The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 150 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#163222 - 10/19/08 07:29 PM A few things for fall...:0
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
To give ideas on what you might need/ or want, for fall, here are some "always works," or "no brainers," that work for fall.
If anyone needs to find something, and needs a place to find it, let me know and I'll stay in your price point and find it on line!

A shirt with a large collar or bow tie. A blouse in a colour you can wear with anything.

over sized tote in blk or brn, so you don't have to carry all those store purchases and waster bags and go in style. It pays to invest in a nice leather, go-with-everything, bag that is oversized

a blk or brn, depending on your wardrobe, long sleeved light sweater or T, with a long bottom as well. It should tuck in to pants or hang over them easily.

cover up, a good one, for dark eye circles or blotches, formula's change yearly.

a cardigan is new again. Belted or not belted and in a complimentary colour to your wardrobe but not always blk or brn. It could be mulberry or a deep plum for example,

tall boot. Blk, brn, or blk and brown in one high boot. New boots make the season for you.

an off shoulder dress is classic but especially "in," this year. If you buy a classic off shoulder dress, you can wear it forever. There will be many in stores.

brown and an ecru highlight eyeshadow.
These colors look good on everyone and are available in ever price range. Use the brown in the crease of the eye and the highlight on your brow. Post for other ideas for these colours.

Double breasted blazers look very new but classic this season. Just an idea. As I posted, a new blazer would be excellent to buy this fall.

Best to all,
Dancer, spreading fashion again

"Question your privilege"

#163249 - 10/19/08 11:35 PM Re: A few things for fall...:0 [Re: dancer9]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
U-HUMMM, may I add that you all need now is a warm, cozy and very stylish Poncho. And as fate would have it, I know where you can get one. If you need proof of their perfection, just ask our own Dotsie...

My name is Chatty and I approve this message

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#163288 - 10/20/08 02:29 PM Re: A few things for fall...:0 [Re: chatty lady]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Bawhahahah...I love the humor here, Chatty....I can attest to your quality of work. It's beautiful and done with love. You can feel it!

#163314 - 10/20/08 05:23 PM Re: A few things for fall...:0 [Re: jawjaw]
greene Offline

Loc: Atlanta,Georgia
Dancer, I love reading your hints. I am totally out of it as to style. I spent most of my adult life weinging 280-290 and my wardrobe was black pants and a big blousy shirt. My hubby even pointed out to me that now I can wear something besides black so I am trying to spread my wings a little. But, since I have no exerience at even looking at 'fashion' I'm pretty clueless and your notes are really helpful! Thanks

#163433 - 10/21/08 08:33 PM Re: A few things for fall...:0 [Re: greene]
dancer9 Offline

Thank you so much, Greene! I'm so happy that someone is getting something out of my posts!
Congratulations on being able to pick any style you want! What sorts of styles have caught your eye? It is a great thing, isn't it, when we can get creative with what we wear?

Warm regards, Greene,
Dancer

#163470 - 10/22/08 08:40 AM Re: A few things for fall...:0 [Re: dancer9]
Mountain Ash Offline

Dancer
we have a good TV show. TWIGGY model and actress invites women with a story to exchange dresses. Personalities gift dresses and the women vote for who should have a certain dress.
Famous designers attend and offer prizes.
Last show was where a lovrly lady had an alteration to a deep v of her own evening dress due to her double masectomy .She loved the dress before and after and drew parrerals betwen her former self and new self..we were all crying..in my room and on the show such was the emotion.

Fashion is a way of creating ourselves..and way high on self esteme priorities.so keep the ideas going.

Personally I think proportion matters..lenghth of skirt and suitable tights/ shoes..for the outfit.any photographs of me look better when I am streamlined and v necks with long scarves definately enhance.
I have many scarves and using the right ones can make such a difference.What I wear now is my own style bringing in this years colour but never cat walk style.
Gifts of Baltic amber beads and heavily set pendants give me my signature..
my dream would be to have a custom pattern made by a designer for a v neck dress to my spec. and easily run up in fabrics of my choice.I can sew but we have a shop with a skilled seamstress .
one day ...if I meet the pattern maker who understands my dream.

Mountain ash

#163523 - 10/22/08 10:00 PM Re: A few things for fall...:0 [Re: Mountain Ash]
dancer9 Offline

Thanks for reading, Mountain Ash!
I watch the BBC more often than America television.
The Twiggy show I've heard, is outstanding. How nice that sounds and you are right, clothing can be important in so many ways, as you have illustated!

I can picture the look you are taking about. Do you wear a long skirt on dresses and skirts or a shorter one? I LOVE Amber and Pendants are my own favorite statement as well! Your style sounds most excellent.

You can find a seamstress who will sew your signiture dresses if you try, I'm sure and what a good idea! You could pick your own fabric and make changes in the design as you see fit so long as the seamstress has talent! In Europe, I notice that more women are likely to have signiture looks and also go to seamstresses more often. I, myself, use a seamstress a lot!

You make a good point for other women who have a certain type of dress they prefer and cannot find often enough.

Again, thanks for reading, it's nice to know that some enjoy these posts.

If you come back here, do you wear dark colours or light? I'm trying to picture you! How do you wear your hair?

Best,
Dancer

#163548 - 10/23/08 01:36 AM Re: A few things for fall...:0 [Re: dancer9]
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
Mountain Ash,
I so agree about proportion-- gotta take the whole body into consideration. our signature style sounds very dramatic. I have a look, but don't know if I'd call it "signature." That sounds very special.

Dancer, I always like reading your tips, even though I'm not always sure I can make them work for me.

Dancer, I think I mostly wear dark and saturated rich colors, like teal, red, purple, chocolate, magenta, chartreuse (I guess that's sort of light, but it's more bright than light). I wear jeans a lot -- blue jeans, and also black, brown, and cords). And skirts just at or below the knee. A few years ago I found some mid-calf length skirts of really nice nubby fabric that I loved. And I wear dangly earring a lot, that I buy at craft shows from local craftspeople. I also have pendants I love, but don't like to wear them with earrings -- I think the earrings brighten up my face, but with necklaces it seems too overpowering. And sweaters, especially cardigans, with interesting buttons -- I have a new sweater that's a sort of turquoise and brown mix, with a zipper (a double zipper, with two "zips" on it). I like tops that are mostly fitted, like with darts. I don't like boxy-looking clothes, but ones that fit well...so I wish I knew a decent seamstress!

I used to make _all_ my own clothes. When I was a teenager, I made clothes out of curtains, tablecloths, bedspreads, sheets, and even cut up the full skirts from my mom's old dresses and made them into mini-dresses) using my own designs and patterns. When I lived in Italy, I had two friends who wanted us to start a shop together and make and sell "American" clothes but it didn't materialize (no pun intended!) In Italy, I used to make purses, hats, vests and even ottomons out of leather.

But then it got to be more expensive to sew (and knit -- I used to love to knit and crochet too) than to buy clothes...I haven't found any good seamstresses around here. The last one I sent to was very untalented and pretty much ruined a few of my clothes. I think more than anything, I like interesting fabric. In the past few years we've seen more linen, for example.

#163592 - 10/23/08 04:36 PM Re: A few things for fall...:0 [Re: DJ]
Mountain Ash Offline

The seamstress here works with another but my lady was a senior machienist for MARKS AND SPENCER.until the company started using suppliers from out East.These ladies bought the factory machines and started doing bridal/prom/evening and boy they are superb.
My lady could not make a pattern..thats not her skill but even having trousers shortened she is so good.she is a star.
Know what you mean about jewellry. I put one on today then took it off..was going to the city..lunch and an appointment and earrings were all I needed.
Texture really matters..linen...and fine woollens.layered. Daughter brought paminas from CHINA..But cheaper are lovely too.

I bought a beret today..it has aplacae flowers so it will either be admired or ignored !! Whatever my head will be warm.

I too have remade clothes from fabric..so we have that in common.
Mountain ash

#163593 - 10/23/08 04:40 PM Re: A few things for fall...:0 [Re: Mountain Ash]
Mountain Ash Offline

My beret is red..and I do wear purple..

Warning

When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
With a red hat which doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
And satin sandals, and say we've no money for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired
And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
And run my stick along the public railings
And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
And pick flowers in other people's gardens
And learn to spit.

You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat
And eat three pounds of sausages at a go
Or only bread and pickle for a week
And hoard pens and pencils and beermats and things in boxes.

But now we must have clothes that keep us dry
And pay our rent and not swear in the street
And set a good example for the children.
We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.

But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.

Jenny Joseph

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved