Offline

The seamstress here works with another but my lady was a senior machienist for MARKS AND SPENCER.until the company started using suppliers from out East.These ladies bought the factory machines and started doing bridal/prom/evening and boy they are superb.
My lady could not make a pattern..thats not her skill but even having trousers shortened she is so good.she is a star.
Know what you mean about jewellry. I put one on today then took it off..was going to the city..lunch and an appointment and earrings were all I needed.
Texture really matters..linen...and fine woollens.layered. Daughter brought paminas from CHINA..But cheaper are lovely too.

I bought a beret today..it has aplacae flowers so it will either be admired or ignored !! Whatever my head will be warm.

I too have remade clothes from fabric..so we have that in common.
Mountain ash

#163593 - 10/23/08 04:40 PM Re: A few things for fall...:0 [Re: Mountain Ash]
Mountain Ash Offline

My beret is red..and I do wear purple..

Warning

When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
With a red hat which doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
And satin sandals, and say we've no money for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired
And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
And run my stick along the public railings
And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
And pick flowers in other people's gardens
And learn to spit.

You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat
And eat three pounds of sausages at a go
Or only bread and pickle for a week
And hoard pens and pencils and beermats and things in boxes.

But now we must have clothes that keep us dry
And pay our rent and not swear in the street
And set a good example for the children.
We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.

But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.

Jenny Joseph

#163604 - 10/23/08 06:16 PM Re: A few things for fall...:0 [Re: Mountain Ash]
JackieG Offline

LOL - Mountain Ash

Was I supposed to wait for old age to do this stuff?, cause I'm having too much fun to stop now... LOL

#163609 - 10/23/08 07:28 PM Re: A few things for fall...:0 [Re: JackieG]
Mountain Ash Offline

Jackie see you at the red hat club.

Dancer I wear dark olive greens.. one dark red jacket.have navy and black long skirts..couple of plaid skirts.
Black trousers.several really long knitted cardigans..
always strong colours for blouses and long sleeve tshirts.
my winter coat is dark brown..
wear thick coloured tights in same shade of whatever shoes..and outfit.PREDICTABLE ME.

and UNDERWEARMAVEN...AND I could have been twins as little girls..you could have knocked me over with a feather when I saw her picture.thought she had been in my desk.

Then in the garden..pull on hat..rose patterned wellingtons old baggy trousers...fleece zip up.rubber gloves

Mountain ash

#163645 - 10/24/08 01:29 AM Re: A few things for fall...:0 [Re: Mountain Ash]
dancer9 Offline

Hi Dotsie,Mountain Ash,
Dotsie, it seems you are not afraid of colour and are the "type," to embrace colour.

Did you know that each colour gives a certain "vibe," off to people who see you? Your red says "power," and "strengh," and can even scare some people. To wear red is to be sure of who you are. To wear green is to make others comfortable and cause very little stress. The two are very different in the eye of the beholder. A person who wears black often is somewhat closed and keeps unto themselves, OR, the are saying "power," if it's in the form of ALL blac, like a suit. A black suit or dress says "look at me," and gives off the impression that the wearer is in control of themselves. It is said that black helps you keep your energy within you and saves it for you.

Let's take the example of Sarah Palin:
She wears red a lot and black suits. She is putting off a "power" message and when she wears black she is also protecting herself, stay safe. You can tell much about a person by their clothing. The expense of Sarahs clothing tells us that she is out to impress but is not very confident in her "look."

Not that I am saying I am prefering any one over the other.

When you look at Michelle Obama, for example, she did the show "The Voice," in a dress that retails for 148.00. it was black and white. That says "safe," like she wanted to play it safe, and it told us that she is confident in her body and her message. (Whether we like the message or not.)

A blue suit says " I am like every man/woman." and Hillary was the master of the blue suit.

( I am using canidates because they are seen so often.)

Obama's black suits with the new slim tailoring say that he keeps much in and that he is confident in his "look." Black keeps other's out, their energy does not get in, so it protects him, he probably knows this.

How do I know? I did SO much runway. By the time I was 23 I had done about 150 runways shows because I counted. They like the way a dancer walks so they will us us.

More soon, thanks for the answers and discussion. I'm really glad that these posts do count to even a few. I think what we put on our bodies is important. We ARE sayings something about ourselves no matter WHAT we wear! We even choose the colour of our sweat shirts!

Again, more, soon, I was at the hospital working today!

Dancer

#163646 - 10/24/08 01:32 AM Re: A few things for fall...:0 [Re: dancer9]
dancer9 Offline

Mountain Ash,
You are so wonderfully English in how you dress and it fits you! I love the image of you in the clothing you describe. Having a "style," a "look," shows great confidence and self knowledge. Not every women develops a style. A style is where the fun starts. You can do it on your own or get some help to get a style.
Marks and Spencer!! What I wouldn't give to them tailor a few coats for me!

Dotsie, Mountain ash, or everyone,
What do you wear for a coat? What is the style of it? Since this year is the year for coats and blazers, what do you like?

More soon,
Dancer

#163647 - 10/24/08 01:46 AM Re: A few things for fall...:0 [Re: dancer9]
dancer9 Offline

Dotsie,
When you describe how you wear jewelry, you might be a person that jewelry takes AWAY your natural beauty because you don't NEED the necklaces.

Often on the runway they will not put jewelry on a girl who the jewelry takes AWAY from them instead of adds to them. It is said that they don't "need," the jewelry.

Dancer

#163661 - 10/24/08 08:06 AM Re: A few things for fall...:0 [Re: dancer9]
Mountain Ash Offline

Coat...I have a dark brown long cashmere coat..it covers all my long skirts and is also nice with tousers.
This year I went to TKMAX a discount designer shop and bought a BOILED WOOL three quarter unlined coat.It is Italian and a quarter of the price of a similar coat I saw in the city yesterday.The style allows me a layer of warmth (really cosy)without being overheated in department stores.I find as long as it not wet this is the item I pop on.It revamped my wardrobe..Funny how one item can draw every thing together.A lucky find.

I also have a really long dark claret waterproof with shoulder cape...very Jane Austen it is essential in this climate when I have to go out in rain.Its what others wear to walk their dogs..
and a black raincoat ankle length with velvet inset at neck and cuffs in olive green.smart.. years old worn to funerals..and communion at church.never lets me down I shall keep it until I am EIGHTY ..or over.
seems I have a lot..but I am careful and attend to my clothes. and things last..

#163662 - 10/24/08 08:19 AM Re: A few things for fall...:0 [Re: Mountain Ash]
Mountain Ash Offline

Listen ...whispering from my closet
My clothes are softly sharing
How they felt
When last I wore them

I questioned earlier…found answers
Have come to a soft place to rest
Become who I choose to be
Put behind me needless angst
Mountain ash

#163664 - 10/24/08 12:17 PM Re: A few things for fall...:0 [Re: Mountain Ash]
DJ Offline

We have so many seasons here so I have various coats and jackets. The in-between seasons are the toughest. I have a leather 3/4 length brown leather jacket with a zip-out pile lining (that's for the really cold weather), a long, black raincoat with a hood, also with a zip-out pile lining, a long black wool coat, no buttons, but it has a tie I never use. Yesterday I wore a jacket from Guatemala, with the front all embroidered. Dancer, do you need a coat in Arizona? I guess at night it gets cold, huh? Mountain Ash, I love how that Italian coat sounds. We have a designer discount store called TJ Max -- wonder if it's related to yours?

Speaking of discounts and knock-offs, I was just reading about how they spent $150,000 on Sarah Palin's and her family's wardrobe. The editor of Glamour magazine said that, looking at before and after photos of the types of suits Palin prefers, she didn't understand how they could've spent that much, and that she could've saved them a lot of money.

#163691 - 10/24/08 08:22 PM Re: A few things for fall...:0 [Re: DJ]
dancer9 Offline

Mountain Ash,
Your new Car Coat sounds great! (middle of the calf length is a Car coat... I LOVE the way they look and they add an amount of class to pants every time! Great buy.

What you say is key: To take care of our classics and they can last forever.

Never over wash an item and don't wash it unless you honestly got it dirty. If it has a spot, wash the SPOT, not the whole thing, whether it is a dress or coat, or anything! You know that, I'm sure, Mountain Ash, being in Europe, and Italian brands are usually the best, especially with coats.

Dry cleaning can destroy fabric and is bad for the environment. We should reduce our drycleaning by spot cleaning and using an over the counter drycleaning kit to freshen.

Mountain Ash, your wardrobe sounds as if you've given it the thought it deserves and your taste sounds impeccable! I've enjoyed hearing about peices you like so much.

What are your favorite shoes?

These days, Europe is coming the the U.S. to purchase high end clothing because our dollar is so weak. You are in a good position there, Mountain Ash!

DJ,
Sarah Palin's wardrobe could have been had for SO much less. As I said in an earlier post, she did by classics and classics are made in any price range.

Then again, if we look to her purchases in Alaska, she has the taste to go to Niemans and also, she must donate the clothes after the campaign or pay gift taxes on it. Also, I think I posted, that Michelle Obama did "The View," in a 149.00 dress! THAT is good thinking.

I always say: Spend the money on your shoes, your hair, and your coat or jacket and the "fashion hounds," will judge you well dressed. Sarah Palin had decided not to wear anything twice, as I've observed thus far in her campaign. When she makes a statement that takes hold of the press, she is either in black or red. That is planned, to the color, the kind of clothing, and her hair is done in the same manner.

Imagine how easy it is for the Obama's to have their hair done if it is not processed or over processes. I believe their style is great, I personally find Sarah Palin's style very 'beauty queen," and that's what she was so that's how she stays.
She would be one to wear sequins to a formal event if not advised.

What do you surmise, DJ, by the way the canidates dress? You are educated in Media so I know you have thoughts.

Ms. Palin's outfit for her son Trig cost 98.00 for one appearance. I guess the children fall into the need to be dressed differently.

You know, DJ, there is a "Palin," uniform now for her fans! It includes denium, "lumber jack," shirts, boots by CAT or such companies, and she is aware of this uniform and encourages it when she speaks to small crowds of her male fans.

Some people spend all day studying the clothing of such people and making conclusions. You'd be surprised how much they can glean from a wardrobe choice!

One only needs to watch "The Devil Wears Prada," and listen to a few speeches by Meryl Streep to find out how much they influence our lives. *clothes*)

It's very rare, DJ, to need a coat in Arizona, a sweater will do unless you are out late at night and in the few months the weather really drops. Of course I have a full collection of coats anyway because I travel and I love them as well! I also make sure to spend a lot on my boots so they last the five years they are supposed to.

No, I don't own western boots anymore. I threw them out with the trend. LOL.

Thank you for writing!

Dancer

#163693 - 10/24/08 08:27 PM Re: A few things for fall...:0 [Re: dancer9]
dancer9 Offline

To add,
Sarah Palin is wearing some American designers such as Oscar de la Renta. This sort of designer is high priced.

Other designers with more reasonalbe prices for the same styles are Donna Karan and even more inexpensive is the chain "Ann Taylor," which sells those classic suits and such for a LOT less money.

Hillary Clinton was almost exclusively dressed by Donna Karan. Her clothes are reasonable and women-friendly.

Obama has tailored suits but they are not hugely expensive. For who he is, they are well within the expected range. These male canidates spend a lot on suits. It is the STYLE Obama wears and the fabric he choses that can make him look "sleek," or dressed in more money.

Dancer

#163706 - 10/24/08 09:46 PM Re: A few things for fall...:0 [Re: Cookie]
Mountain Ash Offline

Many people here and world wide discussed the late Princess of Wales (Diana's ) clothes and of course Cherie Blair's fashion and spend on this was covered so much in our media.Wheras our present Prime Minister Gordon Brown's wife Sarah is better known for her work for children who die in early childhood.Sarah was in my area yesterday campaigning wearing much the same as myself..nothing special but she is a different type of person from Cherie Blair.
Jackie Kennedy was so photogenic and wore such wonderful clothes..I even wore a pillbox hat to a cousin's wedding.
mainstream women will always remark on those they see photographed.
Mountain ash

#163712 - 10/24/08 10:40 PM Re: A few things for fall...:0 [Re: Mountain Ash]
dancer9 Offline

Cookie, for goodness sake! The election is so close that all you see are these people! What is wrong with discussing them anyway?
I did not know the election was off limits and in fact, I'm told it is not. If you have something to add, which you did on the price of Obama's suits, thank you! I'll not stifle myself because of one or two posts that people choose to get personal on!

Mountain Ash,

Yes, Diana was amazing in her taste! I never saw her look bad! She had the very best to help her but her taste is what prevailed regarding her wardrobe! She studied dance well into adulthood, did you know that? I liked her very much. How did you feel about her image?

I have not seen the current prime minister's wife so I cannot comment on her wardrobe.

Jackie Kennedy was also a women of impeccable taste! She was, early on, scolded for wearing French designers so she had the French styles "knocked off," by American designers so she could wear them! Very smart, Jackie O. I am told that she photographed not near as beautiful as she was in real life. As far as I know, her sister is still alive. Both women had great taste. I feel Jackie, much like Diana, the princess, had bold ideas for their image and bravely dressed as they saw fit. I admire that.

You sound, Mountain Ash, like you are also that type of woman. You sound like you know your style and wear it no matter what trend my appear! You descibe peices that seem in great taste!

My best,
Dancer

#163713 - 10/24/08 10:48 PM Re: A few things for fall...:0 [Re: dancer9]
Mountain Ash Offline

Must say that the Irish designers who have such wonderful woollens and linens to work with catch my eye.the weaves are to dye for..GOT IT?
The colleges there are turning out creative dedigners.There is a shop in a town I visit where they stock a collection.Alas beyond my price but lovely to look at.
Maeve Binchey an author (IRISH) wears same dress style remade over again but its the cut..and Maeve is large and regal.so does Judy Dench and her flowing scarves make her stand out..
Mountain ash

#163719 - 10/24/08 11:55 PM Re: A few things for fall...:0 [Re: Mountain Ash]
DJ Offline

Dancer, where do you go for your fashion information?

Got, it Mountain Ash! and it's true on both levels. There's an Irish import store in Annapolis, MD, not far from here. Their fabrics are absolutely gorgeous -- every single one of them. The wools are incredible lush colors, the weaves are inventive, the cuts are beautiful. Of course, it's all way too expensive for me -- even on sale, but I always stop in and look. Maybe some day...How come no one else can be so creative with wool?
Every winter there's a craft show in town - the American Craft Council show. I'm noticing that each year they have more and more designers making clothes and weaving fabrics, and hand painting, knitting, etc. It's all very elegant, high-end, beautifully designed stuff. It's made it impossible for me to shop, pretty much, because every store I go to I compare with this handmade stuff. I won't even set foot in so many stores any more.

Anyway, We always go, and usually I try to get something like a pewter serving spoon, some earrings, a vase. My husband gets hand painted silk ties every year from a designer who lives in Washington state.

But my point was going to be this: that for me, it's all about the texture of the fabric.

#163731 - 10/25/08 08:40 AM Re: A few things for fall...:0 [Re: DJ]
Mountain Ash Offline

Th landscape my dear.
The Celt has soul...earned and honed by starvation and blight.Persecution for religeous belief..used by rich landowners.
and where else to go then is there but
CREATIVITY
the music.. the weavers and that started as a cottage industry
In Scotland also the Shetland/Orkney weavers have a similar ethos.People here left for the New World when their roof were burned to evict them.Our history is bloody.

The Irish use words lyricly even when speaking .
when all else is taken what is held within surfaces.
These Irish designers are special. Their lecturers must hold the key too.

Mountain ash

#163733 - 10/25/08 10:50 AM Re: A few things for fall...:0 [Re: Mountain Ash]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
dancer, you mention wearing color. In the warmer months, I'll wear hot pink and turquiose. They're two colors I just love. Warmer months I wear black, brown, olive green, with white shirts thrown in here and there.

Like DJ, I have many different jackets and coats because throughout the year, we have temps from zip to 100. Right now I'm wearing a fleece that's a shade of purple, with black trim because I'm going to work-out.

You mentioned boots. I was all over NYC last weekend looking for boots and came up empty handed. I can't seem to find something like a riding boot with a little bit of a heel, that's comfortable. I must have funky feet because I tried on about 20 different boots. Shoes have to be comfortable because I love to walk and don't want to change into walking shoes whenever I want to walk. Maybe I'm being too picky?

DJ. there's an excellent seamstress right after you pass the Towson Circle. It's in the little shopping center on the left that has the Post Man Plus and the nail shop. I can't think of the name of it. Go figure. She has pattern books on the tables in the front of her store so I'm sure you creates whatever you like. She is forever hemming stuff for my daughter. She's done school uniforms, jeans, pants, prom dresses, etc. She's a delightful woman.

#163738 - 10/25/08 11:35 AM Re: A few things for fall...:0 [Re: Dotsie]
DJ Offline

Mountain Ash -- that's so beautiful what you say about the Celt having soul. Where are you in Britain? I have ancestors from Wales and Scotland (Scots-Irish). Maybe England, but we're not sure.

Hey Dotsie -- if the clock is correct on this thing, looks like we're up at the same time. We should take up our mile (and a half?) early morning walk again. Since I canceled the Sun paper a month or so ago, my routine is messed up -- that newspaper got so bad I couldn't stand it any more, but now, what to do...
Anyway, thanks for the tip about the seamstress. The last one I used was an Italian couple in Catonsville that I read about in Balt Mag as the "Best" but she actually ruined a couple of things. I had some jackets made of some really nice, heavy linen but they were too boxy and I wanted them more fitted. She made the sleeves too short. If I had the time and a room where the sewing machine was always set up, I might have done it myself and done a better job.

I used to have a problem with my shoes and my left second toe -- it always hurt and I always bought shoes that were super comfortable. I tried everything to help that toe (including surgery which didn't help at all and probably was detrimental). Finally I went to a physical therapist who said that my left toe hurt because of my right hip that was out of line. hmmm. So a friend of mine recommended a specialist in the Alexander technique who works with the dance troupe at Towson U. She made me kind of re-learn how to walk according to that technique. Amazing. I was self-conscious about walking for a while because it seemed so forced and artificial, like I was marching with my knees too high or something (though no one actually noticed) but no more toe pain. Dotsie, you might look into that, especially because of your knees.

PS -- I always thought I had a long second toe. And it is longer than the big toe. But actually it's not that the toe is longer, but that the bone to the big toe is shorter. It's called "Murphy's short toe" and about 25% of the population has it. Anyone with toes like that is bound to have some kind of foot problems because at some point the foot bones spread apart. Our bodies are so frigging complicated. Who knew!?

Edited by DJ (10/25/08 11:38 AM)

#163750 - 10/25/08 02:39 PM Re: A few things for fall...:0 [Re: DJ]
Mountain Ash Offline

Well DJ
since you like the CELTS...Why not love your Murphy's toe.

#163752 - 10/25/08 03:24 PM Re: A few things for fall...:0 [Re: Mountain Ash]
DJ Offline

Ha! -- is that where I got it from?
Ok -- I LOVE my Murphy's toe. Always have. My mother told me it's a sign of intelligence!

#163766 - 10/25/08 07:22 PM Re: A few things for fall...:0 [Re: DJ]
dancer9 Offline

Hi DJ,
I got my fashion experience by being a runway model/dancer for a LOT of shows. After the shows, you can tune into industry websites and get industry magazines to tell you what's what for each season, which designer is being replaced, who knows who and who is "hot." I love cloting, my mother dressed me in designer wear as a child so naturally I grew up loving fashion. I still do. I think what we wear is an extention of ourselves!

Ah, Irish lace, Mountain Ash! I had my wedding gown done with a LOT of Irish lace, it was beautiful. Perhaps I'll post a photo of it! You are right about the Irish, both of you, it's the soul they put into their work. You could say that about most of Europe but it's my belief that Irish lace is the best. Irish wool is great too and Ralph Laren uses a lot of it in his sweaters and dresses.

Dotsie, for fashion and comfort, you cannot beat Clergerie boots.

http://couture.zappos.com/n/es/d/722110927/order_by/price_asc/show_all/1/size/9/page/1/bar/1.html

Even if you get a pair on sale, (they can get a bit expensive,) they are the best I am trying to give you the best. If you desire a lower price range, just specify and I'll give you some lower lines that specialize in comfort as well.
Robert Clergerie shoes and boots are made for comfort and for the woman who invests in her clothing. They are French. French shoes can run slim but Clergerie do not. That is Cler - jer - e, for pronunciation.

D.J., since dancers are obsessed with their toes, and need a certain kind of toe to go un pointe, they have their lore too. A longer second toe is supposed to signify intelligence. I bet your mother knew that! She was right in your case, non?

Mountain Ash, I could talk fabric and clothing with you all day! You put things so beautifully! I wish we lived on the same land!

I can tell you all where to get about anything and if I can't I can ask a friend. I do a lot of locating things for my friends and even buy their wardrobes for a few. (Their money, of course.)

Dotsie, your purple is a good touch for working out, congratulations! I can tell you have good taste though, it has shown through.

On to my next post. I got some news this morning about clothing and fashion so I'll put it right here!

Warning: Mention of Palin in next post, purely innocent. lol.

Dancer

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved